The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

DrVenk
Has liked: 352 likes
Total likes: 464 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by DrVenk »

bongo wrote:This is really hard for me.

I am 60 and retired and live alone.
My mum was in the exact same position after being widowed 8 years ago. She joined a local over 55s social club and it gave her a renewed sense of life.

Sometimes taking a random step of throwing yourself into the company of strangers can take you out of yourself and stimulate interest in life again. I'd also think about any hobbies you've stopped in your life and ask yourself why you did so.

If you saw my mum 8 years ago to where she is now, it would reinforce the view that for most of us, we all still have the ability to surprise ourselves.

Just keep talking mate and don't ever think 'this is it' in life.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

bongo wrote:Thanks for your comments Hammerdivine any help is very welcome
Tremendous scenes from bongo there..........Image

Simon Thomas (he from Sky Sports), is writing some wonderfully moving stuff on his depression.........and grief.

If you get a minute give his thoughts a read.... :thup:

EDIT.....apologies to matthew who posted the link way before me.

https://agriefshared.com/2018/02/09/my-secret-battle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

I have suffered manic depression for over 25 years. (I know, that's what comes from following Spurs.)

I have also battled an eating disorder and self-harming. This goes back to issues from childhood where I was sexually abused and beaten by a teacher in the early 1970's.

My heart goes out to anyone battling mental health issues. I nearly threw myself off a pier when I was 12 because of what that b*stard did to me. The abuse continued for three years. I never told a soul until just before Christmas when I had yet another nervous breakdown in the doctor's office. Fortunately, I am now in therapy. I have been married 30 years and I have never been able to tell my wife what happened to me as a child. The shame is too great.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Westcliffspur wrote:I have suffered manic depression for over 25 years. (I know, that's what comes from following Spurs.)

I have also battled an eating disorder and self-harming. This goes back to issues from childhood where I was sexually abused and beaten by a teacher in the early 1970's.

My heart goes out to anyone battling mental health issues. I nearly threw myself off a pier when I was 12 because of what that b*stard did to me. The abuse continued for three years. I never told a soul until just before Christmas when I had yet another nervous breakdown in the doctor's office. Fortunately, I am now in therapy. I have been married 30 years and I have never been able to tell my wife what happened to me as a child. The shame is too great.
You need have no shame, the Teacher does.
I bet you would receive loads of love, support and admiration the day you feel able to tell your wife.
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

Westcliffspur wrote:I have suffered manic depression for over 25 years. (I know, that's what comes from following Spurs.)
You know what Wcs, the fact that you posted that tells me that you are a very brave & worthwhile person.
Sexual abuse in childhood is a very well known cause of (sometimes severe) mental illness later in life.
The more I meet people in life I'm beginning to think more people have suffered sexual abuse than haven't, so you are probably in the majority. You are DEFINITELY not alone. I know that you have always been ashamed but in actual fact, you were & are entirely blameless, in that aspect of your early life.
I wish you lots of luck in one day getting to a place where you can forgive yourself & finally get the peace of mind that you deserve. Good luck, mate & post whenever you need to.
Tenbury
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by Tenbury »

WCS, I 've had a charmed life compared to you, you have my utmost respect, stick with the therapy.I hope,in time, you can find the courage ,and the right occasion to tell your wife.
As far as the manic depression(or as they like to call it Bipolar these days) is concerned, I've lived with this longer than I care to think.Feel free to PM me anytime,you won't receive any pearls of wisdom( I haven't got any) but it's helped me in bad times to know someone else has at least some idea of what's going on in my head, and I'll beglad to hear from you.
S-H
Has liked: 5726 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

matthewbd wrote:Simon Thomas, of Sky Sports News etc, has started blogging about his battles.

Worth a read I found. https://agriefshared.com/2018/02/09/my-secret-battle/
Stumbled upon this yesterday, quite a sobering read, brutally honest and extremely brave of him, considering what he has been through.

Having watched him many times on the box you would never have guessed the amount he was suffering, which is quite scary when you think about it, how many of those around you, loved ones, colleagues etc, are suffering in silent, giving nothing away.

As Simon has shown, and have the many brave folk on this thread, it's so important to open up if you can and realise you are not alone, there is no shame in admitting you are struggling and might need some help, raising awareness is key.

On that note, just a reminder that RARS is throwing himself out of a plane to raise money for Mind, the mental health charity.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steve-lee-mind
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1454 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

"Don’t be strong. Be weak. Unclench your fists. Dare to be vulnerable. Honest weakness takes courage. It affirms our common humanity, deepens friendship and elicits grace.”

Such a simple idea, but sometimes so tough to follow through with. Great to see so many on here who feel empowered to ask for help or just tell each other what they're going through.

Easily the best most important thread on KUMB right now.

And 'hat's off', RARS!

:thup:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Thank you for the donation mate. It's very, very appreciated :thup:
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

:thup:

Great work, mate. My wife works for MIND and it's a very worthy cause.

Good Luck!
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Hi Peachy.....

/|>
/\
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

:oops:

Uh oh! I suddenly feel incredibly exposed!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

davids cross wrote:Hi Peachy.....

/|>
/\
Hi Steve

davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Don't even go there Cheggers....

The bloody nightmare of my school days......Image
southbrishammer
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I haven't contributed to this thread in the past as my life has been fortunately largely free of mental health issues, either for myself or family/close friends. However over the last few days an elderly neighbour of ours, a lovely lady who lives on her own and who has helped us out on several occasions, has started hearing voices.

She had a stroke a while ago, and has been through a number of health issues recently, but over the last week she has been outside her house several times either late evening or the middle of the night, terrified because she thinks the neighbours are talking through her walls, saying things like her son has committed suicide. Tonight she somehow set off her burglar alarm, and when I managed to get her to the door, she told me that she had wedged a chest of drawers against her bedroom door, because the neighbours had told her a man was in her house to get her. I managed somehow to calm her down and sort out her bedroom, but I don't know what she might do next.

She has, I think, four adult children in various places (none particularly local) who should help her out, but she is very independent and doesn't want to leave her house, even though she doesn't feel safe. So her children don't know what to do, and in the meantime it's down to us neighbours (at least those of us who she doesn't think are out to get her) to look after when she has regular meltdowns (apologies if any of my language is inappropriate).

We would like to help out since she's helped us out in the past, but on the other hand we have enough responsibilities of our own, and she isn't really one of them. Any thoughts on how we should deal with this would be welcome.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Poor lady. And how kind of you to be so concerned, sbh.
It's a tricky one. Really her children should be involved, taking her to her gp etc. Can you contact them? Would they be able to help?
Can you try the local Mind or Age Concern? This lovely lady shouldn't have to be living in terror.
She's going to need to be properly checked out, medically. You can't talk someone out of hearing voices.
Well done you for caring. :thup:
Tenbury
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by Tenbury »

You're a good neighbour, how much better would life be if that was the norm..?

If this lady trusts you, perhaps you could try to find out who her GP is. If she won't tell you,there might be some clues (medicine bottles etc) or ask @the nearest surgery. I'm fairly sure that the GP would want to help.
Last resort, call the OB, from experience, they have radically overhauled the way they deal with these situations, and in many ways they deal better with people who are going through disturbance than other agencies (social services etc).
Good on the you for getting involved, I hope she finds some peace.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Hi everyone,

So I felt a little down as I posted a while ago. I was not able to see my GP due to work. However, I tried to remain pro-active on the matter. What I did was focus on my health and fitness. I decided to give all of my attention towards training. I followed intermittent fasting WITH a clean bulk which was in the end a bit counterproductive and quite difficult! I managed to complete 5 weeks and managed to add on just 2lbs instead of the projected 4lbs. However, I found that IF gave me some other benefits including feeling more energised and alert. I am now off IF but still eating clean and trying to bulk which is showing more progress. Even with the snow I make it a priority to go to the gym now. Training has become more enjoyable now due to progression and my new habits are part of everyday life to me now it seems.

I would advise anyone who is suffering from low moods to try to get some exercise if possible. I believe in it's positive influence. I will probably try IF again in a few months as it did help me to focus mentally and in terms of eating well and weight control I think it is a good tool for me personally. I still have days where everything is fuzzy and grey and joyless. But I stick to my regime and try to do something which is productive regardless, no matter how little it may seem.

I appreciate that everyone's situation is different and some people have a lot more difficult circumstances. For those who in London require some help more directly linked to mental health and depression, I have stumbled across an organisation which might prove invaluable. Face to face contact is so important I think, from my own experience. Depression can be so isolating so having someone to listen can be great.

The website is below if anyone is interested.

http://listeningplace.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be well guys.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Bumping this to remind anyone that it's here, if you need to post.
It might be tough now but one day it might & most probably will, be a bit better.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I was doing pretty well recently but I just found out today that I have arthritis in my knees, hands, ankle and toes.

I am turning thirty seven this year.

It has got me down to say the least.

Sorry but I just needed to get this off my chest.