Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

bondsbootlaces wrote:My manager having the hump with me for something not work related and trivial. He finished work before me yesterday night and has had the right ****hole that I didn't get the train with him.

I don't mind so much him having the hump with me, he just has it with everyone. Silent treatment for the whole team.

Still the pettiest thing today had to be when it was my turn to make the tea for us all, I put his down, he picked it up and walked directly to the sink and chucked it away.

He's acting like a child, it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Are you Harry Kane and he's Christian Eriksen?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Meghan & Harry.
Not interested now, never was & never will be.
News just in:
William & Kate have just been 'instructed' to have at least, another 5 children... :wink:
Samba

Post by Samba »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: My back permanently ruined from my bricklaying days, specifically from building with 9-inch concrete blocks. They weighed over 40kg which doesn't sound much but when you're throwing them up all day long, it soon takes it toll, especially when building walls over head height. I had heard rumours that they'd been banned but I've seen them on sale for private use. I'm not the only one who's suffered too, I've spoken to a fair few ex-bricklayers and hod-carriers who've suffered in a similar way too.
That's exactly the kind of thing, I'm talking about, GC.
Imo, 40kg's is f***ing heavy, unless you're a weightlifter.
Just had a look at current regs. Would you believe?
'There is currently no legal rule or standard for maximum daily loads in terms of manual handling. This is because the ability to manually handle safely can vary greatly from person to person (due to physical strength, endurance, etc.), as well as numerous other environmental factors. However, manual handling regulations require businesses to make sure manual handling activities do not place undue strain on operators. So if you discover that your work activities are causing strain to your body*, your business is legally required to alter the way you carry it out – whether that’s by reducing the load or by implementing other measures, such as mechanical assistance.'

*Of course, the trouble with that bowlocks is that, you may not feel the strain after one or two incidents of overextending. By the time you recognise that manual handling or weightlifting tasks are causing you discomfort, you may have already suffered a long-term injury.

25kg's seems to get bandied about now as an unwritten max, but even that should not be raised above elbow height, even close to the body.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

prophet:marginal wrote:People who, when waiting for a train's doors to open, say, on the left of the doors, then walk across everybody else, to go and grab a seat on the right of the doors.

Some idiot did it today and got all wound up after having a phone he was gawping at knocked out of his hand.

We all want to sit down after a day's work - if that was what he'd been doing - but barging past/into people and getting all precious about a mobile...

Irritation.
spot on
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

^^^ Aha, so not banned then (on the grounds of them being too heavy). Who’d have thought? It’s a subjective piece of legislation it has to be said.

If you went round complaining about the blocks being too heavy back then you’d have been called all sorts and then given your marching orders from the site. I worked on Canary Wharf when it was going up and we were on price work at £1 a block. This sounds great but doing that all week, 6 days a week was what ruined me. I persevered for another few years but was continually having to have time off with back pain until it got to the point where I said “no more”. I was one of the lucky ones as I was young - there was blokes I worked with in their 40s and 50s who were almost bent double trying to work, but didn’t know anything else apart from bricklaying so had to stick it out. I dread to think how they ended up.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

3 punctures in 3 days commuting by bike. Repaired this one before setting off again, then nearly being killed by some Eastern European b*stard, reversing his car into the main road and into me, then threatening me when I registered my disapproval.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

DasNutNock wrote:3 punctures in 3 days commuting by bike.
Dan. You are of course checking the tyre properly when you fit the new inner tube? If you can identify the exact spot it is easier, but otherwise slowly run fingers round the inside of the tyre to check no sharp items. I've had bits of glass stuck in the tyre not visible from the outside but leaving a tiny dagger which will burst a new inner each time. Then use a screwdriver to push back through and remove.

Three times is incredibly unlucky, if it's the same wheel I'd be suspicious.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

2 x rear wheel, 1 x front (today)

First was, I think, the tube just getting too old, and I got a flat on the rear. Repaired it at the office, and made it home okay, so assumed would be alright. Tube went again the following morning, so stuck in a new one, and replaced the tyre when I got home (running much nicer now).

This morning, I'd made it about 200m down the road when I heard hissing from the front wheel, and found a big bit of glass stuck in the tyre. Another new tube went in because I'd already patched it twice and have ordered more replacement tyres, too.

Any idea if that "anti puncture tape" stuff is worth using?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Samba wrote:Just had a look at current regs. Would you believe?
'There is currently no legal rule or standard for maximum daily loads in terms of manual handling. This is because the ability to manually handle safely can vary greatly from person to person (due to physical strength, endurance, etc.), as well as numerous other environmental factors. However, manual handling regulations require businesses to make sure manual handling activities do not place undue strain on operators. So if you discover that your work activities are causing strain to your body*, your business is legally required to alter the way you carry it out – whether that’s by reducing the load or by implementing other measures, such as mechanical assistance.'

