Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by sutts07 »

Only really Tadic that interests me out of the potential relegation candidates (let's not forget we are still part of that group too). I'd prefer to have Rondon in the squad over Hugill too though, especially if we manage to get Carroll out of the club.

To be honest, I have all but given up on getting any money back for Carroll now but he needs to be off loaded, even if it is for a loss. I'd expect Hernandez to leave too so we will once again be shopping around for a front man. If (huge IF) Danny Ings has put his injuries behind him now he could be a decent pick up for us.

I am one of the many who have questioned Lanzini and his attitude this season, unquestionable talent who still looks to be one of our top players when only putting in 50% but really have to asses this one. Hate to say it but it might be worth cashing in on him while his price is undoubtedly high. Would be interested in seeing if we could tempt Will Hughes away from Watford if this happened.

I'll be very disappointed (but not at all surprised) to see both keepers leave this season. This will leave us with a totally avoidable, unwelcome and urgent recruitment need. If this happens we need to go shopping for a quality but affordable keeper such as Ralf Fährmann to be our number one.

Without a doubt though, the likes of Carvalho and Dendoncker are where all of our efforts should be initially focused this summer.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

People are kidding themselves with some of those players listed.

How many more transfer windows do we need to go through to realise that these crooks won't spend what we actually need.

Jordan Hugill. :eh:
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

GK: Keep Adrian as no 1, but if he wants to head home as rumored then get Jack Butland in, though more likely to be Ben Foster with our spending record. Send Hart back to Man City, promote Nathan Trott to second choice.

RB: Sign a new main starter as Zabaleta will be in last year of his deal, Matteo Darmian from Man United or Aleix Vidal at Barcelona? Neither getting much of a look-in but both would be an upgrade for us. Loan Sam Byram out, desperately needs a full season of playing and staying fit.

CB: Rice and Ogbonna both to stay, bring Burke/Oxford back from loan to cover losing Ginge at the end of his contract, possibly need one more if Reid is done at this level after his latest injury (still think we'll sign Chris Smalling at some point in the next few years).

LB: Sell Cresswell and replace with Ryan Bertrand if Southampton go down. Release Evra at the end of his deal, ridiculous signing.

DM: Hopefully go back in for Dendoncker if we're willing to part with the cash; as we're unlikely to then expect a either a bosman or a season-long loan from somewhere.

RM/LM: Antonio and Masuaku as the main wingers when fit. Would like another option but more than likely squad players filling in (Fernandes, Snodgrass etc); should've kept Feghouli for this.

CM: One last year for Noble at this level, purely because there are too many other positions we'll have to spend out on this summer and our tight-wad owners won't want to pay out where they don't think they need to; same goes for Obiang and Kouyate.

AM: Keep Lanzini at all costs, though if we lose him would like Hakim Ziyech from Ajax, or possibly Javier Pastore at PSG, not playing much now they have the likes of Neymar, Di Maria etc to pick from. Pascal Gross at Brighton could be an option too.

ST: Give up trying to guess the next failed striker at this club; expecting a household name from six years ago and one Sully-special loanee on deadline day! Chicharito will probably want out after this year too.
sjfrost1001

Post by sjfrost1001 »

somerset-hammer wrote:Is this even a Transfer thread, until hammerman11 has listed the players he wants on every page?
Is it even a transfer thread, until Hammerman11 suggested we sign Kieran Trippier every day until the window closes?
westhamshares
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by westhamshares »

I really need to start taking some of these optimism pills that you guys are on

posting about who we are going to sign or the players you’d like to see us sign is such a waste of time

I would suggest listening to the recent( wiThin last 6 weeks) interview with gold in which he makes it abundantly clear that the club only have to spend what it generates

In other words only if we sell players will we have any monies and the possibility of buying players on credit

There will be no investment of new monies by the shareholders

Their repayment of capital and interest detailed in the last accounts is the confirmation of what route any monies will flow between the club and it’s shareholders

Our squad is extremely lightweight and we are clearly short in several positions and it will only get worse in the summer as well sell more players in order to buy or allow contracts to run down

Alas next season will be a repetition of this unless we start to actually outspend the other mid tier clubs
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Sell Ogbanna, Masuarka, bring back Ardebola, Nordsvelt, Fergouli and Callerei, bring in Smalling and Trippier :scarfer:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

That'll do.

:scarfer:
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

DDHammer wrote:Sell Ogbanna, Masuarka, bring back Ardebola, Nordsvelt, Fergouli and Callerei, bring in Smalling and Trippier :scarfer:
:lol:
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Are these wishlists for if we get a takeover? :)

Who can we sell of any value?

