Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Carlton'sGoal

Re: The Stop/Go Muggers

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

East Stand Martin wrote:Last Saturday, whilst halted by juvenile lollipop man, I heard some former contestant of Mastermind trying to argue for the benefits of relegation "to teach Sully a lesson".
The thing that really gets me about this point, is that, do people not understand that when you get relegated and the club decide to offload some wages, it's the office staff and people who work for the club in administrative roles that get the redundancies first?
Adrianisournumber1

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

I'd like us to get relegated for a few reasons one the championship I think is a better league, better grounds, better competition and better fan base.

Yes staff might lose there job but how many are actually employed by the club now and how many by 3rd parties.
I also think it would hurt Sullivan and gold but I actually hate the premier league I know 10 Brighton fans down here who have quit there season tickets next year as there no longer fans and now customers and they feel the premier league has damaged there club. I feel the same about West Ham I hate the league and relegation doesn't bother me at all
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Relegation please

I don't want us to paper over the cracks by staying up this season. GSB will then run wild in the media, declaring how this season has been a success and all of their decisions have been justified

Tiers of the stadium closed off, 25-30k in there for games, even more empty seats. Selling our best players and relegation 2 seasons after moving stadiums would undoubtedly prove that the fans are the ones who were correct all along and GSB are not fit to run our football club.

Keep the momentum of the fans going and run GSB out of West Ham, just like they were at Birmingham
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Southend News Network is satirical.
..and bloody funny to boot!
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Whilst I whole hardheartedly believe GSB deserve relegation, the problem with or even without them we right now would not have a squad capable of getting us back up ....

We have a squad which is to old, to injury prone, and to reliant on loans to survive in the championship .... just look at Sunderland ...

A poor squad, in a half full stadium, afraid of their own crowd? it's Sunderland today but who doesn't think that could be us in 12 months ....

We have to stay up or our club itself is at risk, we also have to get shot of GSB .... Birmingham got them out so can we .....

The stadium is unfit ... GSB won't ever fix that .... the only answer is change ....
Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill »

Nesticles wrote:Relegation please

I don't want us to paper over the cracks by staying up this season. GSB will then run wild in the media, declaring how this season has been a success and all of their decisions have been justified

Tiers of the stadium closed off, 25-30k in there for games, even more empty seats. Selling our best players and relegation 2 seasons after moving stadiums would undoubtedly prove that the fans are the ones who were correct all along and GSB are not fit to run our football club.

Keep the momentum of the fans going and run GSB out of West Ham, just like they were at Birmingham
If we go down I fear that we may not come up again for a reasonably long while. We have a number of players leaving at the end of the year and a few others who I doubt would be prepared to stay for Championship football (and who are probably on far too high wages to keep anyway). We don't seem to have much in the way of quality coming through from the under 23s and prices in general for players have become very high.

While we would have a parachute payment of I think something like £100 million over 3 seasons staggered something like £50m, £30m, £20m, that is a huge drop from the £120 million of so that we currently receive. I'm sure that commercial revenue would also drop in the Championship as a result of the vastly reduced media exposure.

I also wonder how many people would turn up to the London stadium to watch us. 30,000 or so at our old stadium still seemed reasonably full, it will seem anything but at the London stadium and a half full stadium could easily turn into a quarter full one as enjoyment levels drop.

If we drop to the Championship then I fear for our short term future. Far bigger clubs than us have gone down and stayed down. I bet the novelty of 2nd/3rd level football has worn off for the likes of Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and Notts Forest.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

bill mate, what's your hope for the short term future?

there is a nuclear option which makes both our owners position and our occupancy of the olympic stadium untennable. make no mistake it will devastating for the club on the pitch, but we may be in the situation where we need to go back to go forward.

if it comes down to premier league status or a club you can emotionally connect to, which do you choose?
Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill »

Beavis Danzig wrote:bill mate, what's your hope for the short term future?

there is a nuclear option which makes both our owners position and our occupancy of the olympic stadium untennable. make no mistake it will devastating for the club on the pitch, but we may be in the situation where we need to go back to go forward.

if it comes down to premier league status or a club you can emotionally connect to, which do you choose?
I would of course choose the latter, but I don't see the two things as being mutually exclusive events. If anything I see new ownership being more likely if we maintain our PL status than I do if we are relegated.

I also don't think that new owners are necessarily the silver bullet that some are pinning their hopes on. I think a lot of the disquiet at the moment is related to the abysmal new stadium and I don't see new owners being able to solve that problem as the problem is far bigger than Claret coloured covering over the running track IMO.

If I were an uber wealthy individual or sovereign wealth fund looking to buy an English football team currently, then I think there would be a number of clubs on my wanted list before looking at West Ham. That leaves the lower level investment funds who are just looking to make a profit, I'm not sure that would necessarily leave us any better than we are right now under the two Davids to be honest (although I suppose no matter what new owners we ended up getting they would at least act with more class and dignity than our current two, I suppose there is also the added bonus of them sacking the absolutely vile Karen Brady.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

More police and tighter security:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43424575
London Stadium's Safety Advisory Group (SAG), which includes representatives from the club, police, Newham council, and stadium owners and operators, announced the decision.

A statement added: "Following reassurances that have been given, it is the SAG's view that the council does not need to use the ultimate sanction, which would see capacity reduced at the venue and spectators excluded. The remaining homes games will be closely monitored.

"The SAG must make clear that in the event of future disorder, it would seriously consider advising the certifying authority to take forward this sanction. Playing behind closed doors would be a great shame for the majority of fans who wish to watch and support their team in safety."
So does that mean the club could be overruled/outnumbered and forced to play behind closed doors without a football governing body making the decision? Do we have so little control over the stadium that the stadium owners can stop fans watching games?
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Bully boy tactics to try and stop free speech just as they tried with the march.

They don’t want anyone knowing how disgusted we are with them.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

If a stadium is not granted a safety certificate to host football matches by the council then the stadium can't host football matches with spectators. That takes primacy over any footballing authorities sanctions.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

First police/security incursion into the stand below the directors box (and it will happen with the full statement) will be in full view of the whole stadium. Much like the watford game at the start of the first season the atmosphere will turn in an instant.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Iron Mark wrote: So does that mean the club could be overruled/outnumbered and forced to play behind closed doors without a football governing body making the decision? Do we have so little control over the stadium that the stadium owners can stop fans watching games?
No IM, the stadium owners can't stop us. As Kialos said, it's Newham council that are the ones who can.
At the same time, as tenants we don't really have any say ourselves, over the stadium.
We play there only when no one else wants it!
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Iron Mark wrote: So does that mean the club could be overruled/outnumbered and forced to play behind closed doors without a football governing body making the decision? Do we have so little control over the stadium that the stadium owners can stop fans watching games?
Yes ... if the stadium operators are unable or unwilling to provide Newham with assurances they can operate the stadium safely, then Newham can withhold the safety certificate and no fans will be allowed access ...

This can be done without any involvement from West Ham at all .... this is where being a tenant means your landlord has you by the balls ... we have to pay for anything over and above our contract, or the landlord can just shut the place down .....

We could probably sue ... indeed we are ... but that will take months/years ....
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Still, least we’ve got bragging rights aye Kaz?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

That will stay with her forever that comment. Must say that actual build is pretty fascinating roof just going up now. Still can’t see how it will even be ready if they delay till September. But Chelsea at Wembley for 4 years has disaster written all over it. Honestly think they may go for a ground share with us. Under normal circumstances may be out the question. But if we did get relegated I think they may throw new light on it as they will be desperate to make up financial short fall.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The full cost of West Ham’s Stadium

From the Mayor's Office
The full cost of West Ham’s Stadium
20 March 2018
The cost of retrofitting the Stadium has risen from a budgeted £190 million to £323 million
The stadium’s approved business case forecasted a surplus, but it will now lose over £10 million every year

On 1 November 2016, Sadiq Khan announced an investigation into the rising costs of West Ham’s London Stadium[1]. On 1 December 2017, the report into the Stadium was published,[2] revealing for the first time the depth of its financial difficulties. The Mayor’s review covered three distinct phases of the Stadium’s life:

Olympic bodies’ original decision making in the design of the Stadium
The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC)’s (and its predecessors’) decisions in tendering for and delivering the Stadium transformation
Decisions made about the current operational arrangements of the Stadium

Following on from sessions with the Mayor’s Chief of Staff and the LLDC Chief Executive in December 2017 and January 2018, tomorrow, the London Assembly Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee will question two of the key decision makers associated with the London Stadium, who were in post before the Olympics took place:

David Edmonds CBE, former Chairman, LLDC
Neale Coleman CBE, former Deputy Chairman, LLDC.

The meeting will take place on Wednesday, 21 March from 2:00pm in The Chamber (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1).

Media and members of the public are invited to attend

The meeting can also be viewed LIVE via webcast.

Follow us @LondonAssembly and take part in the meeting discussion using #AssemblyBudget and #LondonStadium.

Notes to editors
1. BBC Sport, London Stadium: Sadiq Khan orders investigation over rising costs, 1 November 2016

2. Moore Stephens, Moore Stephens Olympic Stadium Review, 1 December 2017

3. Agenda papers

4. Gareth Bacon AM, Chairman of the Budget and Performance Committee is available for interview. See contact details below.

5. Budget Committee

6. As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
(my bold emphasis)

edited to make webcast link
Last edited by Johnny Byrne's Boots on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

That's quite a pointed press release. Major overspending and on-going costs to achieve a stadium that still isnt fit for purpose.
Estuary
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

"West Hams London Stadium". A not to subtle smear attempt. Idiots.
Luckily the chair of the committee is no mug and won't let that type of thing be repeated during the session.
SammyTheHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by SammyTheHammer »

MLB to play series at Olympic Stadium - Yankees/Red Sox

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2283 ... ondon-2019

"Baseball officials have long hoped for games in London and settled last year on Olympic Stadium, which is in its second season as home of West Ham of the Premier League. Because it originally was built for a 400-meter track, it is wider than other large stadiums in the London area and can best accommodate the dimensions of a baseball field."

Great that the owner of the Red Sox, who by the way also owns Liverpool, chose Olympic Stadium due to its dimensions. Baseball could quite possibly be the most boring sport on the planet