Was Noble right to do what he did? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Was Mark Noble right to confront the supporter who ran onto the pitch in the manner that he did?

Yes
35%
No
53%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 445

BromleyHammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Re: Was Noble right to do what he did? [POLL]

Post by BromleyHammer »

It just goes to show how out of touch with the fan base he is, should have put his arm around the fella and gave him empathy. The last thing I wanted to see was the Captain be aggressive to a supporter of this club.

I thinks its too easy to go down the "he could have had a weapon" approach, its clear he didn't.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

There's 2 things here.

1) What you do
2) How it looks

He's angry, `1-0 down and he's trying to focus his team, OUR team to get back in the game.

Some tit starts doing a dance around the centre circle so Noble (as Captain) takes charge cos the stewards are sleeping. He pushes him. Doesn't punch him. He just wants him off so we can get back in the game.

Many watching think it's OTT and that's their right to think that.

I say give him a break.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Quite interesting that those posts which have been most disparaging about Noble, especially the ones who mock him for being "Mr West Ham" or "One of our own" are nearly all from posters only in triple figures, and many in just the few hundreds.

I don't know if that is coincidence, age related or some other more agenda driven reason....
really have no idea what that says..other than you spend more time posting on here than me....did you read something further than that....not sure age has any bearing??? agenda driven??..so your a conspiracy theorist
i was at the game and have made a comment.....everything about west ham at the moment seems to make me a tad angry and reactionary....but thats what happens when as somebody else put.....what you do and how you do it especially when things are a bit **** are under the microscope.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Jon wrote:There's 2 things here.

1) What you do
2) How it looks

He's angry, `1-0 down and he's trying to focus his team, OUR team to get back in the game.

Some tit starts doing a dance around the centre circle so Noble (as Captain) takes charge cos the stewards are sleeping. He pushes him. Doesn't punch him. He just wants him off so we can get back in the game.

I say give him a break.
There really isn't any place for that level of sensible discussion on here you know Jon
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Right or wrong, I'm not sure it's really that important.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Jon wrote:
I say give him a break.
Agreed Jon. Easy to judge him badly, but one incident in the heat of the moment shouldn't have our fans digging him out.

It wasn't a smart move by him, but not worth some of the vitriol sent in his direction.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1318 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Jon wrote:

I say give him a break.
Exactly. It's why a 'yes/no' poll is too reductive, there's just more to it. It would have been better if he hadn't done it, but it was an understandable action.
LeagleBeagle

Post by LeagleBeagle »

Noble chose to take the law into his own hands and commit what was effectively an assault on the fan who was no threat to him. He should have been sent off on the spot. The fan encroaching in the field was no excuse for Noble to try out his bouncer skills.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I will always respect Mark for what he is and has been for West Ham.
Although I think he was a bit over the top I can understand that all he wanted to do was get on with salvaging a football match. He lost his rag as he feels a responsibilty to do what is right on the pitch for the sake of the game.
Although I don't agree with waht he did, I do get it and to be honest he won't go down in my estimations at all.
A heat of the moment action which is not directed entirely on our fans.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:No.

He acted like a twat and spoke like a **** who is in the pockets of the chairman.

Absolutely plummeted in respect levels.
At 1-0 and desperately trying to pick up points, you expected the club captain to laugh and give the bloke a cuddle while the game stopped?

AND to slag off G&S afterwards? He basically took the same line as Trevor Brooking.

I’d rather a captain who was livid in this scenario than one who seemed amused
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I agree with that.

And I would also wonder where we go next, as fans, if the people who are truly unhappy with how he acted will not be able perhaps to chalk it up as a bad mark on an otherwise decent record and let him move on.

If we have beef with stadium, owners and the captain, there's not that much left to support.
debaser_74
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by debaser_74 »

Fa cup game at the Boleyn Mark picked up Herrera and carried him off to stop him slowing the game down and was widely applauded for it. He reacted in a similar fashion to the fan - I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was out of frustration at going behind and the desire to get back into the game.
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

[/quote]Quite interesting that those posts which have been most disparaging about Noble, especially the ones who mock him for being "Mr West Ham" or "One of our own" are nearly all from posters only in triple figures, and many in just the few hundreds.

