Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (03/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Re: Brighton & Hove Albion v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Croydon »

kenthammer1984 wrote:What does a "where's the money?!" Gesture look like?
I think he was rubbing his thumb and fingers together
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Jinxed said that they were effectively trying to force him out no? I doubt any of these players are happy playing for these owners. I would imagine Collins is no different.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Their second was no fluke Doc - absolutely placed it, picked his spot .
Yeah, I take it back. Looked so good I couldn't believe he meant it.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Sam Byram 42 % pass completions today. I think that’s worst stat I’ve ever seen a PL player have shocking
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Gollivan’s Travels.........geddit?
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Posters and placards might be banned from home games but if the lads and lasses and kids get organised, get one letter put on a t-shirt each and stand in a line.....lots of lines..........lots of blocks of seats.....

Excuse me sir, can i see your undergarment.....is that an “O” I see.....lmfao :lol:

Coloured paper works just as well, or the t shirts from the very last match at the Boleyn.....now that would be cooking with gas
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Jinxed said that they were effectively trying to force him out no? I doubt any of these players are happy playing for these owners. I would imagine Collins is no different.
We have had to rely on him in recent games and he clearly feels great animosity towards the owners. He can show it of course though I can see repercussions, which in itself says a lot about the clubs state, but the other players can't be so free to express themselves but one does have to wonder how many are for whatever reason equally alienated and fundamentally pissed off by them, their antics, mouthy utterings, lack of investment, the constant amateurism, lies, controversies and general demeaner of the club now. What we have seen on the pitch is just one example of the underlying disillusion and mistrust I am sure that's been building over a long period.

Just as Henry's utterings are likely indicative of something greater (however unclear the details may be) I can't help but think Collins extraordinary gesture expresses a general dissolution and disgust wider than his own personal player dispute. It will be a massive test of Moyes steely resolve to see if he can turn this failing moral around again I reckon, it does seem endemic now. Meanwhile I sure that even if he does there will be another demoralising event around the corner. And that's the problem it just wears the participants down after a while whatever the initial optimism or enthusiasm.
Last edited by e-20 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

richneal wrote:Yes, for parts of the game our defending was inexplicable but midfield was where we lost the game
As is the case with just about every match where we've performed poorly (which is most of them). It's getting a bit predictably boring now.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

bubbles500 wrote:Sam Byram 42 % pass completions today. I think that’s worst stat I’ve ever seen a PL player have shocking
Still the best option we have at wing back.

He seems to be being weirdly scapegoated today, but it was refreshing to see him up and down the line, be able to sprint back if he'd been up the field, and darting into the box.

Almost seemed superhuman for a wing back to be able to attack the back post, and also be a defender.
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

I said a few weeks back that the 4 games v Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton and Watford ...3 of which were at HOME we needed at the very least 6 to 8 points out of a possible 12. We have 2.

and people were pleased with scraping a draw v Palace....... :?
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Second best in most departments yesterday to round off a very bad week for the club in general.

A point a game will ensure survival this season - so we are on course to achieve our annual ambition.

Very impressed with Mario - work rate seems incredible, and his overall ability and play. I haven't checked stats but would imagine he covered a pretty fair distance on that field.

Great goal for Hernandez, but his days holding the fort are numbered. The cavalry has finally arrived. He should do better with others around him, if he keeps his place that is.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Brighton deserved to win , they played better while we were not at the races. We are not good enough to predict any win over any side in the PL. Maybe the top 5 can expect to win against bottom sides but even they are losing games, so why should we be shocked? Just get ready for the next battle and do better. We've had a good run of 6 games without a loss , now its time to begin again.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Claret & Blue World wrote:I said a few weeks back that the 4 games v Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton and Watford ...3 of which were at HOME we needed at the very least 6 to 8 points out of a possible 12. We have 2.

And apparently we've just enjoyed a good run of late! Just 2 points from 9 including 2 Home matches against Teams struggling down the bottom end of the table when we played them isn't good enough.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we were poor if only we had a DM next window I wonder who we will be "after"

we set up too defensive to cover for the failure in the middle. is the answer really zaba in the middle

zaba and noble in midfield is too slow. most teams will target this and play around them.

brighton deserved to win by more !

lose to Watford aand we are in serious trouble

Collins was slow and out of position most of the match. is that because the midfield gets bypassed ?

cresswell was awful yesterday but we have no choice but to play him somewhere
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Patito wrote:It was clearly a shot

We’ve seen before he’s got a shot like that in his locker...
But only gets it out when he is playing West Ham.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Having rewatched the "highlights" this morning Cresswell's challenge for their first goal really was appalling. Could easily have seen red and would have deserved it.

5-1 would have been a fair result. Second half was pitiful.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Iron George wrote:
But only gets it out when he is playing West Ham.
Because we invite it. If you are content to defend your 18 yard box then this happens from time to time.

Most of the time you block it or it goes in row z.

We don't have the legs to press in the middle and our wingbacks are more wing than back so the options are limited. Same problems we've had for years. Brighton just seem better set up to exploit it that some other teams.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

hammerman11 wrote: we set up too defensive to cover for the failure in the middle. is the answer really zaba in the middle
I agree. I'm broadly supportive of Moyes, but yesterday I think he was wrong to stick with the same 11 and set the team up to play deep. That line up worked against Palace because we pressed them and harried them into mistakes. Yesterday it was all too easy for BHA. They shifted the ball about really well and our midfield three were just constantly chasing shadows.
hammerman11 wrote: zaba and noble in midfield is too slow. most teams will target this and play around them.
But not evident against Palace. They are a bit slow, so don't set them up in a way that requires them to use whatever limited acceleration/pace they have to constantly closed down a team controlling possession. Get them higher up and in their faces - it's what Zab and Noble in particular love to do.

I though it was evident Ginge was having a bit of a mare after 20mins. He came rushing out and completely missed a header, a few skewed passes, a missed interception....all early on. Then he damaged his knee...should have been whipped off at half time.

I think the whole team was destined to play with a bit of nerves and a bit more tense after the week we have had. But I think our midfield was starting off on the back foot due to the set up. Collins just had one of his days. Cresswell, well, is that his level now? Nowhere near his best and has been like that for ages. I don't think he wants to be here anymore, personally, but we'll see in the summer I guess.

I do love how Chicarito is fighting for his place. He's taken a fair bit of flak and yesterday just shows what he can do. He seems more involved in the build up play now. Ok, he's not going to hold the ball up in a way we might want in the current system, but his application seems spot on. I really hope we keep him and he wants to ultimately stay.

Next match is crucial.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

It has well and truly started...

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Respect that it’s about Brady & Sullivan - obvious for a while that Santa is merely an unwilling unfortunate accomplice these days