Lanzini, Oxford and possibly Antonio

We would probably take about 50m for the three of them and that’s the transfer budget minus a little more profit for Sullivan.

Can’t beleive some are talking about 30m+ signings... im sure we have been here before
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

So Fulham want around 30 for Tom Cairney, forget that and sign the younger and marginally better James Maddison for less. We're exactly the kind of t**ts that would go after Cairney and watch someone like Spurs get Maddison for less. Every time they transfer window opens we f**k about. I hate to say it but before buying or selling we should think 'what would Spurs do?' because they get it right most of the time while we continue to do things on the cheap but then end up wasting money.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

Given we all know our transfer budget won't be the largest clever scouting of the out of contract market can be a clever way to increase squad and add competition.

I also think with the increase in transfer fee's witnessed in recent years, and clubs being under less pressure to sell due to increased TV deals we'll see more and more players running their contracts down in favour of increased salaries and signing on fee's.

While i'm a big of Adrian and don't really understand why he's been dropped in favour of Hart, it seems clear to me either Bilic, Moyes and or Woods are less convinced, with that in mind we clearly need to bring in a keeper to provide competition or replace him as number 1.

Lukas Hradecky of Eintract Frankfurt is out of contract this summer and in the absence of Manuel Neuer has arguably been the best goalkeeper in the Budesliga this season. He'd be a really smart bit of business if we could pick him up and allow us to invest our meagre transfer budget across the other areas we need to strengthen

Obligatory scouting video

[youtube][/YouTube]

[YouTube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qgnf81Zv_f8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Iron Alex
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron Alex »

What's the obsession with signing players from relegated clubs?
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

madhammer wrote: Lukas Hradecky of Eintract Frankfurt is out of contract this summer and in the absence of Manuel Neuer has arguably been the best goalkeeper in the Budesliga this season. He'd be a really smart bit of business if we could pick him up and allow us to invest our meagre transfer budget across the other areas we need to strengthen
]
Oh well, didn't want him anyway.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

I was at Craven Cottage the other day and from what I've seen Cairney wouldn't get near a top 10 midfield in the Prem. Not one player on the pitch looked anywhere near good enough and it's worrying that that is the extent of our scouting.
Oh and Fredericks? Bang average but ANOTHER defender on a free, so who would be surprised at that one.

Why are we even getting so heavily linked with players when we're supposedly still waiting to appoint a DoF and turn around the scouting system? (could be nonsense but probably not knowing out lot).

Going for Cairney over Maddison would be a continuation of the short-sighted transfers our owners like to mis-spend their money on.
BostonHammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

I have read, written in, and been delighted by this yearly thread for at least a decade now.

I think, for the first time, I may skip it this year. What's the point in getting excited by names I know won't be signed? Lacazette, Bacca, Carvalho, Dendoncker, Payet leaving...the list of heart breaks go on and I'm sure Lanzini/Hernandez will also go and leave me feeling empty anyways from the reports I'll see, so why read everyone else's sadness as well?

When we have new owners I will be able to enjoy this thread again. Lord let the remainder of the lying scum brothers' reign be brief.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Iron Alex wrote:What's the obsession with signing players from relegated clubs?
I think its because people just want to be on the other side of what usually happens to us in such situations, just to see how it feels.
Mean Ashton

Post by Mean Ashton »

i see we are linked with about half of the Fulham side, might as well go the whole hog and get the manager as well.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I can think of about 30 million reasons why we will not get Tom Cairney

Same reasons we did not get Carvalho and Dendoncker
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Of the relegation candidates, who would improve our squad? I don't see many but:
West Brom ----- Dawson. Horrible dirty player but very good. Ideal for right side cb
Stoke -------------- Shaquiri, Joe Allen
Southampton-----Bertrand
Palace--------------Zaha, but he'll aim higher. Townsend, Loftus Cheek, but he's a Chelsea loanee
Huddersfield------No one
Swansea----------Mawson
I don't think any of the other players would be any improvement on our current squad, which probably explains why these teams are below us in the league
Castle
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Castle »

goa127 wrote:Of the relegation candidates, who would improve our squad? I don't see many but:
West Brom ----- Dawson. Horrible dirty player but very good. Ideal for right side cb
Stoke -------------- Shaquiri, Joe Allen
Southampton-----Bertrand
Palace--------------Zaha, but he'll aim higher. Townsend, Loftus Cheek, but he's a Chelsea loanee
Huddersfield------No one
Swansea----------Mawson
I don't think any of the other players would be any improvement on our current squad, which probably explains why these teams are below us in the league

I personally like Romeu and Butland - actually feel both would improve our starting 11.