what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by woodgreenspur »

[quote="Etonhammer"
Was that The Flying Scotsman.......that I never went into[/quote]
Yes.It's quite upmarket now.Completely unrecognisable to what it was...Or so i'm told,as i never went in there either.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

Blythe Hill Tavern, Catford - Bit of a mission to get there but thankfully it was worth the trip. Friendly staff and good atmosphere to watch the football, a good old fashioned boozer you might say. Began on a pint of Little White Lies, which to be honest was pretty average. Apparently it's a white stout, to me it just tasted pretty generic. The Guinness though was poured wonderfully and tasted great, probably on par with the best I've had in London alongside the Auld Shillelagh in Stoke Newington. Good pub all round really. 8.5/10.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Bucks Head - Camden

Was in there for about 3 hours on Saturday. Looks basic on the outside as well as the inside but it had two televisions for the sport. Had a few pints of Guiness whilst watching the rugby. Being funky Camden most of the customers had piercings and tats which matched the ladies behind the bar. All very friendly and offer a number of cocktails but I would say that the do not have many local customers but a lot of day trippers.

8/10 - because of the friendly staff.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

HighWycombeHammer wrote:Bucks Head - Camden

Was in there for about 3 hours on Saturday. Looks basic on the outside as well as the inside but it had two televisions for the sport. Had a few pints of Guiness whilst watching the rugby. Being funky Camden most of the customers had piercings and tats which matched the ladies behind the bar. All very friendly and offer a number of cocktails but I would say that the do not have many local customers but a lot of day trippers.

8/10 - because of the friendly staff.
That was my pre camden town gig local in the 80s.
Was the local skinhead pub.Was always really laid back,even then.
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

I used to go in here many years ago - can't remember what the beer was like but the strippers were very rough - long before we allowed the Eastern Europeans to come over and work![/quote]

I used to deliver and install fruit machines and pool tables many years ago, I remember that place!

I was putting a replacement one in there when the women's bog door opened and out walked a bird wearing nothing but a camisole top and skimpy knickers, really took me aback , I didn't realise it was a strippers pub!

You're right mate they were dead rough, real spit and sawdust gaff.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Big Red, Holloway Road, Islington: I went there Saturday and fell in love with it. Free in, 3 live bands on stage, a big square shape bar staffed by a lot of bar-staff, no probs getting served, open till 4 am (and it's bang next to Holloway Road tube station, open 24 hours at weekends) and there a great crowd of mainly rock/goth/metal/alternative\Transvestite types.

In addition there is a great selection of beers and reasonable prices - £4.40 a Guinness IIRC. There is also a big area away from the bands so you can sit/stand and chat, as well as big tables, so if you were mob handed (as we were) you can reserve one for your group so you can all stick together. The post gig music by the DJ was quality too, and if truth be told, a lot better than the live stuff. Reasonable bogs too.

I'm going to go back here again. It's like the crowbar but bigger, better and with live bands.
WHU Independent

Tapping The Admiral, Kentish Town West Met some mates here for pre gig drinks. Where has this pub been all my life! A proper old fashioned boozer with a local clientèle, selling a vast range of beers in a pub that has a great atmosphere. My mate (who is a CAMRA member) recommended this pub and it was a great choice. £3.80 a pint for a Guinness was decent (and the beer itself was excellent) and a round come to about £13 odd. Loved it !

9/10

The Fiddlers Elbow, Kentish Town West: A club/pub that shows live music. Free in (always good) and about £4.00 a pint for Guinness. It's a fairly big place with a small stage and a small bar. Service was excellent though and the intimacy of the venue means that the bands scan really engage with the audience: at one point one band had all it's members in the crowd playing and dancing along! A very welcoming venue with decent people and a lovely vibe. I'd also come back here as well. Didn't use the bogs :)

7/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

WHU Independent wrote:The Fiddlers Elbow, Kentish Town West: A club/pub that shows live music. Free in (always good) and about £4.00 a pint for Guinness. It's a fairly big place with a small stage and a small bar. Service was excellent though and the intimacy of the venue means that the bands scan really engage with the audience: at one point one band had all it's members in the crowd playing and dancing along! A very welcoming venue with decent people and a lovely vibe. I'd also come back here as well. Didn't use the bogs :)

7/10
My band played here a few years ago. Bogs ain't nothing to write home about. A certain poster on here, used to DJ there.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

My local, for some cider, ales and snacks in the sunshine. Springtime is on its way and I am HAPPY
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:

My band played here a few years ago. Bogs ain't nothing to write home about. A certain poster on here, used to DJ there.
Promote, not just DJ. Don't dumb me down ;)
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The Angel, Bermondsey / Rotherhithe - Sam Smiths pub located right on the Thames, though it seemed to stray away from the usual Sam Smith prices (thinking close to £10 for 2 pints). The service is a bit all over the place when busy and the beers certainly aren't world beaters (standard Sam Smiths really). I had 3 different types, Taddy lager which was very much the standard Taddy lager, the stout a bit better, as was the wheat beer. The views are the main reason for going to the pub all in all, they are fantastic, seeing the Shard, Tower Bridge and the City whilst sat on the sofa. Could definintely be improved but the views give it a few more points alone, 6.5/10.

