Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Tenbury »

There's few trendy shops in town,sort of 'lifestyle' places,and amongst all the useless tat in the windows they have a preponderance of crap platitudes,sort of 'there's no place like home' but much ,much cheesier.Some people actually buy them...I took the lad round to his mates today,by the door was a little sign..'.Cherish Yesterday, Live Today, Dream Tomorrow'........Oh f%*k off.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

delbert wrote:Trying to transfer some music from my PC to my Android phone, what a poxy chore. It's on there somewhere but Google Music isn't interested in finding it.........
Use a different MP3 player. Google music is *****. Any other MP3 player will find music on your phone easily.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

stuboy wrote: dress down Fridays.
Well that in itself really. Only encountered this at one place I worked. It's pointless. It's an (I thought) out-dated US fad-thing wherein the company make out they are giving you something which is in fact a vacuous nothing at all. Plus the insinuation that they own every day of the week and therefore every part of your life. 'Oh wow, Friday feels so much better'. Arrive in smelly shitty pants Tuesday?
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

As a serious tea drinker but hater of coffee, I'm used to going into cafes where there are six different types of coffee on the menu, then at the bottom as an afterthought "cup of tea", in the full knowledge that it will be, at best, Twinings Everyday or Taylors, but most likely Sainsbury Red Label.

So my eyes light up when I see just below "cup of tea" the words "speciality teas". What irritates me is when I ask what speciality teas they have, hoping for Darjeeling or Yunnan, or in a perfect world Oolong (as the saying goes "love Oolong time"), and it turns out they are all fruit/herbal infusions. Tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis, not blackcurrant, elderflower or chamomile.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

delbert wrote:Trying to transfer some music from my PC to my Android phone, what a poxy chore. It's on there somewhere but Google Music isn't interested in finding it.........
Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Use a different MP3 player. Google music is *****. Any other MP3 player will find music on your phone easily.
:thup:

I've bunged VLC on it and now it's all systems go, the Goombay Dance Band has never sounded so good.....Image
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

southbrishammer wrote:.................................

and it turns out they are all fruit/herbal infusions. Tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis, not blackcurrant, elderflower or chamomile.
As one of our lady engineers called them, lesbian teas.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

Idiots who do not clear snow off their car, especially the windows and lights.
Lost count of the number who think wind screen wipers are enough for all round vision and whose lights were obstructed by snow.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

agree there , no doubt most of Basingstoke will be heading out tomorrow with a frozen 5 inches on snow on the roof of the car , which turns to frozen missiles once at 70 on the M3
It takes f*** all to brush the car off before that **** freezes
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Brushing the snow off two cars yesterday afternoon, only for it to dump down again last night and have to do it again this morning
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

hammerdivone wrote:Brushing the snow off two cars yesterday afternoon, only for it to dump down again last night and have to do it again this morning
You should of left it on and driven down the motorway. A speed of 70mph would of blown it off! 8-)
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

southbrishammer wrote:As a serious tea drinker but hater of coffee, I'm used to going into cafes where there are six different types of coffee on the menu, then at the bottom as an afterthought "cup of tea", in the full knowledge that it will be, at best, Twinings Everyday or Taylors, but most likely Sainsbury Red Label.

So my eyes light up when I see just below "cup of tea" the words "speciality teas". What irritates me is when I ask what speciality teas they have, hoping for Darjeeling or Yunnan, or in a perfect world Oolong (as the saying goes "love Oolong time"), and it turns out they are all fruit/herbal infusions. Tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis, not blackcurrant, elderflower or chamomile.

These coffee places are incapable of making a decent cup of tea. They generally have a really flash coffee machines costing thousands of pounds. These machines use water at 92° to 96°, as any self respecting tea drinker knows tea should be made with boiling water. This problem could be overcome if only they would invest in an actual kettle.

The other problem is that the people who work in these places have no idea what a decent cup of tea should look like. Ask for a cup of tea in a coffee chain and what you will end up with is a cup of lukewarm milky water.
I always ask to put my own milk in, although I generally just opt for a coffee these days as that is preferable to rank tea.

Actually something else that irritates me about these places is that they expect you the customer to play along with the bull**** naming conventions they have fora cup of coffee. I don't play along, I just ask for a strong black coffee.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Reminds me of that annoying ad on the tele/radio - "What's a flat white?".
Coops

Post by Coops »

sendô wrote:Reminds me of that annoying ad on the tele/radio - "What's a flat white?".
I think they have hit the nail on the head with their advertising.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

No, for top marks they could have said "A flat white? It's the coffee that c**** drink."
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

It's true, I am partial to a flat white.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Coops wrote:These coffee places are incapable of making a decent cup of tea. They generally have a really flash coffee machines costing thousands of pounds. These machines use water at 92° to 96°, as any self respecting tea drinker knows tea should be made with boiling water. This problem could be overcome if only they would invest in an actual kettle.

The other problem is that the people who work in these places have no idea what a decent cup of tea should look like. Ask for a cup of tea in a coffee chain and what you will end up with is a cup of lukewarm milky water.
I always ask to put my own milk in, although I generally just opt for a coffee these days as that is preferable to rank tea.

Actually something else that irritates me about these places is that they expect you the customer to play along with the bull**** naming conventions they have fora cup of coffee. I don't play along, I just ask for a strong black coffee.
When they ask me "Do you want milk in your tea?" is guaranteed to get my goat.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

EvilC wrote:It's true, I am partial to a flat white.
Prefer something more busty myself!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Coops wrote:These coffee places are incapable of making a decent cup of tea
or a decent cup of coffee...
Coops

Post by Coops »

warp wrote: or a decent cup of coffee...
This is also true.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

I'll tell you what irritates me, the constant moaning on here about bloody coffee shops! As far as I am aware they are entirely optional and you aren't forced to go into them. Does anyone really think we were better off when the best a café could offer you was a spoonful of Gold Blend in a polystyrene cup.

If you have never managed to find a cup of coffee anywhere on the high street you like you probably don't really like coffee that much.