Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Post by Jumby »

So all of the top six keepers have been f**king up, I think people need to realise that it's part of the game, keepers make mistakes, it happens, it's just the volume of them that separates the good from the bad.

We won't get better than Adrian, not for a few years anyway, I'd much rather us stick with him and sort out the mess that is the outfield squad, than f**k about trying to land an Adrian replacement on the cheap.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

One of the first things I do when I come onto the forum is check to make sure Jumby is around.

I can then move onto other threads safe knowing he's got Adrain's back :thup:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

That is because Adrian is a classy guy and never made a move on Jumby's other half. Hugill on the other hand... the bounder...
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Jumby wrote:Lloris with another error, will they drop him? Will they f**k.
He makes the odd error but gives you a sweeper for free which let's you play your defensive line higher without the usual downside significantly improving your overall defence.

Adrian makes the odd error but... er... has good hair
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

One of the very very few West Ham players I would be gutted to see go.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Haha, my love for the man is unconditional :lol:

This Chelsea fixture is where he first won a place in my heart, four years ago in a 0-0, the "19th century football" match! Adrian made about four World Class saves that night.

Jordan Hugill was playing non league at around about that time!
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

Jumby wrote:Haha, my love for the man is unconditional :lol:

This Chelsea fixture is where he first won a place in my heart, four years ago in a 0-0, the "19th century football" match! Adrian made about four World Class saves that night.

No no, Allardyce 'out tacticked' mourinho dont you know. :lol:
dixie1978
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by dixie1978 »

I love the passion of Adrian, on his day he is a top top keeper BUT.....

I think we need to freshen up the keepers at the club as this season this has been our biggest blight.

He has been a great servant and truly passionate, but for the greater good i would sell.

:crest:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Jumby wrote:Haha, my love for the man is unconditional :lol:

And at Hugill’s age Adrian was in Betis’s B Team who are in the third tier of Spanish football...
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Adrian can have no complaints. He has been dropped once last season and twice this season and is still making mistakes. All the excuses being made for him don't wash with me. Yes he is playing behind a poor defence. But is that an acceptable excuse to let the soft goals he has let in, or not come for crosses? A poor defence can knock a goalkeeper's confidence absolutely. But you can equally argue a rash, shakey keeper can equally knock the confidence out of some of our defence.

The truth to the argument is it's a combination of both, an ageing defence and slight under-investement. I say 'slight under-investment' as I believe you can still find and sign good keepers and defenders for low money with the right scouting and coaching. Look at Burnley's. I am sure their defence and goalkeepers didn't cost an arm and a leg.

All goalkeepers make mistakes. The bottom line is you will never sign the perfect goalkeepers. But for me a sign a good keeper is one that reacts well from his mistakes and doesn't go on a long consistent run of mistakes. That's why for me Adrian isn't quite good enough as he has been dropped 3 times and even though he has done well when he returns that complacency sooner or later creeps back in and he goes through a run of games where he makes loads of silly mistakes and conceding soft goals. Joe Hart also is in that category. Remember he was dropped twice at Man City. Admittedly I still thought he would be good for a club of our level, but has sadly been a big disappointment.

I love Adrian's character and the fact he loves the club. But i don't agree at all that we can't find a better keeper. I would only keep him if he is happy to be 2nd choice, which I personally don't think he will be. So if we don't keep Joe Hart, which I can't see happening unless Moyes wants him, Man City will flog him for a low fee, or/and he is happy to take a big wage cut, we will need 2 new keepers.

I can see us repeating what we had under Big Sam. I.e. An experienced keeper (Jasskelainen) and a youngish keeper that has the potential to improve and is a low fee / free gamble (Adrian).

I predict we'll sign:

- Ben Foster / Joe Hart - as the experienced Keeper.

- Sam Johnstone / Joel Drommel - the youngish Keeper.

My choice would be go to Burnley and find out which Keeper is likely to be 2nd choice next season (probably Heaton) and bring them in.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I've no doubt that we could find a better keeper, I just know that WE won't find a better keeper. With that in mind I'd much rather stick with something that isn't actually broken and we turn our concentration to the outfield personnel, which desperately needs sorting out.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

MB wrote: Adrian makes the odd error but... er... has good hair
Don't forget that he is the closest player to our fans for most of the match, and sometimes gestures towards us. This means that he is our friend, and it would be improper to not declare him our best player.
See also; Jussi Jaaskelainen 2013
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

Jumby wrote:I've no doubt that we could find a better keeper, I just know that WE won't find a better keeper. With that in mind I'd much rather stick with something that isn't actually broken and we turn our concentration to the outfield personnel, which desperately needs sorting out.
good post :thup:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Listen to Jumby :thup:
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

dixie1978 wrote: I think we need to freshen up the keepers at the club as this season this has been our biggest blight.
A defence almost all of whom are either the wrong side of 30 or grossly inexperienced;
No defensive midfielder;
Hardly any recognised strikers.

Goalkeeper is far from the number one priority position to strengthen.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Simple point.

Everton cup game, January 2016: penalty shoot out. Gloves thrown to floor. Goal scored. Hero for life.

Stop whinging about the odd mistake that they all make.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

dixie1978 wrote: I think we need to freshen up the keepers at the club as this season this has been our biggest blight.
A defence almost all of whom are either the wrong side of 30 or grossly inexperienced;
No defensive midfielder;
Hardly any recognised strikers.

Goalkeeper is far from the number one priority position to strengthen.[/quote]

Exactly.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Jumby wrote:So all of the top six keepers have been f**king up, I think people need to realise that it's part of the game, keepers make mistakes, it happens, it's just the volume of them that separates the good from the bad.

We won't get better than Adrian, not for a few years anyway, I'd much rather us stick with him and sort out the mess that is the outfield squad, than f**k about trying to land an Adrian replacement on the cheap.
:thup:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Jumby wrote:I've no doubt that we could find a better keeper, I just know that WE won't find a better keeper. With that in mind I'd much rather stick with something that isn't actually broken and we turn our concentration to the outfield personnel, which desperately needs sorting out.
The team play better with him in goal, probably confidence, and the fact he shouts, organises, and gives them encouragement, yes like all keepers he has the odd gaffe, 90% due the the absolute crock of **** playing in front of him, an ageing lacklustre defence that have had their time, and are now going through the motions, not helped by a midfield, that tries but is more often than not hopelessly non-existant, need I go on , but hey let's blame it on the last gasp saviour, who hopelessly let down by the buffoons in front of him is left holding the shitty stick , yeah not the greatest keeper in the world but I love his passion, he loves us, and who will we get that is better, that wants to play for us as much as he does, I love Adrian St Mick of the castle :crest:
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

In Adrian we trust.

:crest: