Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Does anyone have an example of where a midtable team have actually become a contender for the Champions League off the back of a stadium move?

The "bigger stadium - the more successful club" mantra is all b*llocks.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

[quote="LincolnshireHammer"]Does anyone have an example of where a midtable team have actually become a contender for the Champions League off the back of a stadium move?

Leicester City?
Miles Standish Proud
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Miles Standish Proud »

Where is the real West Han Fans Group-approved architect who is coming in to sort out the stadium?
My guess is he's stuck in the same state of suspended animation that is currently afflicting the new Director of Football.
Flim Flam Flummox.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

One of my spud mates is posting up over Facebook he has renewed his ST at the new ***** lane...tbf he seems to have a lot of screen shots of his seat- he seemed to be able to do a 360 suvaliance of the ground and get to 'keep' the images. Looks nice and compact and close to the pitch too. Headbanger
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Miles Standish Proud wrote:Where is the real West Han Fans Group-approved architect who is coming in to sort out the stadium?
My guess is he's stuck in the same state of suspended animation that is currently afflicting the new Director of Football.
Flim Flam Flummox.

Rob from Southend is currently sunning it up in shagalof but has drafted a few rough sketches on the back of his happy meal box...
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Alfiehammer wrote:Karren Brady's "most successful stadium migration in history" is now being used by other Premier League teams an an example of how NOT to move a Football Club.

[url]

So how much they costing theirs out at?
Estimated at £500m, up from original £300m. Ready for 2022 season.

Spuds stadium original estimate £400m but now double that.

Apparently to appease fans who are not happy with the remote seating at the OS, the board are giving all ST holders in the upper tiers a 2% discount on club binoculars.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

That says it all...

:thdn:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

That image sends a shiver down my spine. What on earth happened.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

HammerMan2004 wrote:That image sends a shiver down my spine. What on earth happened.
We got ****ed. Proper.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

The problem with stadium builds is that they are planned 10 years before they actually happen. When Millwall built the new den about thirty years ago it was considered a model for the future, as it was anticipated that large stadia would be redundant in an era of live tv.Fast forward 20 years and everybody is trying to copy Man U and have big grounds. Come forward another 10 years to the present day and tv money dwarfs gate receipts. However TV money may be peaking and gate receipts may again become important. It's not just about money though. We now have a larger fan base compared with 40 years ago and need a stadium of 60k or so (assuming the team are not playing total s**t) to accommodate the support. It's not really about success, because as many have said it hasn't helped many clubs to succeed at all. It's just a sort of football evolution which will soon make the game unrecognisable from 50 years ago
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Interesting atuff from someone who was at the Essex CCC AGM last night about the possibility of T20 cricket being played at the OS
* In answer to playing T20 at the Olympic (London) Stadium - chances have 'waned' since stadium came under the control of the London Mayor - but Newham Council still keen.
Interestingly meeting told there was probably more chance of baseball than cricket being played there.

* It would cost about £2m to adapt the stadium for cricket use.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Interesting bit of info that. Makes sense when you see the conversion cost though.

I doubt you'd get an average ticket price of much more than £30 for a T20 game there. With the novelty value of an MLB game in Europe and what they've seen happen at Wembley/Twickenham with NFL in recent years they must think that baseball is the money spinner.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Interesting bit of info that. Makes sense when you see the conversion cost though.

I doubt you'd get an average ticket price of much more than £30 for a T20 game there. With the novelty value of an MLB game in Europe and what they've seen happen at Wembley/Twickenham with NFL in recent years they must think that baseball is the money spinner.
They were talking about India v Pakistan there in the 2019 World Cup. You could charge what you want.
Danny's Dyer Acting

I retract my comment in that case! I thought it was only Essex games they were talking about.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Interesting. 1860 Munich are ditching their groundshare at the Allianz with Bayern and going back to their original home.

Please don't feel the need to point out that I've just read an old article and this happened ages ago
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Miles Standish Proud wrote:Where is the real West Han Fans Group-approved architect who is coming in to sort out the stadium?
Flim Flam Flummox.
Us this summer:
[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T1UHwZS3FE8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Flim Flam Flummox.
Well I understand he's doing it all by Skype so probably waiting till he can afford more bandwidth.
Miles Standish Proud
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Miles Standish Proud »

E17. Well dug out. Funniest clip I have seen since Canning Town Len's musical.
:thup:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

e17 wrote: Us this summer

:lol: Uncanny.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

More trouble with the Westfield security after the game.

New barriers inside stopping people getting through or to the car parks without going outside and walking around.

Kicked off a bit