the dinner thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Re: the dinner thread

Post by Tenbury »

Was going to do a meatloaf,but 3 month old oven has blown up,so the kids' mother's doing a bolognese (a la Aunt Marcella, who hailed from those parts.) Currently the smell is wafting through the house........all is well.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Start off with chicken breasts, dice them and coat with egg, seasoned flour (salt, black pepper and chilli flakes) and breadcrumbs . I cook the chicken in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes because its easier than shallow or deep frying.

Once the chicken is cooked, fry onions, peppers and chilli in a large frying pan or wok, add the chicken along with Chinese five spice and salt. Serve with chips, rice, noodles or whatever you fancy.
Noble Man
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Noble Man »

sendô wrote:Gammon, egg, chips & beans.

Sometimes the simple meals are the best, and I enjoyed that far more than I really should have.

Home made oven chips too were spot on.
:thup: Cant beat a bit of gammon and a runny egg.

How did you do your chips - can never seem to get them right??
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

jastons wrote:Start off with chicken breasts, dice them and coat with egg, seasoned flour (salt, black pepper and chilli flakes) and breadcrumbs . I cook the chicken in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes because its easier than shallow or deep frying.

Once the chicken is cooked, fry onions, peppers and chilli in a large frying pan or wok, add the chicken along with Chinese five spice and salt. Serve with chips, rice, noodles or whatever you fancy.
That sounds sweet - that's tomorrow's dinner sorted :thup:
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Tonight it's going to be roast pork belly with lot's of crackling, cauliflower cheese and roast tatties, I'm salivating already. :P
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Mmm... Belly....
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

DasNutNock wrote:Mmm... Belly....

Exactly.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Noble Man wrote: :thup: Cant beat a bit of gammon and a runny egg.

I bloody love gammon and egg me. I often do it with bubble instead of chips, which is pretty much orgasmic in the winter.

Chips - I left the skin on, and cut roughly into 1cm thick pieces, being careful not to be so careful that they were all uniform and exact - I like a few crispy ones here and there.

Boiled kettle and fill saucepan. Chuck in a fair helping of salt (about as much as you might normally sprinkle over cooked chips) then chuck in the chips and par boil for 5 mins or so.

Then I lay onto a baking tray that's been presprays with some of that low cal oil spray stuff and warmed up in a preheated oven, 200ºC or so. Give them a quick coating on top with the spray and give them 20 mins or so. Turn over halfway through. Might take a bit longer depending on how crispy you like them.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Noble Man wrote:Gammon, egg, chips & beans.

Sometimes the simple meals are the best, and I enjoyed that far more than I really should have.

Home made oven chips too were spot on.
sendô wrote: :thup: Cant beat a bit of gammon and a runny egg.

For starters throw in the bin any shitty electric contraption, also veg oil is b*llocks
get a big but old heavy saucepan. few pound of beef dripping and cut the chips yourself, none of that pre-oiled garbage the supermarkets kick out .
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

A "hot" Salad : Home made coleslaw, grilled fish-less fingers in a chilli oil, grill asparagus in garlic oil, avocado, black olives, sun-dried toms, marinated aubergine, cue, toms, raisins, a soya Weiner (chopped) with a drizzle of hot chilli sauce.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Spag Boll last night :thup:
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

WHU Independent wrote:A "hot" Salad : Home made coleslaw, grilled fish-less fingers in a chilli oil, grill asparagus in garlic oil, avocado, black olives, sun-dried toms, marinated aubergine, cue, toms, raisins, a soya Weiner (chopped) with a drizzle of hot chilli sauce.
A what now?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ fried breadcrumbs?
sorry, grilled breadcrumbs!
WHU Independent

warp wrote:^ fried breadcrumbs?
sorry, grilled breadcrumbs!
Yup all good grilled - especially when you have them in a small tray with a little bit of oil - save them being deep fried or oven baked.

These actually: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /294628574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I love em!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

"breaded quorn" would be a much more precise indication of what you're eating :wink:
WHU Independent

warp wrote:"breaded quorn" would be a much more precise indication of what you're eating :wink:
You are not wrong Warp, but on the whole for me, the Faux titles such as fish/chicken/steak is to give the eater an indication of what texture it has, and not necessarily the taste. I used to eat fish when I eat animals and these fish-less fingers taste nothing like fish - and I am happy with that as I didn't like fish that much when I eat it - but the texture is similar. It would be dull for us that don't eat animal products if all quorn was made in the same way with the same texture. You'll see "Chicken style pieces" and a lot of other products that talk mainly about the texture not the taste. That's because Quorn taste mainly of the herbs and spices you put into it.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

As does cardboard.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Yep, I had a vision in my head of just a pile of oven cooked breadcrumbs when you said fish-less fingers!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I had smoked tofu in a stir fry yesterday. Didn't taste of meat, tasted of smoked tofu. And jolly nice it was, too.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

got mrs ch sheperds pie with carrots cabbage and peas superb