*Of course, the trouble with that bowlocks is that, you may not feel the strain after one or two incidents of overextending. By the time you recognise that manual handling or weightlifting tasks are causing you discomfort, you may have already suffered a long-term injury.

25kg's seems to get bandied about now as an unwritten max, but even that should not be raised above elbow height, even close to the body.
The regs used to define a weight - 20kg I think it was - but the trouble with that is some people are more able to comfortably lift more than others, and not all people can comfortably lift 20kg.

The regs might seem open to interpretation, but nonetheless they make clear that there is an obligation on employers to make sure that the work they are asking their operatives to carry out is within their capability, they have the correct tools and equipment for that task, and are suitably trained.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Went to the cafe and had a fry up for breakfast (which was distinctly average), asked for toast on the side - and was given the nobby. :|
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

DasNutNock wrote:

A lot of couriers (including me) used to coat the inside of the rear tyre (M/cycle) with OKO. It wasn't supposed to be for road use,but it was pretty effective. [ trouble is,you're often filtering up the inside or outside of queues, and that's where all the crap collects ]
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

DasNutNock wrote:2 x rear wheel, 1 x front (today)

First was, I think, the tube just getting too old, and I got a flat on the rear. Repaired it at the office, and made it home okay, so assumed would be alright. Tube went again the following morning, so stuck in a new one, and replaced the tyre when I got home (running much nicer now).

This morning, I'd made it about 200m down the road when I heard hissing from the front wheel, and found a big bit of glass stuck in the tyre. Another new tube went in because I'd already patched it twice and have ordered more replacement tyres, too.

Why are you using conventional tyres? Why don't you use puncture-resistant tyres? They're cheap and won't puncture. Gotta be better than the usual rubber stuff. Only wish they did them for motorbikes so cheap.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... re-700x38c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Am tempted to get some of them Schwalbe's, though surely they're just regular tyres with some sort of puncture tape pre-applied?

I've run Maxxis Ignitors since I got the bike in 2010, as they were the model supplied. Thought they were meant to be Kevlar, but clearly not. Anyway, they're far too knobbly for my commute, which is 90% cycle paths and only a few metres on mud, so some smoother replacements are under investigation.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

DasNutNock wrote:Am tempted to get some of them Schwalbe's, though surely they're just regular tyres with some sort of puncture tape pre-applied?
them Schwalbe's get really good reviews and many use them on-road and have found them really comfortable. If you insist on smooth tyres, check out the Specialized Armadillo All Condition Tyres

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-00119290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I think semi-slick tyres would make most sense, given that it's pretty much purely a commuter bike now. Hardly ever get to do any legit MTBing any more.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

DasNutNock wrote:I think semi-slick tyres would make most sense, given that it's pretty much purely a commuter bike now. Hardly ever get to do any legit MTBing any more.
I've been commuting with Schwalbe Marathons for a couple of years and would highly recommend them. Virtually no punctures thanks to the kevlar coating, and very little wear on the tread. Perfect for roads and semi-rough cycle paths.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I have Schwalbe Big Apples on my Dahon Jack folding MTB(ish). They came as original equipment and many years later still haven't had a puncture. They sound like what you describe, the tread is heavily road biased.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Marathons it is. Which ones do I want - these Greenguard ones? Or a different model? Assume I want the narrowest ones that'll fit on my wheels (26" Sun DS2-XC)?
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

DasNutNock wrote:Marathons it is. Which ones do I want - these Greenguard ones? Or a different model? Assume I want the narrowest ones that'll fit on my wheels (26" Sun DS2-XC)?
I think I have the ones in GCRO's link. Any other variants look more knobbly. And yes, narrower will get you there quicker.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Dan. You are of course checking the tyre properly when you fit the new inner tube? If you can identify the exact spot it is easier, but otherwise slowly run fingers round the inside of the tyre to check no sharp items. I've had bits of glass stuck in the tyre not visible from the outside but leaving a tiny dagger which will burst a new inner each time. Then use a screwdriver to push back through and remove.
Three times is incredibly unlucky, if it's the same wheel I'd be suspicious.
Wise words from BilR, there. Shards of glass can be a ba*t*rd in hiding.
One August I think I had 8 punctures. I was very dischuffed, that year.
I think some of them was to do with my not realising that going over long, trailing bramble things, that you can't always avoid, across canal paths or any path, are rather like going over a police 'stinger', sometimes..