The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Post by DasNutNock »

Our back row has been a mess all year, and we've been in decline since the Australia tour in 2016. Get our pack back to where we need it, and we'll be a force again, but there's little doubt that our front row is short of form and our back row is all wrong.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Ireland were fantastic. Deserved winnners..

But England have been a disgrace. Seem to have completely lost their heads. No brains in that team. Jones needs to decide who he thinks will be there when they run out in Japan. For me the following have not been good enough:

Brown - time for him to go
Joseph
Teo - but has been injured
Cole - time is up.
Hartley - has to go in my opinion but I don't think George has ever really impressed for england
Itoje - I think he needs a rest
Robshaw - Love his work rate but the back row needs looking at
Kruis - not had much game time but doesn't played well when he has had minutes
Haskell - High work rate, little quality

Tough job for Jones. Really has to make some big decisions. People keep talking about Billy V coming back but he is always injured.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Billy V is going to join Tuilagi soon. Far too many passengers in this side. Entire pack needs a rethink. I have faith in most of our backs, but our big boys and hard men seriously need to be changed up.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Loftyhammer wrote:
Does make more sense with Care off the bench....he's so much better in that finisher role. Personally think Itoje is the one that's off form...maybe Launchbury a little unlucky?

Still think we'll lose comfortably...by 9 min :(
Ahem 8-)

What to make of that? Ireland fully deserved winners....look v impressive. But I’ve honestly not seen England so visibly “never in the game” outside of games vs. ABs.... Pack is a big problem at the moment; and I’m praying a summer off will help the likes of Itoje and Mako get some spark back (if they are allowed one!) Before the game I could see the logic in Wigg playing, but my god is his passing slow & loopy....huge difference when DC came on with Ford.
Interesting that Jones said that would be last England game for some....but I’m not sure where the replacements are coming from? Some big thinking for coaches over next few months....time to earn your ££ Eddie as we are light years away from challenging at WC
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Wales 2nd - not bad after those 2 losses , only Italy were worse than England . :)
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

England finished where they deserved to - not a good 6N at all, forwards too slow, lack of creativity all round and no sense of urgency or fluidity at all. They have got stale and need a bit af freshening up and that's the thing to look forward to. However, that's one of the great things about sport, not many would have predicted this back in January.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Big shout out to the skipper Rory Best

One of only three Irish Grand Slam winning captains.

One of only two Irish two-time Grand Slam winners.

First Irish captain to lead team to wins over NZ, SA and Australia.

And if you knew anything about internal IRFU politics / selection bias this one is the most incredible:

Only Ulsterman to earn more than 100 Irish caps.

Arise Sir Rory...that's well overdue.
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Wales 2nd - not bad after those 2 losses , only Italy were worse than England . :)
IMO with 6 Nations if you don’t win it then the rest of the places are irrelevant. Nobody remembers who finishes 2nd vs 4th
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

What a crap day, no West Ham, England lost and what's worse Wales ****ing won.

Sticks in the craw does the last one
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

Slacking student wrote:What a crap day, no West Ham, England lost and what's worse Wales ****ing won.

Sticks in the craw does the last one
See this is what I have never and can never get my head around....if England aren’t playing I couldn’t give a monkeys who wins-just want to see a good game. I reckon there are a number of Scottish and Welsh fans out there who took more delight out of England losing yesterday than their own teams winning. Is a real head scratcher for sure
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

The Italians were robbed in Rome against the Scotch - why can Scotland play so well vs England but so poorly vs Italy?

England were poor and have been most of the tournament. Our front and back rows don't look right, and full back doens't seem to be working.

The constant TMO referral continues to irritate. Asking "any reason I cannot award a try" for virtually every try.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Ireland deserved that.

Think Jones has been doing his best impression of Ranieri, playing Tinkerman.

But f*** me was it cold at Twickenham yesterday, it was only the Guinness, whisky and brandy that kept us from freezing on the spot! Was also very lucky to get home before the snow got really bad.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:The Italians were robbed in Rome against the Scotch - why can Scotland play so well vs England but so poorly vs Italy?
You know full well why.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I've been getting increasingly bored with the six nations.Rugby has moved on.Europe's too small.
Time to bring the Georgians,Romanians,etc on board and have say three divisions in world rugby...let's face it,people travel across the world to watch cricket,why wouldn't the rugby crowd do likewise?

l.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Hmm, an interesting point. It should be noted too that Italy haven't won a 6N match since 2015.
jacko

Post by jacko »

sendô wrote:The Italians were robbed in Rome against the Scotch - why can Scotland play so well vs England but so poorly vs Italy?

England were poor and have been most of the tournament. Our front and back rows don't look right, and full back doens't seem to be working.

The constant TMO referral continues to irritate. Asking "any reason I cannot award a try" for virtually every try.
They were robbed and I was thinking exactly the same thing while i was watching. Fact is, Scotland aren't that good. They will never be able to perform really well consistently.
jacko

Post by jacko »

England will be back better and stronger next year. I think the Lions tour caught up with them. They have some very good players. The problem for me is that no one who was given a chance played well. He does need to decide the future of a few players.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Junco Partner wrote:Big shout out to the skipper Rory Best

One of only three Irish Grand Slam winning captains.

One of only two Irish two-time Grand Slam winners.

First Irish captain to lead team to wins over NZ, SA and Australia.

And if you knew anything about internal IRFU politics / selection bias this one is the most incredible:

Only Ulsterman to earn more than 100 Irish caps.

Arise Sir Rory...that's well overdue.
A quite remarkable story befitting of a quite remarkable man.

Ireland thoroughly deserved to win the Grand Slam, Wales got better as the tournament progressed, France were, umm, France, Scotland...not many agree, but I think they are so close to being a very good side...Italy I fully expect to progress under Connor O'Shea...which leaves England. The manner of the defeats was more disappointing than the actual defeat. Plenty of work to be done if we are to be even remotely competitive at the World Cup.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

jacko wrote:England will be back better and stronger next year. I think the Lions tour caught up with them. They have some very good players. The problem for me is that no one who was given a chance played well. He does need to decide the future of a few players.
Someone mentioned that to me that England never do well after a Lions tour - however, it didn't really affect the Irish that much, so a pretty pointless excuse as far as I am concerned. Amongst other things, England didn't appear to have the desire, or the wherewithal to make decisions on the pitch to improve things when the chips were down. Well done Ireland and to the other nations for some cracking games - Wales v France, Italy v Scotland, to name a couple
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

sendô wrote:It should be noted too that Italy haven't won a 6N match since 2015.
True, but if I recall it took France donkeys to get up and running. I'm biased,as the kids are half Italian but I do think they're improving rapidly and their domestic game has too.TBH ,they were robbed in that last game.

Having said that,the Georgians are far too good to only turn up every WC,same goes for Romania.As I keep saying , with the way the game is developing , exponentially since going professional in terms of fitness and skill, the 6N is like some ancient relic . It's the boat race on grass.