[POLL] The Champions statue

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Champions statue: Upton Park or Stratford?

Move to Stratford
16%
Leave at Upton Park
78%
Unsure
6%

Total votes: 361

WestHamIFC

Re: [POLL] The Champions statue

Post by WestHamIFC »

Has anyone bothered to ask Hurst, Peters and the Moore family what they would prefer?

:think:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

WestHamIFC wrote:Has anyone bothered to ask Hurst, Peters and the Moore family what they would prefer?

:think:
Good point.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Leave where it is
Owners can pay for a replica out of the 7% interest payment they took out of the club
matthewbd
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Leave it.

It belongs there.

Build a new one for the London Stadium.

Moore, Hurst and Peters played in East Ham. Any sign that we used to play there has all but gone, lets leave something.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Assuming our owners would never spend money on a new version/replica (fairly safe assumption to make), I'd actually prefer to see it over at Stratford now personally.

I totally understand people wanting it to remain in the Upton Park area but for me, we have moved now and we are not going back.

It'd give me that little feeling of pride in my stomach each time I walk past it on the way to the ground and I'd be able to shake my head at it on the way back out while muttering something like 'he'd be appalled if he was around to watch that'.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

AMC1964 wrote:100% leave it there. It should become a place of pilgrimage for the faithful. Wreaths left there on Bobby's birthday or 24th Feb. A complete reminder of the great football club that was previously up the road.
In theory I’d agree with this 100% but....

The only thing it’s used for is a seat for locals drinking tins and the only thing left there are chicken shop bones.

I think the “idea” of it remaining is a lot more romantic than the reality.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz »

Leave it exactly where it is
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

What happened to Fulham's Michael Jackson statue? We could get that pretty cheap and stick it outside the OS. Maybe even repaint it claret and blue if budget allows.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

The statue has nothing to do with athletics.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Leave it there. We'd only go for the cheapest quote to move it anyway and it would fall off the back of the low loader.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

When it was first mooted I thought it’s a no brainer. Take it with us; it belongs at our home. I still agree with that last bit; it does belong at our home. To me our home will forever be Upton Park. Once these new flats are up there will only be tiny reminders of what once was; other than in the shared memories. The statue belongs there and it should remain there. The players depicted called that home. A far cry from what we have become.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Martin Peters was born in Plaistow and Bobby Moore in Barking. I always saw it as a bit of a "local lads" statue, as well as a West Ham thing of course.

The Champions Statue "cost £725,000 in all, with £400,000 coming from a Government grant, and the bulk of the remainder from the football club" (back in 2003).

A new decent (not GSB cheapo) statue would probably therefore cost the club about a million today? Will they spend a million pound on goodwill, and would it quash the current unrest? Doubtful on both counts I say.

Everyone in football knows "We won the ****ing world cup" so it's a big shame we don't have this represented at the new place.

Personally I'd like to see a replica on the main walkway (which should be renamed The West Ham Way), then smaller ones of Brooking, Bonds, Lyall, and Noble around the stadium.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Since we have Champions Place with poor quality fading stones inserted, they need a Champions Statue

So the 1981 Division 2 Champions Team will do
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Leave it at our spiritual home.........I don't want those three ponces anywhere near it :crest:
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

Looking on here I think I must be one of the few who is not at all sentimental about this statue. If it had been commissioned
in the late 60s maybe I would be. As it stands I just see it as another afterthought from people who should have shown their respect and gratitude when Bobby was still alive.

Leave it be.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Leave it where it is.
wildkard wrote:What happened to Fulham's Michael Jackson statue? We could get that pretty cheap and stick it outside the OS.
Perhaps Sully could try and loan it off Fayed? Mind you he'd probably f*** that deal up too... :wink:
Demo
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Demo »

I voted to leave it at Upton Park, but only so long as it stays where it is. If the plan is to move it to the middle of the housing complex and that means that it won't be accessible to the public then I would move it to Stratford.

Ideally it will stay exactly where it is.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I just keep getting this vision of Sullivan organising a replica made of fibre glass ala Del Boy in only fools and horses with mums headstone, and Sullivan on a ladder painting it with some luminous on loan paint.

It would be seen for miles around.. It says where it is if sully wants a statue to mark our new heritage then so be.
Mitten
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Mitten »

Leave where it is. More people will see it in UP than at the soulless QE park.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

we should get a statue that represents the daves' legacy though.

i'm thinking mido and benni mac having a kebab face off, with chamakh as the ref.