Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Aldo1901

Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Aldo1901 »

Couldn't see a thread for this so decided to start one. i think this summer is one of major overhaul, i'd let go about six or seven current players, including some on loan or out of contract(ie: hart, evra, etc). i think we need a first choice keeper, a rwb, two cbs, a cdm and maybe even a cm, a winger/cam and a striker
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by HammerMan2004 »

No point until we know the league we're in, and therefore the budget.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

HammerMan2004 wrote:No point until we know the league we're in, and therefore the budget.
Which is David Sullivan's view as well with regards to the hiring of a director of football.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

What we'll need to spend for a Cup run, chance at top 8 and keeping our best players happy - £80m
What we'll actually spend to ensure we finish between 17th and 10th - £30m

Poor squad needing big investment to bring the back 7 players up to the standard of the front lot.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

We won't get what we need, and lose what we need to keep.
ExeC
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by ExeC »

I predict 1100 pages by 1st August
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

HammerMan2004 wrote:No point until we know the league we're in, and therefore the budget.
budget is something like -30 million quids regardless of league
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Long time reader, 1st time poster.

Regardless of what division we are in I reckon we are in a hell of a lot of trouble next season. Assuming it is Premier League (I think it will be...just) we still need a massive overhaul of our already short squad.

GK - 2 more needed as both will be gone
RB - Sell Byram and get a starter in with Zab back up
CB - Ogbonna & Rice in, Reid maybe and Collins contract means at least 2 needed, 1 to start?
LB - Bin Evra and keep the other 2
CM - Need 1 starter and potentially keep Obi, Kouyate (generous), Noble and Fernandes
AM - Mario loan to end, Snodgrass sold. Antonio & Lanzini left. At least 2 needed
Wingers - What are they? We sold them all last year
ST - Carroll :arry: Hernandez out, Hugill :? Basically leaves Arnie. At least 2 needed

I make that easily double figures of players needed just to get to a full squad unless youngsters step up. Really struggling to see where we go this summer, especially with Sullivan's tight purse strings.
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Should add, I hate to be that negative 1st post out :lol:
Aldo1901

Post by Aldo1901 »

for each position i'd like:

GK: Foster
RWB: Cedric/ Fredricks
CBS: Mawson/Dunk, Evans
Cdm: Carvalho/Dendocker/ Romeu
CM: Allen, Cairney
CAM/Winger: Adama/Maddison,/Mario/Tadic
Striker: Dembele/Wilson
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I would sell / release the following players:
Hart, Adrian, Reid, Carroll, Snodgrass, Antonio, Byram, Collins, Evra, Hernandez, Haksabanovic, Martinez, Makasi, Samuelsen, Oxford. Hugill too if we clearly don't trust to bring him on sooner in matches.

I can see Moyes maybe keeping Reid and Antonio. And unlike a few people who will probably want them gone, I wouldn't be surprised if Kouyate and Cresswell stay as Moyes does seem to like them 2. Both don't pick up that many injuries and are versatile enough to be able to play in 2 positions. I would personally like to see how Kouyate would get on in a better midfield too alongside a proper defensive midfielder. I still think there is a useful player there believe it or not. He has pace, can carry the ball and is pretty good in the air. He can easily chip in with more goals too if you give him the license to play further forward. Adrian too IF he is happy to stay as a back-up. But I can't see him happy to do that as he will want to play. Hence why I added him to the 'sell' list.

So we will need a minimum of:

- GK (2 IF Adrian leaves)
- RB
- 2 CH
- DM
- CM
- AM
- W
- 2 ST

Moyes seems to like the look of that John McGinn at Hibs. He has been watched a few times, including by himself recently if I am right? So I wouldn't be surprised if he is one of the midfielders we sign. The papers seem to think he can go for only £5m, so Sully will be delighted with that. Cairney is another as well after bidding for him in January and Moyes apparently at Craven Cottage watching yesterday. Fredericks will probably be the other as a cheapish rightback. IF he continues to show promise I reckon we will try to keep Mario. The big fee signing I expect us to try and make this summer is Shaqiri if Stoke go down. I am sure Arnie will have a quiet word with him :thup:
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

It doesn't matter what we need who we need. it's what suits Sullivans picture of the club. I can see a lot going and the same old story DOF identifies players goes to Sullivan for the money told no! but xyz are available on frees pick one of them.

All this new regime for transfers is bowlocks Sulli has the final say and if it's going to cost money we know what the answer will be.

Unless they are gone by the window we will be exactly the same cheap elderly players ( although we was told no over 30's) and maybe a mid championship punt.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

At first blush, that looks like quite a cull of the squad there, fc, but, on reflection, I make you right on every one of them.

I also see Kouyate getting a Fellaini style role, if Due Dil Dave stays .
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

GK: Adrian
CB: Reid, Ogbonna, Rice, Kouyate, Burke/Oxford
FB: Cresswell, Zabaleta
CM: Noble, Obiang, Lanzini, Fernandes
FW: Arnie, Antonio, Masuaku
ST: Hernandez, Carroll, Hugill

Based on contracts/loans ending and players that shouldn't have a future at the club, those are the only names I can see definitely being here next August.

Another summer where we desperately need quality but are going to get caught between that and the number of gaps in the squad.

YAYYYYY!!!!!!!

EDIT: As much as a huge number of fans don't like him it will be a massive help if Snodgrass can be reintegrated and turned into something useful.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There are a load we need to get shot of too.

Byram, Ginge, Reid, Antonio, Carroll, Evra, Hugill, Snodgrass and upgrade
with better quality
artlin

Post by artlin »

It will be a season for the youngsters to step up.

Rice has already proven himself.

Haksabanovic, Fernandes, Burke, Oxford, Cullen, Martinez all need to man up next season.

We will still need an awful lot of new boys though.

GK, RB, 2 X CB, DMF, Striker. About 80 million to spend. We have nobody to sell that is worth anything.

Probably get about 2s 9d for Carroll.
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Personally I'd have Carroll under take a full on medical and if he fails pay him off, we could be waiting all season for a mug to want him. We could do with freeing up some of his wages
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

WellKumb JJ
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Three is a lot of dead wood if you are ruthless but teams rarely do well when they have a big amount of churn in the squad.

Six or seven out with a similar number in wood be massively disruptive.

Pick three or four we can do without and replace them with real quality is the way forward for me.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Clearly after reading all of that if we don't go down this time we will certainly go down in 2019! Can't decipher it any other way I'm afraid!!! :wink: