Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Gold revealed it on the radio interview. We currently have a budget of 20 million (maintaining our curious debt of 100 million)

We need at least 8 players imo. The ones to shift are either loans or past it.

i only have a cse in Maths....but I think we are screwed. And Gold is a crook.Pardon?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Gold must do it deliberately. They must properly hoot with laughter, just imagining how much it winds us all up.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Presuming we stay up what we need is in part irrelevant, it is what we get that matters. Say we even have a budget of £80m (yeah right) most identify “needing” 8 to 10 players, meaning a lot of players around the £10m pound mark and that buys nothing now days.

I have nothing against a couple of out of contract players or low cost “gambles” but then spend the bulk on 3/4 quality players. It means we have not shifted all we might want but as long as the squad is balanced and has 1 or 2 quality players in each department then that to my mind is the way to build year on year.

The numbers can be catered for from what we have and the younger players but it is getting in the right quality players that will determine next year. This summer we got one right (post Bilic) in Arnie, one Ok throughout in Zab and two pretty much fails in Hart and Hernandez. Also it left the squad unbalanced - the famous reluctance to actually spend on a defensively minded midfielder.That to my mind is the real criticism a conversion rate that is not good enough combined with poor balance.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Gsbgsb wrote:Presuming we stay up what we need is in part irrelevant, it is what we get that matters. Say we even have a budget of £80m (yeah right) most identify “needing” 8 to 10 players, meaning a lot of players around the £10m pound mark and that buys nothing now days.

I have nothing against a couple of out of contract players or low cost “gambles” but then spend the bulk on 3/4 quality players. It means we have not shifted all we might want but as long as the squad is balanced and has 1 or 2 quality players in each department then that to my mind is the way to build year on year.

The numbers can be catered for from what we have and the younger players but it is getting in the right quality players that will determine next year. This summer we got one right (post Bilic) in Arnie, one Ok throughout in Zab and two pretty much fails in Hart and Hernandez. Also it left the squad unbalanced - the famous reluctance to actually spend on a defensively minded midfielder.That to my mind is the real criticism a conversion rate that is not good enough combined with poor balance.

If what you say is true, we will have a summer transfer trove of £80m, then that will be truly amazing. Since we will structure payments over the duration of the players contracts and not purchase any of them outright, we should be able to buy some true quality with a kitty such as that
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Shaqiri
Allen
Butland
Dawson
Evans
Chadli
Tadic
Ward-Prowse

If the bottom three all go down that's who I'd pick from them, assuming Butland would never come to us, unless Stoke accept 5m over 5 years and a signed pair of Darren Randolph gloves that were given back by a raffle winner. With all that in mind we'll probably let Adrian go and replace him with either Fraser 'Hills Have Eyes Jaw' Forster or Ben 'Bacon Butty/Fish And Chips Friday' Foster. A one year deal for Crouch too. Classic GSB.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Wonder if Liverpool would let Clyne go? I know he’s been injured but looks like Klopp rates TAA and Gomez highly.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

The isn't a lot of value shopping from the relegated sides as the wages are so high and the clubs will still want top dollar.

Why pay £20m and £100k a week on a 6 or 7 out of ten like Joe Allen when you can pick up the same player in France for a fraction of that?

I wouldn't do business with any (current) premier league teams unless it is to poach a youngster. Why waste your buying power by shopping where it counts for nothing?

I also wouldn't sign any outfield players over the age of 25.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

MB wrote:
Make you right there. Also agree that we should be doing what we should have done last summer and the summer before....3 top class signings and a couple of loans / freebies. None of this 10 players in that will be sold next summer at a tidy profit for the owners nonsense.

I'm actually dreading it as it'll be the usual garbage spouted by Sullivan
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Assuming we stay up, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hart signed permanently, probably taking a wage cut in the process [for PR sake].
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the celestial insect wrote:Assuming we stay up, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hart signed permanently, probably taking a wage cut in the process [for PR sake].
Nor would I, and probably on a free.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Can't see us buying a DM if we keep Obiang and Noble is still first team material as we have Rice who could fill in if needed - if we do go looking for one maybe put in a bid for Southampton's Romeu , at 26 he'll help bring down our average age .

Shame Burke didn't come on as well as Rice has done otherwise we'd be well set for centre halves , as it stands we're going to need at least one , Jonny Evans at £3m please .

Right sided midfielder/winger - personally I'd be looking at West Bromwich pair Nacer Chadli and Matt Phillips , would give us energy and accuracy of cross .
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

If we are to progress, the minimum budget required is 60m.

Anything less is admitting failure or admittance to stand still.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Diogenes wrote:If we are to progress, the minimum budget required is 60m.

Diogenes wrote:If we are to progress, the minimum budget required is 60m.

I make you right. Simon Jordan last week reckoned to try to ensure you remain in the Prem you need to spend £50 mill per season though he did clarify not necessarily all net. That shocked me as that is well over what we will regularly or even occasionally these days spend. And that is not taking into consideration just how weak and unbalanced our squad is so on his basis 50mill looks light in our situation.

As such what with the realisation of that and reading others comments here I get progressively more depressed by the day.
1) if we go down I can't see any easy way up
2) if we stay up I can't see a division as weak as this year in which sadly we still looked decidedly, indeed woefully uncompetitive.
3) the turn around of players, want outs, forced or required just through age or injury alone is scary and difficult to see it will be navigated successfully even if decent funds were available.
4) even if we had the budget to accomplish 3 (highly unlikely) we no longer have the pull of recent seasons or the competence in doing so to attract the players required and we know Sullivan will not change, he still thinks he is a winner suffering bad luck or from the incompetence of others. Plus the necessary turnover even if completed well will disrupt the team at a crucial stage with confidence already drained.
5) the stench of negativity and general incompetence, delusion and failure around the club at every level will only be deeper.
6) the fans depression without positive changes to the above (which we know will at best be superficial) won't improve leading go more negativity, potentially much more toxic than currently.
7) the owners are out of their depth even on Even in a kindergarten kick around and will never accept the realities and change their approach even if faced by a TVG closing in on them as they discuss which direction to travel on their pump trolley. Thus it's only the timing of the disaster that's in question it seems to me.
8) and like Wenger Sullivans prime goal is to prove he can still succeed no matter what the evidence to the contrary. After all he will be defined by this so the club, fans whatever is secondary to his ego and place in history.

So for me it's likely the glorious choice of are we to be Villa or Sunderland in the foreseeable future.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Out:
GK: Hart
Def: Evra, Byram (£5 million)
Mid: Snodgrass (£12 million), Kouyate (£15 million)
Att: Chicharito (£15 million)

£47 million

In:

GK: Johnstone (£5 million)
Def: Fredericks (Free), Moore (£8 million)
Mid: McGinn (£5 million), Leko (£8 million), Dendonker (£20 million), Mario (£20 million)
Att: Balotelli (free)

£66 million

Johnstone
Rice Ogbonna Moore
Fredericks Noble Dendonker Masuaku
Lanzini Arnautovic
Balotelli

Adrian, Reid, McGinn, Antonio, Mario, Hugill, Leko

Top 8.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Does anybody else think we should add Cullen to the list of outs ? I know we haven't seen that much of him, but when he has, to me, he looks like he hides in midfield
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

He had two teeth kicked down his throat. You call that hiding?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Gold revealed it on the radio interview. We currently have a budget of 20 million (maintaining our curious debt of 100 million)

We need at least 8 players imo. The ones to shift are either loans or past it.

i only have a cse in Maths....but I think we are screwed. And Gold is a crook.Pardon?
20 million?? They really are a couple of piss takers aren't they.

What's the ****ing point if that is the limit of their ambition?
artlin

Post by artlin »

MB wrote:The isn't a lot of value shopping from the relegated sides as the wages are so high and the clubs will still want top dollar.

Why pay £20m and £100k a week on a 6 or 7 out of ten like Joe Allen when you can pick up the same player in France for a fraction of that?

I wouldn't do business with any (current) premier league teams unless it is to poach a youngster. Why waste your buying power by shopping where it counts for nothing?

I mostly agree with this.

However, I would take Ward-Prowse if possible. Such a talent!,
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by Bill »

Why do we put ourselves through this bull**** every transfer window? You know Sullivan won't spend proper money. We've been complaining that he's bleeding the club dry, and then all of a sudden people on here convince themselves that we have decent targets. We will spend feck all and use the scattergun as usual. You know this!!
Geoff Peters-Moore
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Geoff Peters-Moore »

Heaton, Johnstone
Adam Smith
Evans
Wilshere
Dendonker
Phillips/Ward Prowse
Balotelli/Smalov

Out
Hart Adrian (unfortunately - I still think he would be a good no 1 if those I'm front of him inspired more confidence)
Evra
Byram (quality and injuries)
Reid (Injury prone)
Obiang (won't be an automatic choice and we might need the money)
Antonio (think he will now get frequent hamstrings)
Snodgrass
Hernandez