West Ham Utd 2-0 Watford (10/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm not so sure that Moyes wants us to be pinned back in our own box, even when he is trying to be defensive. We just lack the ability to retain possession when under pressure and that's been the case for a few years. When you lack the ability to pass the ball out of your own half and resort to long clearances, it allows the opposition to push more and more players forward into our half and just keep a handful back to mop up the long balls. To be fair, Moyes identified the fact that we need to pass better some time ago. Having a player back there like dendonker or carvalho would help a lot with that. Zabaleta also seems to struggle with a passing game, and antonio/masuaku prefers to dribble out of his own half... which is great on the rare occasion it works but more often than not ends up with us losing possession. Kouyate also likes to run with it out of his half as his passing game is not up to much. Collins and cresswell like a long ball. Noble can pass but can't do it single handedly.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

What a difference Big Marko makes
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

hammerman11 wrote:I hate it and would love to go back but we cant. days ike yesterday make you forget the crap seats, sterile environment, plastics, stop/go boards,etc.
I have my west ham routine carpeneters, ribman, west ham, carpenters
not the same as green street but bearable until we get new owners in 5 years or so
Don’t get too complacent Hammerman, it’s exactly what they want. A few wins to placate the fans and they hope all issues will melt away. Sick as a pig I wasn’t there but that is my choice against the crap stadium and I have to live with it. Time is on their side, we can only keep the pressure on. Already Sullivan is trying to ‘modify’ things due to discontent. Roll on 10th March when the pressure steps up several notches. I only hope it gets the right media coverage but I suspect over zealous stewarding will incite the fans. Some of them are really scary and intimidating and look highly trained in physical confrontation and do not engage with the fans other than barking orders with a threatening stare. Gone are the days of the friendly banter with ‘our own’ stewards, these guys are there for a reason and it’s not to help the fans but to intimidate them to obedience or crush them. It is no doubt intentional and another example of our owners intolerance, even slanging banter is no longer acceptable with fans being harassed and ejected at the Watford match for nothing more than that.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

pezza20 wrote:Bit of a strange one asking for Mario to be signed permanently ... off the back of today's perfromance which was probably his worst since joining. He was easily outmuscled today and didn't affact the game as he has done, but he's new to this league.
He did look a bit lightweight in a couple of situations today, but the referee gave us nothing in particular when Watford went in pushing our players in the back. He looks intelligent enough as a player to learn from days like today, and as you say, he is new to this league.
What I am impressed with is his free-kick taking - he has the knack of putting in balls just beyond the defensive line from wide positions that are really difficult to defend against, and was only a hair-line offside decision from getting a great assist with one of those yesterday.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'm not so sure that Moyes wants us to be pinned back in our own box, even when he is trying to be defensive. We just lack the ability to retain possession when under pressure and that's been the case for a few years. When you lack the ability to pass the ball out of your own half and resort to long clearances, it allows the opposition to push more and more players forward into our half and just keep a handful back to mop up the long balls. To be fair, Moyes identified the fact that we need to pass better some time ago. Having a player back there like dendonker or carvalho would help a lot with that. Zabaleta also seems to struggle with a passing game, and antonio/masuaku prefers to dribble out of his own half... which is great on the rare occasion it works but more often than not ends up with us losing possession. Kouyate also likes to run with it out of his half as his passing game is not up to much. Collins and cresswell like a long ball. Noble can pass but can't do it single handedly.
Beautifully put. Bilic was anything but a defensive manager yet in trying not to be, we still suffered everything you state plus getting whacked on regular occasions. Just deciding you aren't going to be defensive doesn't actually mean that you end up in their half more often than not or indeed does it guarantee good football. All the innate limitations in our squad that make that policy a self destruct mechnism becomes just that because players inability to pull it off simply exacerbates the problems and deficiencies with a generous sprinkling of that total lack of confidence it inevitably generates, suffering week in week out on the pitch. Unless and until the squad make up allows for a more expansive play based on possession this is the only way we will stay in the game, both literal and metaphorical to be able to build such a squad in the future.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Great result yesterday against a team who had recently beaten Chelsea 4-1 .

Watford are undoubtedly a good team , they're fit , skilful and physical but we were better than them on the day .

So , what's been the difference to the team that were languishing in 18th spot , beaten by Watford during David Moyes' first game in charge and that team yesterday , in a nutshell , David Moyes - David Moyes has transformed each and every player , under him they're all playing better , they've upped their work-rate and they're all smiling again . Chicarito is looking sharp , Arnautovic looks transformed from the sulky player getting sent off or not turning up to the star of the show , he's looking more and more like Di Canio with every passing game , a few months ago I predicted that he would break his Premiership Goal Scoring record and that prediction looks to be coming true . Antonio looked good yesterday , his run and cross for our little Mexican was superb , if he can produce more of that on a regular basis he'll be back in the England set-up . Cresswell , Ogbonna , Collins , Mario and Adrian all contributed to that victory yesterday but none more so than our bleached-blonde Austrian , he's proving to be worth every penny we spent on him , in fact Stoke were robbed .

Thank you , David Moyes , hope you're with us for years to come .
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

What was the grief about in the papers this morning?

Three men arrested for a row with stewards.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Billydinho wrote:What was the grief about in the papers this morning?

Three men arrested for a row with stewards.
I've put the piece below in the OS thread.

As most of you would have seen I happen to be 1 of the West Ham fans who was arrested yesterday,,I sit block 114 right next to away fans and it’s always good banter,,10 mins before half time I was asked to leave by stewards for no reason at all but just for singing and joining in banter with away fans,,I stayed to half time and when went downstairs to bar I was surrounded by bout 6 stewards and then throw to the ground by police ,handcuffed and taken to barking nick..I was freed this morning at5 and charged with threatening to cut a steward which is total rubbish and a poor excuse,,now I’m in court on 12 March with a banning order and public order offence,,I’m 50 years old and never been nicked at football in my life,,this club is a joke and I need take this further,,my 27 year old son was also charged and he never starts trouble,,can you help me if poss to take this to the club as I need to speak to some1 in the club.you can see the incident on Twitter and other sites..thanks
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Didn't think Watford offered anything really.

We always looked like we could get a goal or two at some point. We were much the more dangerous going forward.

The second goal confirmed the superiority I felt we had on the day.

Very comfortable I thought. Huff puff and possession from Watford but powder puff....

:thup:
NottinghamTom

Post by NottinghamTom »

Hamburger wrote:.
My mate said today that he counted 37 empty seats in his block. WTF is going on? I just watched MOD and there were hundreds of empty seats in the side areas. I’d be interested to know how many people actually turn up for a match rather than season tickets sold. Probably Baroness Brady’s middle class tourists who bought season tickets but can’t be arsed to go when it’s cold.
It’s a tough one to judge especially the east stand, i took my partner to her first game and she asked why the east stand was so empty and I had to explain to her that when younconsider that that’s where mine and some of our groups actual seats are and there are currently 9 of us sharing one seat in a different part of the ground so we can stand I can’t jmagine were the only ones doing so as there always appears to be 30 people in 4 seats. So this obviously doesn’t help and I recognise I’m part of that issue but I just can’t deal with sitting down at football.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Hammer.CA - I'd contact the FSF and WHUISA for advice for a start mate.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Albie Beck wrote:Hammer.CA - I'd contact the FSF and WHUISA for advice for a start mate.
Just to clarify, I wasn't the person involved in this incident, I don't go to the athletics stadium. He has been given the phone number of the FSF.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Hammer.CA wrote:I’m 50 years old and never been nicked at football in my life.
:lol:

I love this.

Not digging you out mate, but it implies that you have been nicked (just not at the football). Don't know if that was the intention though.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

A bit of a curate's egg.
As good as we were in the 1st half we totally ran out of steam in the 2nd, and it looked only a matter of
time before Watford equalised, only for us to nick a fluky second goal.
The 2nd half highlighted how much we need a quality DM, especially with having so many attack-minded players on the pitch. We were helped by the Watford manager inexplicably taking off Deulofeu.
On the plus side Arnautovic was immense;Collins and Ogbonna weren't far behind. In his brief cameo,
Hugill managed to upend a Watford defender with his first challenge and then got one of them booked. :thup:
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

uptonparkhurst wrote:A bit of a curate's egg.
As good as we were in the 1st half we totally ran out of steam in the 2nd, and it looked only a matter of
time before Watford equalised, only for us to nick a fluky second goal.
The 2nd half highlighted how much we need a quality DM, especially with having so many attack-minded players on the pitch. We were helped by the Watford manager inexplicably taking off Deulofeu.
On the plus side Arnautovic was immense;Collins and Ogbonna weren't far behind. In his brief cameo,
Hugill managed to upend a Watford defender with his first challenge and then got one of them booked. :thup:
:thup: how i saw it
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

davids cross wrote:Didn't think Watford offered anything really.

We always looked like we could get a goal or two at some point. We were much the more dangerous going forward.

The second goal confirmed the superiority I felt we had on the day.

Very comfortable I thought. Huff puff and possession from Watford but powder puff....

Completely disagree. Yes, Watford had more possession, but they rarely looked like doing anything with it.

Lots of endeavour from Watford, but for me we always looked more like scoring.

They lacked cutting edge and we didn't.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Aaaaaand Smonnie is at it again!
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

That goal that got ruled out for being offside, so so harsh. Any team apart from us and it’s given.

Thought we could of had three or four if everyone would of taken their chances.

Hernandez is starting to bed in a bit more now with more game time.

Arnie is a class above and was the best player on the pitch yesterday by a country mile. We’ve definitely missed him in the last few games.

Adrian had a good game too yesterday, and don’t wish to be harsh on Mario but I think Deulofeu is the better player, we should of gone for him imho.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Hammer.CA wrote:Just to clarify, I wasn't the person involved in this incident, I don't go to the athletics stadium. He has been given the phone number of the FSF.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Moyes post match interview.

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mpKdryPJ7rY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]