Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (24/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by stu1 »

All I know is I don’t want to see Antonio at LWB vs Salah.

That would be suicide.
traxop

Post by traxop »

To those advocating for Antonio to start up top, wouldn't it make more sense to use Hugill instead. He's more of a natural target-man.

Surely the fans aren't having visions of passes along the ground making their way to Antonio. The ball is going to be pumped up field, and I don't have any confidence in Antonio's control and hold-up play with his back to their goal.

Pairing Antonio with Arnie will just end up being an exercise in frustration for Arnie. He won't have a partner next to him that can make those runs of the shoulders of the last defender, nor will he have someone in midfield(if we are to replace Mario for the game as some are suggesting) to execute that through-pass to him when he makes those same runs.
Last edited by traxop on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

I have a bad feeling about this....
The defence will be in for a real tough test. Salah is scoring for fun. Can’t see us shutting them out for any kind of clean sheet.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Frankly, we played like strangers, last time out against this lot. Drunken ones, at that.

For a split second, though, after we'd troubled them once and scored from it, we revealed their weaknesses. It was just symptomatic of our play at the time that we conceded about a minute later. Game over.

We just need two strikers on precisely the same wavelength; I think we'll create a chance or two.

Realistically though, a draw, a point and a neutral move re g/d, and the job's a good un.

Arnautovic to notch.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

traxop wrote:To those advocating for Antonio to start up top, wouldn't it make more sense to use Hugill instead. He's more of a natural target-man.
He's also a striker, which Antonio isn't. We need to stick to playing players in their proper positions, that's the barrier minumum. We didn't sign a striker for 12m, and sell Ayew to a rival for 18m, to then play a winger up front I really hope not anyway.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

They like to counter and we don’t attack. 0-0. They’ve had six draws at home this season already...
Castle
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Castle »

Same team for me, consistantcy is the key. Be nice to have the same team out, allowing Arnie and Hernandez to work on their partnership. If Antonio can't fit into LWB then he has no place in the team. Mario, Arnie and Hernandez are all more creative, as is Lanzini when he returns.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

arlhe wrote:For those of you doubting Ginge...

Perhaps his finest ever performance was at Anfield, when Suarez was on fire and he kept him tied up in his back pocket the whole game. He had no pace then either and Suarez was like lightening. Ginge just dispossessed him every time.

We drew 0-0 that day. No doubt we drop Collins this time and lose 3-0.
Ah, remember it well! That was pure class :crest:
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

I'd take a point :lol:

In all seriousness, bar City, I reckon they have the best attack in the league, although Mane hasn't been as good in recent times.

Their back four however, atrocious, and even with Van Dijk they can be got at.

If Arnie, Antonio, Chicharito and Mario all start I fancy us to at least score, but it depends how attack minded Moyes decides to go.
zuggs4

Post by zuggs4 »

Didn't Antonio play up top when we drew 2-2 there (last season I think?) and scored? To be clear, I'm not proposing that Antonio be asked to play up top and hold the ball. We need him running the channels and looking for the ball over the top to run onto. Him or Arnie in a foot race against someone like Lovren...there is only going to be one winner :crest:

I agree with Jumby's point we should try and play players in their natural positions, but you also have to look at each opposition's weaknesses and pick the players that are most likely to exploit them, regardless of how much we spent on Hugill. Antonio would do that (and would mean he is no-where-near LWB against Salah which would be a disaster).
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Why would Antonio against Salah be a disaster? He’s our only player with the place to catch him.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

thejackhammer wrote:Why would Antonio against Salah be a disaster? He’s our only player with the place to catch him.
That assumes he is within 10 yards of him in the first place!
zuggs4

Post by zuggs4 »

thejackhammer wrote:Why would Antonio against Salah be a disaster? He’s our only player with the place to catch him.
His positional awareness in that position is shocking tbh, he gets caught up the pitch all the time. Sure, that's good when you're going forward, but when you're asked to sit deep and soak up pressure and tackle the hottest player in the league right now, you're leaving yourself open. It's the same reasons Antonio continually got targeted when Bilic played him RWB, which was a failure. Antonio doesn't have a defensive brain, did you see when he passed it straight back into our crowded penalty area in the second half against Watford? No thanks.

Cresswell has his flaws, but is an actual LB, has better defensive positioning and would leave Antonio free to play further up and monster their weak defence. :thup:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

He’s also very likely to get caught napping and in his desperation to get back at Salah end up bundling him over in the box.

Too many people seem to underestimate the qualities required to be a decent full back or wing back, being quick and strong is great but it means little if you don’t understand how to play the position.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

zuggs4 wrote:
Antonio doesn't have a defensive brain
I don't even think he has a footballing brain in general to be honest, unlike that of a player like Arnautovic. Antonio has Great pace and strength but he suits situations where he doesn't have to think :lol: Gets his head down, runs, and crosses the ball. This is why he is a good winger, and not a striker or Right back.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Why are people even talking about Antonio as a wing back??

With Cresswell and Evra both in the squad, plus Reid Fonte and Rice expected to be fit and available, there is just no reason why we would need Antonio to play there. He is a winger/forward.

Unless Rush Green has it's wicked way with any of them... I'd expect to see...

----------------------- Adrian ----------------------
Zabaleta Ogbonna Collins Reid Cresswell
------------ Noble Mario Kouyate --------------
----------- Arnautovic Hernandez -------------

Hart, Evra, Fonte, Byram, Rice, Antonio, Hugill

(maybe Lanzini on the bench over Byram or Evra... be good to get him back into it with some competitive minutes before the Swansea game)
zuggs4

Post by zuggs4 »

sutts07 wrote:Why are people even talking about Antonio as a wing back??
Everything else you say is true mate, but the reason people are mentioning Antonio at LWB is because that's where he played last game, against Watford. Had a couple of posters advocating we keep exactly the same line-up for Liverpool, which IMO would not work with Antonio at LWB :thup:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

zuggs4 wrote: the reason people are mentioning Antonio at LWB is because that's where he played last game,
Not the game I was at. It was a flat back four, four across the middle and two up top (a traditional David Gold 442, some would say) and Antonio played as a very attacking left midfielder (more like left wing in the first half) but admittedly he hung back a bit in the last half an hour after his legs went.

He wasn't a wing back though. Not even at the end of the game when we were digging in.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

——————- Adrian ——————
——- ogbonna Collins cresswell ——
Zabaleta Mario Noble Lanzini Antonio
—————- Chico Arnie —————
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

My_Sobriquet wrote:——————- Adrian ——————
——- ogbonna Collins cresswell ——
Zabaleta Mario Noble Lanzini Antonio
—————- Chico Arnie —————
We need to look after possession to have any chance of relieveinh the pressure they are going to put on us