The Mayflower, Rotherhithe - Now this... is a pub. Tucked away on the back streets, right on the Thames, with the outside seating area above it. As expected, doing a very good trade on Saturday afternoon. The pints of the Mayflower IPA were nice and tasty, with a good atmsosphere all round. The place has a proper charm to it, well worth a visit, perhaps when it isn't so stupidly busy. 8.5/10.
deviron

Post by deviron »

Afternoon all , looking for some ideas for pubs in the centre of Bristol . I'll be there there Saturday afternoon. Cheers
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

deviron wrote:Afternoon all , looking for some ideas for pubs in the centre of Bristol . I'll be there there Saturday afternoon. Cheers
What kind of pub do you like?

For craft ales try the Small Bar on King Street. You also have the Beer Emporium and the Naval Volunteer along the same street.

If you don't mind going off the beaten track a bit and don't mind cats there is the Bag of Nails on the edge of Hotwells.

The Watershed is good along the harbourside and there are various bars along that way.

Some people love the Cornubia which is half way between the station and the centre but is a bit hard to find.

Stokes Croft has a number of pubs but is more out of the centre.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

EastBrisHammer wrote:
The Watershed is good along the harbourside and there are various bars along that way.
Can't go wrong along the harbourside.

:thup:
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

DasNutNock wrote:My local, for some cider, ales and snacks in the sunshine. Springtime is on its way and I am HAPPY
Well, that was short lived!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Denzil wrote:
Well, that was short lived!

The springtime, or Dan's happiness?
WHU Independent

The York, High Street Islington. Popped in here when I was at the Angel. Clean, old style boozer style pub but with lots of day trippers, like me. London Pride and the Old Rosie were both off, so I opted for Guinness - but the taps were playing up. Eventually after some too-ing and fro-ing they got it working and the beer was decent - but I though £4.60 a pint was a bit strong. It also looked like the pot-person had gone on strike as there were glasses and bottles everywhere. The two staff on were busy having a laugh and the service was poor. A very warm pub though and nice to be in on a cold Feb day. 5/10

The George, Bethnal Green Rd. Rapidly becoming a favourite. Only opens at 4pm, but they have some top beer and the Golden Ale for £3.80 a pint is a bargain. Warm, comfortable, lots of big tables so you and your mates can have a chat, really nice bar staff, decent range of ales and lagers, food too! Bogs are a bit naff but that's about the only negative factor. 8.5/10

The Bethnal Green Working Man's Club, Bethnal Green. I renewed my membership and at £30 a year it's a bargain. £3.00 for a pint of Guinness and discounts on all other beers. The 3 Sod's brewery, which are based there, supplied their Mon Cheree ale, which I am told was lovely "An IPA with a slight cherry after taste."

Cheap tix for the upstairs do, free entry to other do's, free access every day it is open and wonderful bar staff - best £30 ever spent. I've worked out I'll have made my membership fee back in about 12 weeks., so happy days 9/10.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

WHU Independent wrote: but I though £4.60 a pint was a bit strong.
I know you like to hunt for a good priced pub but for those of us who no longer live in London but come back regularly £4.60 sounds pretty good. I stayed at the Montcalm in Finsbury Square this weekend and we went to the hotel roof top bar knowing full well it was going to be expensive, but blimey it even surprised us! We eventually found a pub that was more reasonable. It's the price of spirits and mixers that shocks me in London.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Queens Head in Essex Road Islington.
Two pints and a vodka and coke, £16.50.
Burgers though we're best I have had in ages (some pop up mob).
And the upstairs entertainment was excellent, really made me laugh.
Toilets were Ok too.
8.5/10
WHU Independent

The Peasant, St John's street, Clerkenwell.

Nice big open airy pub with large tabled and stripped back furniture. Wide range of ales on tap, as well as lagers, bar staff were friendly - apart from the potman who told us that we'd have to move all our rucksacks from chairs in the corner of the pub as the chairs would be used soon, despite the pub being virtually empty - and the Guinness was good.

Not sure about the prices as the beer was bought for me and we moved on. I didn't use the bogs either.

It's a decent enough pub and I'd go back 7.5/10