I don't know if that is coincidence, age related or some other more agenda driven reason....[/quote]

I have absolutely no clue what you're on about. But well done you for having over 9000 posts. You're such a great fan. If I told you I have had a season ticket for 28 years you'd tell me you had 29 no doubt.

'Mr West Ham' has assaulted a west ham fan at the end of the day. If he 'got' us he'd have dealt with it differently. He behaved disgracefully and his post match comments belie that it was heat of the moment. If I was old bill I'd charge the tw*t

Your post makes no sense and just because it makes up one more of your 9000 posts it doesn't make it anymore valid than anyone elses.

People seem blind to anything he does because he's from E16. Doesnt wash with me, sorry. Captain Slow has got away with many inadequacies on the back of this.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

He was wrong.......Ginge didn't do it and IMO Bonzo wouldn't have done it. I believe he lost his head out of frustration at the fact they were all playing like they didn't care.

I like him although I think he's lucky we've bought some dross or he'd be getting splinters in his arse.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

I can only guess what's going through his head at the minute. Let's not forget that he was probably sold the same garbage we were and I'd also hazard a guess he feels a bit of a twat for his "not run like a circus" statement

He knows what's goin on in the background with the board, their unfulfilled promises and their lies. Him and his family are West Ham so they must be seething. A lot of his mates may well have been in the ground, some may even have been on the "stroll". Let's not kid ourselves, he must be hurting more than anyone else on the payroll.

However, a sensible approach would have been to calm the bloke down, do what Collins did and speak to the fella. He has no doubt hated playing in that stadium as much as a lot of us hate attending. We needed a win, a positive performance and all of a sudden we are losing and the crowd are getting heated. He has lashed out uncontrollably and I'd imagine totally regrets it.

Do I love his passion ? You bet I do. Do I reckon he made a mistake on Saturday ? Yes.

However hopefully his passion will have rubbed off on teammates prior to Southampton as lose that and we are without question down in my book.
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

He's been nicking a living out of West Ham for years for being, well, West Ham. If he was Johnny foreigner he'd have been vilified by the myopics on here. Very,. Very average player. There's a reason why he's still at West ham and its not loyalty
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Lt. Discussion wrote:'Mr West Ham' has assaulted a west ham fan at the end of the day..
Two grown men have done a pair of questionable things.

One did it having thought it through and knocked up a slogan on a soppy bit of old A3. He was in fact breaking the law, stepping on the field of play.

The other reacted, in a second, and knocked Bambi, and his unfolded scrap of paper, to the floor.

I thought this was a working class sport FFS! Its a bit bruised egos all round to be reaching for terms like 'assault', Shirley?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

e17 wrote:At 1-0 and desperately trying to pick up points, you expected the club captain to laugh and give the bloke a cuddle while the game stopped?

AND to slag off G&S afterwards? He basically took the same line as Trevor Brooking.

I’d rather a captain who was livid in this scenario than one who seemed amused
2 things:

No one is saying he should be amused or have a laugh - that's your interpretation of the opposite action.
Mine is that he could have dealt with it with more tact - like what Collins did and has been roundly applauded for - to try to appease the bloke and diffuse the situation.
'Look, I know you're frustrated, but let us play and try to get this game back' sort of thing.

Secondly, there are two ways to skin a cat. No one is saying he should slag off the owners, again, that's your interpretation of the opposite action.
He is media trained, they all are. He didn't need to take strides to support the protest, nor go against the owners.
But, what I don't accept, is his undermining of the whole thing by suggesting it was something as simple as losing games. He KNOWS it isn't that and knows better how we feel.

His actions on the pitch were a bit stupid and twatty. Collins showed him how he could have handled it.
His words after were despicable and befitting someone who is under manners with the owners and has been roundly told how to fall in to line.
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

Can't have fans running on the pitch at anytime! For whatever reason!

Players safety first! who was that female tennis player who got stabbed by a fan?
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Undecided but willing to give him the benefit of some doubt, it was a pretty unique situation all-round.