Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (24/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DasNutNock

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by DasNutNock »

I’m dreaming of a Hugill winner to add his name to the pantheon.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

The way Liverpool have been playing this season they're due another 4-0 where they absolutely blitz it. We haven't got the defence to stop it. I'd love to be wrong.
artlin

Post by artlin »

We should have some decent options for this game.

Lanzini back. Antonio fitter.

Kouyate at CB, Mario alongside Noble.

Lanzini, Hernandez and Arnoutovic going forward.

I think that we should have enough to take them on.

Games like this, everyone ups their workrate. That includes the manager and coaches. They will be keen to show their worth as well as the players.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Moyes will be dusting off the Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Tottenham blue print for this one.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Let's be honest we need to play as deep as possible with the pace they have, make the most of the counter and set-pieces, going at them would be suicide
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Saturday's win takes a lot of the pressure off for this one, can at least go there now hoping for a point instead of desperately needing one...

1-3 to them. Think we'll score but that front three against our defence will keep me up the night before!
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Write it off, get no more injuries and move on to Swansea! And save Lanzini for them! Is that too pessimistic even for me!!! :lol:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Sir_Trevor wrote:I see what you mean and I don't agree with pandering to player power, but I would be very wary about dropping Hernandez and risking upsetting him just when he is getting into a rich vein of form.
The compromise Moyes may make, I guess, is Hernandez and Arnie start while Antonio comes on for the last half hour.

Liverpool would target Antonio's lack of stamina and erratic distribution if he is left anywhere near the back line.

OTOH, his heading ability would most likely frighten the life out of Moreno, Robertson, Alexander Arnold etc if we can get balls in near their full backs.

As good as they are going forward, they're pretty ropey defensively.

Moyes might go with 7 defensively and three up. Got to fancy Antonio, Arnie and Hernandez against their back line.

Slaven had a very good record against this lot until the last two games. He just used to play over the top of the press. The teams we've fielded in the last two against these have been hugely weakened, but they were wobbling when Carroll came on in the last home game.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2938 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:. He just used to play over the top of the press.
Very sensible tactic.

I fancy us to score a goal , I'm not sure we'll have them draw a blank though .

Salah is on fire at the moment, I'd be tempted to stick Kouyate on him all afternoon.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

Oops, sorry, wrong thread.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

hammerleroy wrote:Write it off, get no more injuries and move on to Swansea! And save Lanzini for them! Is that too pessimistic even for me!!! :lol:
Whilst I also think there is not much chance of getting anything up there I don't believe we should ever 'write off' any fixture. You've got to go into every game giving it your best. This is the main issue I had with Alladyce and why me and many others were not happy with the Shrewsbury/Wigan fiasco.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Nothing to fear going up there. No defeat in our last three trips up there, two clean sheets and five goals scored.

It's like a home from home 'these days'.

:lol:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

3-1 loss, if we are lucky, can't see anything else
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Hard to argue with an unchanged lineup for this one.

As much as we're wary of Liverpool's considerable attacking threat - they are great - Liverpool demonstrate equally considerable frailties in defence. Erratic doesn't even begin to describe it.

Still, parking the bus and playing on the counter is probably the only way we'll nick a point up there.They are absolutely going to be scared to death of Arnie - no-one, least of all his teammates - knows what he's going to do, so I don't know how they can predict it either. They will expect the usual slew of through balls to Arnie but they may not have the back four to deal with it. Man marking him doesn't work either - too fast, too strong and quick feet.

Problems in lots of areas for us: Antonio's consistently poor touch, inconsistent crosses & poor defensive awareness . . . Zabaletta's lack of pace . . . Hernandez's lack of pace . . . Noble's lack of pace, Collins lack of pace etc. On the positive side: Antonio blusters through and outpaces most . . . Zabaletta did very well last week and was determined in the tackle to say the least. Hernandez knows where the back of the net is. Noble provides our only strong midfield anchor. Collins was great last week. Don't think we can drop any of them.

As you can guess, I'm worried that we'll get burned by their speedy midfield and forwards. Only way to counter that is to sit back and not give them the space to run, which probably means giving them something like 70% possession as a wall gets built in front of our 18-yard box. Can't see our midfield holding up if we press them.

The right through ball and an early goal for us might mean we've got a chance of nicking a point on the counter
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

4-1 to the Scouse..
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Pace...the final frontier... mission is to frustrate them, choke the life out of Salah’s supply and hope the rest of their other 5 attackers has a bad day.
I am hopeful we can drag a point out of this one..it’ll be very tough, but they can be got at and with our lads fully tuned...and a game plan from Moyes to spring their defensive weaknesses...possibilities
If we are expected to get beat, we might as well do it with style...and not let it happen.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

No scarier than the attacking threat Man City posed. It was nothing groundbreaking but Moyes came up with the plan to thwart them and, more importantly, drilled it into the players.
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

I saw the first half of the Southampton game and Liverpool were pretty poor in defence, Ward-Prowse had a couple of chances with his head and he's only 5ft 8. I would play Arnie and Antonio/Hugill for aerial threat and to press the liverpool back line into making errors.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:No scarier than the attacking threat Man City posed. It was nothing groundbreaking but Moyes came up with the plan to thwart them and, more importantly, drilled it into the players.
And we could have actually won, if a little luckier!
Still, plenty of time for Liverpool's best players to get injured in training. :oops:
I just want us to put up a better performance than we did at home. The game that did for Slav.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

A surprise 0-0 coming in this one, Salah to miss two sitters.