Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Puff Daddy »

DDHammer wrote:Been called up to the senior squad for Ireland vs Turkey, well done Declan :scarfer:
You are David Gold and I claim my £5
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Irish TV just awarded Rice MOTM!

He was busy as we played the West Ham way and stayed deep. He looked as he does in the C&B. Cool. strong and dependable and as if he has been a senior for years!

Mind you he did kind of turn his back for the goal....but the other 3 defenders were all asleep also!

He started in the 3 at the back then moved to centre mid. And looked good in both positions.

We have a good one here!
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Played well in two positions. And commended by most Irish fans for his performance.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Martin O Neill said

Considering it was Declan Rice's debut, and he's 19 years of age, it was an impressive performance from an impressive young man."
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Who said its all bad news :scarfer:
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

bonzosbeard wrote:Who said its all bad news :scarfer:
It will be when he is sold in the summer !
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

O’Neill handed senior debuts to Declan Rice, Scott Hogan and a substitute Matt Doherty and first starts to Alan Browne and Sean Maguire in Antalya but it was the Fenerbahce midfielder Topal who ultimately won the day with a 52nd-minute shot.

However, there were positives with Rice turning in an assured performance and the captain, Séamus Coleman, getting 62 minutes under his belt a year since he suffered a double leg fracture on international duty.

“I had no hesitation in putting him into the middle of the field,” O’Neill said of West Ham defender Rice, who started at the back then moved into midfield. “It was a man-of-the-match performance and I thought he was excellent for us. Considering it’s his debut and he’s 19 years of age, it was an impressive performance from an impressive young man.”

Londoner Rice, who has indicated he is ready to opt for Ireland rather than England, took his introduction to international football in his stride.

He said: “I think there is something in me. I’m composed and I’m a calm player. You’re only out there for 90 minutes and you have to give it everything you’ve got. It’s a game of football at the end of the day.
“I’m only 19, but I’ve had good experiences with West Ham this year and I’ve tried to take that onto international level tonight. I thought I did well for only being 19 years old on the international scene. I was proud of myself and thought I performed well.”
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I see that he wore number 10, the Irish Lothar!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I stand by my claim he's probably a better DM than a centre back. When we've been crying out for one, I think we should have turned to Rice to see how he gets on instead of other midfielders going walkabouts. I remember in pre season he played there in the middle and old Trafford and looked the part for someone so young. He could be our answer all along yet only gets played in defence these days.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

as a CB I seem to recall he's been at fault for 3 or 4 goals already this season. To be expected perhaps given his age but I'd worry if we're going to have to rely on him for the run in.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Westbourne Bill wrote:as a CB I seem to recall he's been at fault for 3 or 4 goals already this season. To be expected perhaps given his age but I'd worry if we're going to have to rely on him for the run in.
This is very true but I'd rather him at the back doing that, hopefully learning and developing, than Cresswell or Evra doing it.

I'm not sure where his best position is yet, it's certainly hard to judge a centre half in the shower of s**t that we've been for most of the season, he was excellent at Wembley though.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

IMHO he'll be sold in the summer, it'll be according to Sully an offer we could not turn down, Same if we go do get relegated I can't see him wanting to be in the championship.
I really would not begrudge anyone wanting to leave the club and if he is to progress his future may well lie away from us.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:IMHO he'll be sold in the summer, it'll be according to Sully an offer we could not turn down, Same if we go do get relegated I can't see him wanting to be in the championship.
I really would not begrudge anyone wanting to leave the club and if he is to progress his future may well lie away from us.
Yeah, let's sell all our players, sack the management and anyone else employed by the club. Last one out turns the lights off for good. What will we all do after that with all the time we spend posting and reading on here? Some of us might even get our lives back.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I don't think he's going anywhere just yet. If he develops into a solid, reliable and versatile player he'll end up at one of the big six within five years time. Had he opted to play for England he'd go for more than we'll get for him, should we ever sell him.
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

As is the habit, a young kid shows some promise and people rush 10 steps ahead. Apparently he would not stay with us in the championship. If we did get relegated that would be his best shot at getting a regular starting position. He seems like a great kid with his feet firmly planted let’s not over hype his talent.

Ireland playing him smacks of desperation, claim him before he matures. They really do need to get rid of the grandparents rule, it seems unfair that a bunch of English players should prevent actual Irish born players getting their chance. It would make more sense to let the youngsters develop their game more before thrusting them into international appearances.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Westbourne Bill wrote: To be expected perhaps given his age but I'd worry if we're going to have to rely on him for the run in.
Too late for that Bill, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play in every game of the run in.
His legs have gone
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by His legs have gone »

Sarfend Hammer wrote:
Ireland playing him smacks of desperation, claim him before he matures. They really do need to get rid of the grandparents rule, it seems unfair that a bunch of English players should prevent actual Irish born players getting their chance. It would make more sense to let the youngsters develop their game more before thrusting them into international appearances.
He's been playing for Ireland since the U16's, he has clearly made his choice that he wants to play for Ireland more than just because he can't get a game for England. I'd argue he's had as good a season as the other CB's in that squad and deserves the call up on merit, irrespective of age.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

rice has done well whenever I have seen him. the odd mistake but still better than most of our defenders and hes young.
we need to play him in midfield to provide some legs and bite in there. kouyate has done very little and noble is too slow.

rice is also needed at CB but I would put kouyate in there if he can remember to stay there !

we have little in central midfield and little in central defence so I expect to see rice play every game now.
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

Superb again today, very composed and read the game well.

Has been caught a few times this season ball watching, but that will improve with age.

Seems committed to the cause as well, what a player we have.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He commands others around him, not the other way around. Tells me all I need to know about how the boy goes about his business on the pitch. He really is the real deal with a huge future in front of him.

Smashing down to earth lad to boot which is a lovely bonus and one that 'gets us' for 1 so young.