[POLL] The Champions statue

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Champions statue: Upton Park or Stratford?

Move to Stratford
16%
Leave at Upton Park
78%
Unsure
6%

Total votes: 361

e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: [POLL] The Champions statue

Post by e-20 »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:I just keep getting this vision of Sullivan organising a replica made of fibre glass ala Del Boy in only fools and horses with mums headstone, and Sullivan on a ladder painting it with some luminous on loan paint.

It would be seen for miles around.. It says where it is if sully wants a statue to mark our new heritage then so be.
Oh dear I just had the very valid (in the circumstances) image of the blow up sex dolls being his preferred choice. Worse still knowing Sulli he would just paint the player's faces on them.
e-20
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Ideally I would like to see the statue stick with the club after all it's bigger than these buffoons. However only if in its place a new statue with the theme of the club's history stands in its place where so much history was made. Just seems more appropriate to me tbh. Maybe wait till the dildos have left if the thought is too much to handle I guess.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Tenbury wrote:It 's where it belongs. Sadly we aren't.
Quite! :crest:
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

That soulless bowl doesn't deserve it... Leave it at home.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

kayahammer wrote:Build another one. One in each location.

The one at Stratford should be 40 feet tall and be mounted on the roof so you can see it on the approach from miles around
Excellent idea :thup:
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Anyone thought of asking 83 year old Ray Wilson what he thinks? Always seemed strange to me that it wasn't just our three players although I appreciate it was copied from the iconic photo. Everton fans were delighted to see him there anyway! I reiterate what I said earlier, it must be left where it is. We've gotta have something to remember our days there. :crest:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

[quote="hammerleroy"]Anyone thought of asking 83 year old Ray Wilson what he thinks? Always seemed strange to me that it wasn't just our three players although I appreciate it was copied from the iconic photo. /quote]

Ray Wilson was put in on purpose and represents the eight reserves we had in our team that day. :wink:
leyton Hammer
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by leyton Hammer »

Leave them where they are. If the 3 stooges are that worried about the statue, im sure they between them they could afford to get a new one built for the Bowl, could add the likes of Bill, Trev, John Lyall etc. Not sure I trust them to do it in a classy and stylish way like the original in the Barking Road though.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

James P wrote:Make a new one at Stratford but with our new world class heroes from our new home. Payet, Zaza, Ayew, Mario. I bet these days they could even do one with changeable heads for when a player’s loan period finishes.
Brilliant! :D
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

If the statue really does belong to the club I wouldn't put it past Sullivan to flog it..
Or loan it - for a fee - to one of Ray Wilson's former clubs.
(Wouldn't you rather have money available for transfers? blah,blah)
Jiminy_Cricket

Post by Jiminy_Cricket »

I understand the sentiment on leaving it where it is. However I am not convinced there are a significant number of people in the area who appreciate the statue. For that reason I say bring it over as a start to making the place more like a home.
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Leave it where it is.

And honour some of our other legends by building a new one of them to have at Stratford.

Suggestions:
Bonds ?
Lyall ?
Di Canio ?
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Overchuffed wrote:Leave it where it is.

And honour some of our other legends by building a new one of them to have at Stratford.

Suggestions:
Bonds ?
Lyall ?
Di Canio ?
Having said that...if the argument for not moving the WC winners statue is that they never played at Stratford and their "home" is where they are, then the only possible person to have a statue at the new place is Mark Noble. I wouldn't have any problems with that.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Perhaps we could have a statue of three of Manchester City's Superstars outside Stratford, updated regularly, so we don't have to wait a season to see them?
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

Jiminy_Cricket wrote:I understand the sentiment on leaving it where it is. However I am not convinced there are a significant number of people in the area who appreciate the statue. For that reason I say bring it over as a start to making the place more like a home.
Just out of interest, where do you live JC?
Last edited by Hammerite on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Leave it there 100%. The onl real 'West Ham' thing left.

If they want one at the stadium, build a new one
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

They put statues up in a specific place for a reason. It doesn't matter if that reason currently doesn't relate to the area because its about history. Three West Ham players played an important part in winning the world cup and they played for us 200 yards from where the statue is. Lets not try and change history, we are not Gold , Sullivan or Brady. They never played in Stratford.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

what about if they took it to stratford but commissioned a statue of the man utd team bus arriving for the last game ?
Boo Boo
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Boo Boo »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive picture and comment removed .Can we keep it classy please, thank you .
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Jiminy_Cricket wrote:I understand the sentiment on leaving it where it is. However I am not convinced there are a significant number of people in the area who appreciate the statue. For that reason I say bring it over as a start to making the place more like a home.
Half the people sat near me in the OS probably wouldn’t know who all the statue figures were

Maybe we could move it to somewhere between the stadium and the walk to it.

Replace the Jules Rimet with a “Stop/Go” sign in Bobby Moore’s hand.