Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

let's forget the idea of playing him DM

if he is to play it needs to be at his natural position which is CB

of course he was great last night in a very very defensive line-up with lots of full back and midfield protection. The test is now to see how he plays in the games where we are much more open. Hopefully he will get a run of games over next couiple of months to see how he copes with it

i would also like to see how he plays in a back 4...again, a different kettle of fish entirely
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

Southgate and his technical team are keeping an eye on Rice. I know he was born in London, but I can't see him swapping nations after playing for Ireland U21's.
Bobby Moore Out
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Bobby Moore Out »

The Irish view from Keith Andrews:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"He just looks like he was born to play Premier League Football."
"I'd be amazed if he wasn't captaining Ireland in five years' time."
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

dvincent wrote:Southgate and his technical team are keeping an eye on Rice. I know he was born in London, but I can't see him swapping nations after playing for Ireland U21's.
It depends on your desire to succeed. Playing youth level international football is just another way to develop. Winston Reid played at youth levels for Denmark, but never had any intention of representing them at full level. Obviously Winston would have had to travel halfway around the world for a NZ U19 fixture which would have had it's own repercussions/implications. There will be a reason Rice has represented Ireland at age group level and not England. Is it that he feels close to one of his 3 Irish grandparents? Is it that he wasn't deemed good enough for England's youth squads? I don't think the answer is 'out there'.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

This thread on an ROI football fans forum about Declan Rice is a great [but loooong] read. It was started when he first made the bench for us in a pre-season friendly and has tracked his progress ever since. Excuse the awful puns. :lol:
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

LeonRivers wrote:This thread on an ROI football fans forum about Declan Rice is a great [but loooong] read. It was started when he first made the bench for us in a pre-season friendly and has tracked his progress ever since. Excuse the awful puns. :lol:
"
Being watching football a long time and this lad has being the most impressive newcomer since the day I seen Roy Keane playing at Anfield in his first season."
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Not seen it myself but friends have said if you watch Declan belting out 'the Soldiers Song' in Gaelic whilst lining up there should be no doubt whom he is committed too.
This made me laugh :D

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bobby Moore Out
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Bobby Moore Out »

LeonRivers wrote:This thread on an ROI football fans forum about Declan Rice is a great [but loooong] read. It was started when he first made the bench for us in a pre-season friendly and has tracked his progress ever since. Excuse the awful puns. :lol:
Another one:
https://foot.ie/threads/218739-Declan-Rice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

LeonRivers wrote: It depends on your desire to succeed. Playing youth level international football is just another way to develop. Winston Reid played at youth levels for Denmark, but never had any intention of representing them at full level. Obviously Winston would have had to travel halfway around the world for a NZ U19 fixture which would have had it's own repercussions/implications. There will be a reason Rice has represented Ireland at age group level and not England. Is it that he feels close to one of his 3 Irish grandparents? Is it that he wasn't deemed good enough for England's youth squads? I don't think the answer is 'out there'.

100%. I really wouldn't be surprised if he did want to play for England at this critical juncture of his career deciding between the 2 nations. And whatever he ultimately decides to choose should be respected. He's more than entitled to make that call, just as we would have respected what Noble decided one way or the other to this day.
Stratford Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

There's an enjoyable segment on Declan Rice in Premier League World on BT Sport 1 at 7:30 tonight. A few too many mentions of John Terry for my tastes, but it may make you feel a little better about the club.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Been called up to the senior squad for Ireland vs Turkey, well done Declan :scarfer:
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

DDHammer wrote:Been called up to the senior squad for Ireland vs Turkey, well done Declan :scarfer:
Yeah, don't ******* get injured!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Nailed on to get injured, an image of hip being walked off the pitch with an ice pack on his leg and the caption 'Declan Ice', nailed on.
Pango

Post by Pango »

Wont get injured as he wont play !

Just be an arm round the shoulder job .... "this is the squad you could be in in a year or two if you learn to defend at corners .... which you cannot do right now."
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Pango wrote:Wont get injured as he wont play !

Just be an arm round the shoulder job .... "this is the squad you could be in in a year or two if you learn to defend at corners .... which you cannot do right now."
Doesn't need to play to get injured. Dean Ashton got injured training with England and that was that!
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Will he not yet fancy playing for England?

EDIT: Just noticed that O'Neill said exactly the same thing.

On a side note, that is by far the weakest Rep of Ireland squad I've ever seen. Their star player is probably either Coleman or Jeff Hendrick. Not heard of most of the rest.

Amazing to see Sean Maguire to rise to fame. Will be interesting to see what comes of him in next couple of years.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Can't wait for us to sell him for £2.1M to Spurs, who will go on to sell him 12 months later for £35M.
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: On a side note, that is by far the weakest Rep of Ireland squad I've ever seen. Their star player is probably either Coleman or Jeff Hendrick. Not heard of most of the rest.
Agreed. It doesn't look much better than the Northern Irish squad these days.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Pango wrote: Just be an arm round the shoulder job .... "this is the squad you could be in in a year or two if you learn to defend at corners .... which you cannot do right now."
Hey, easy, the kid has just turned 19 and he's looked decent in most games playing in a team that's consistently inconsistent in terms of defensive quality, he's outshone many a senior pro and if he's not doing a good enough job at defending corners, in some peoples eyes, that probably has more to do with the seniors, who should be in his ear constantly.

As mentioned before, you don't need to play to get injured.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Makes his debut for Ireland against Turkey.