Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by mumbles87 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:They have made a massive deal about wages and I suspect that is why they have reduced squad size. Its the ongoing cost that's affecting their bottom line.

They went for players on big wages that haven't increased in value or attracted suitors (Ayew the exception) and the success hasn't been relative.

So Hernandez £140k wages
Hart on a rumoured £130K
Aurnautovic on £100K
Carroll on £80K
Reid on £70K
Well Hernandez is worth it, you need to pay those wages to get players like him in however hart 130 k? so when he buggers off in the summer we free up a chunk of wages to actually invest back into the squad? in theory ofc.. in reality David the Smaller needs new Cuban heels
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

would get rid of all of them bar arnie

reid always injured and been poor when he has played 15m
carroll what do you say about him 15m
Hernandez scored a good goal did very little else, been poor 15m
hart waste of time loan expiry summer 2018
Collins great servant but past his best and slow, cant see another season out of him especially as we also have fonte and zabaleta as old players

need replacements and a defensive midfield player

we will have no real strikers apart from hugill who has just joined, what a mess. 2 strikers needed

cant see the dildos buying sufficiently to replace that lot !
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

hammerman11 wrote:would get rid of all of them bar arnie

Collins great servant but past his best and slow, cant see another season out of him especially as we also have fonte and zabaleta as old players

we will have no real strikers apart from hugill who has just joined, what a mess. 2 strikers needed

In your own words Reid is always injured and is poor yet you think we’ll get £15 million for him?

Likewise for Carroll? Chelsea were desperate, we won’t get so lucky in the summer, that’s if he can even pass a medical.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

thejackhammer wrote:
In your own words Reid is always injured and is poor yet you think we’ll get £15 million for him?

Likewise for Carroll? Chelsea were desperate, we won’t get so lucky in the summer, that’s if he can even pass a medical.
Exactly. See this a lot on here. “ X player is ****, we should sell - £15m”

Our wage bill against the quality we have tells you we will struggle to shift the underperforming players for any real money.

The likes of Carroll and Fonte will see out their contracts or go for nominal fees. We’d be lucky to get half what we paid for Hernandez as the demand isn’t there. Ditto Snodders.. Cresswell and Byram are probably worth about what we paid.

Only the players we want to keep would demand any kind of fee. Going to be another make and mend in the summer. Probably already lining up some freebies looking to top up their pension pot.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We supposedly sold Fletcher and Randolph for a combined £12m - I'd imagine we'd do better than that with Byram and Cresswell, tbf.

Carroll will still pull £10m+ I 'd guess. It's chicken feed for a striker and is a reserve striker fee at most PL clubs.

I could imagine Snodgrass going for £7m-£8m if Villa come up. He's done well there, they are likely to stick I would think.
MB

Post by MB »

Fletcher and Randolph earn about £3 a week between them which means the cost over the life of the contract is minimal even with a £5-7m fee (which I would be surprised if we actually got that for them).

£10m for Carroll on a three year deal means he costs you £8m a year with his wages. That is a serious chunk of change.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

hammerman11 wrote:would get rid of all of them bar arnie

ironically Arnie is the one player every fan would keep right now but a lot questioned his signing as was it needed.. where as hernandez was hailed as a excellent signing and now he is the one we are questioning

must say id agree.. out of the 2 id sell hernandez

£5 million each for Carroll and Reid sounds more realistic tho .. their always injured
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

The issue is knowing what market we are going to be shopping in. Premier or championship. I personally think our season rests on Watford next week. That game should tell us whether yesterday was a blip or whether the behind the scenes shenanigans has created apathy at all levels. I genuinely think that if we lose next week we won't win another game this season.

Whether we stay up or go down we should be aiming for the same players. The Hughill's, Maddison's, Cairney's, McGinns and a few others from the championship / SPL. We are not and never will be a top table player. We seem to have created a situation where overseas clubs will no longer trust our board. Did we start shopping overseas because this country had Sussed them ? If so, we are in an even worse state than it appears.

If we stay up we are going to be dealing with recently wealthy Wolves, the return of Snodgrass and Villa and maybe Fulham or Derby. We go down we are going to be up against Sheffield Utd, Milwall, Leeds, Cardiff. No love lost with any of these teams so that and us being the big scalp again means that we need to have fit battlers who can play 3 games regularly.

If we go down we will be down a while.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Hammerman1

Seeing your description of Collins shouldn't we then be looking to get shot of Noble, or as I suspect he's allowed to be Slow, and past his best coz ee's a fan and from Cannin tahn.

I keep thinking if we really want to be competitive the summer budget needs to be nearer £150 mill that gets you 10 15mill players the going rate for an average run of the mill player. as we have seen top class players go for inexess of £50 million,
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Look again at the list of players on high wage long term contracts and little or no sell on value.

Would you buy a club knowing you'd have to either keep them on their existing contracts or pay them off and rebuild?
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Look again at the list of players on high wage long term contracts and little or no sell on value.

Would you buy a club knowing you'd have to either keep them on their existing contracts or pay them off and rebuild?
No, because I wouldn't be able to flog their ground (someone beat me to it).
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Swansea's Fer and Bony are both out for the season with serious injuries. At least no-one in the relegation mix wasn't daft enough to strengthen them in the last window...... :o
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

smuts wrote:Swansea's Fer and Bony are both out for the season with serious injuries. At least no-one in the relegation mix wasn't daft enough to strengthen them in the last window...... :o
:cry:
MB

Post by MB »

smuts wrote:Swansea's Fer and Bony are both out for the season with serious injuries. At least no-one in the relegation mix wasn't daft enough to strengthen them in the last window...... :o
An offer too good to turn down and just look how much better we are with that new DMC it funded... oh...er...well... :thdn: