Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by wizzo_66 »

Andy Carroll when fit has been available for managers to select since 2012.

He's a good player, one that has a part to play in a squad challenging in the top half of the Premier League. Something we aren't even doing at the moment.

I have said it every season since he signed - Andy Carroll is not the problem, signing a better forward is.

We have had him for 6 years - why haven't the owners put their hands in their pockets to upgrade our centre forward option? We've signed a million and 1 players in 'forward' positions. Not one has been capable of leading the line better than he can - that's why managers continue to pick him whenever he is available. His injuries have been frustrating but the fact is we shouldn't be relying on picking him - we are one of the richest clubs in the world these days.

Now Arnie can play up top - but he's not a natural centre forward. He'd be even more devastating having the free reign of that left hand side and playing off a proper centre forward, Antonio (or an alternative wide forward) the other side, Lanzini or another creative influence in behind.

Another one at the foot of the owners door for me. We wouldn't be talking about his injuries if we were using him from the bench and he came up with the odd winner here and there.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

wizzo_66 wrote:
We have had him for 6 years - why haven't the owners put their hands in their pockets to upgrade our centre forward option? We've signed a million and 1 players in 'forward' positions. Not one has been capable of leading the line better than he can - that's why managers continue to pick him whenever he is available. His injuries have been frustrating but the fact is we shouldn't be relying on picking him - we are one of the richest clubs in the world these days.
Because every year, there is the expectation he will be fit, and for some reason people seem to rate him

Therefore this impacts on our impetus to sign another 'big name' striker

of course it is impossible to know for sure, but if we hadn't signed him all those long years ago we would probably have purchased somewhere better in that time. In my opinion, he has been a millstone round our striker transfer business all the way up until last summer - when we did decide to finally spend relatively big money on an alternative (albeit, a very different kind of striker)
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

His last game for us before his latest injury was against West Brom where he scored twice. Just saying :)

Bonus to have on the bench for the last six games (if he stays fit that long). Should look to part ways at the end of the season. Good player imo, but an appalling injury record.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Including when he was here on loan, and assuming he doesn’t play any more games this season, he’s played an average of 18 league games per season, scoring an average of just over 5 goals per season. Whichever way you look at it, playing less than half a season is nowhere near good enough. All the promise of him being an impact sub or being unplayable on his day just isn’t able to ring true as he’ll never be fit enough. Any transfer fee we get for him and freeing up the supposed 80k a week wages can surely be used in a better way (presuming it doesn’t end up in Sully’s pocket).
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:His last game for us before his latest injury was against West Brom where he scored twice. Just saying

Bonus to have on the bench for the last six games (if he stays fit that long)
If it wasn't for Andy we'd be on the same points as Crystal Palace just now and 3 points off Southampton - yes , he's only bagged 2 goals thus far this season but even when he was prolific he was never that prolific , the most he's ever scored in one season was 11 for Newcastle from 19 appearances which got him a £35m transfer to Liverpool - There's more to Andy Carroll's game than scoring goals but every year we have these discussions about his attributes and his deficiencies and every year the numbers of those sticking up for him get fewer .
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

As wizzo alluded to earlier, if we had an actual attacking group, that could all rotate in and out for different games, then Andy wouldn't get the stick he gets. Because of our deficiencies in that area, every time he comes back from injury he has to been seen as the messiah.

With the money we have, 80k isn't that much on a sub, Hernandez and Hart had a combined weekly wage of £250k sitting on the bench for half the season. Imagine if that had been spent elsewhere.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
If it wasn't for Andy we'd be on the same points as Crystal Palace just now and 3 points off Southampton - yes , he's only bagged 2 goals thus far this season but even when he was prolific he was never that prolific , the most he's ever scored in one season was 11 for Newcastle from 19 appearances which got him a £35m transfer to Liverpool - There's more to Andy Carroll's game than scoring goals but every year we have these discussions about his attributes and his deficiencies and every year the numbers of those sticking up for him get fewer .
If Andy weren't with us we would have recruited another striker. Maybe they would have contributed more. Of course we can never know for sure, but he certainly hasn't contributed much. The first of a bunch of big names you could say that of...Hart and Evra the latest...
The Old Man of Storr

Carlton'sGoal wrote: Hernandez and Hart had a combined weekly wage of £250k sitting on the bench for half the season. Imagine if that had been spent elsewhere.
Add to that the monies Sullivan spent on Zaza , Calleri and all those South American punts who couldn't get a start under various managers - Sullivan gambles and wastes so much money on players he thinks might make it in the Premier League when he could be employing a professional Director Of Football to do the job properly .
smfc

Post by smfc »

Clacton-ammer wrote: We also have to remember that when Carroll wasn't in the team during the period of this analysis we had a whole host of 'strikers' playing for us (some who were very poor), so he really should have demonstrated superiority given what he was up against

I think in the last two seasons the analysis may skew ever so slightly in his favour, but again, last season the alternatives were Zaza and Calleri - so you would hope he would do better!
Is the absolute crux of the problem with Carroll, overlooked by most. He really isn't that good, I'd imagine some Chinese club might punt for him based on the YouTube video someone could put together. :thup:
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Is he still here? God I have forgotten about this waste of club wages.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Carlton'sGoal wrote: Hernandez and Hart had a combined weekly wage of £250k sitting on the bench for half the season. Imagine if that had been spent elsewhere.
The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Add to that the monies Sullivan spent on Zaza , Calleri and all those South American punts who couldn't get a start under various managers - Sullivan gambles and wastes so much money on players he thinks might make it in the Premier League when he could be employing a professional Director Of Football to do the job properly .

Just wondering if we would have needed to take all those punts "if" Carroll had ever remained fit ? Always needing someone else because he couldn't be guaranteed to be here for more than 5 games in a row Sully wouldn't have needed a freebie or loan to supplement our striking options.

I mean it's not as if they did it before he came is it ??

Oh, wait........

:lol:

(I still think my point has "some" validity though)
The Old Man of Storr

upton o'good wrote:
If Andy weren't with us we would have recruited another striker. ..
OK , I'll only stick to the strikers Sullivan & Gold signed during or after the season we signed Andy Carroll -

Modiba Maiga - Maruoane Chamakh - Sean Maguire - Wellington Paulista - Paul McCallum - Marco Borriello - Carlton Cole [ re-signed ] - Enner Valencia - Diafra Sakho - Mauro Zarate - Nikica Jelavic - Emmanuel Emenike - Simone Zaza - Jonathan Calleri - Ashley Fletcher - Javier Hernandez - Jordan Hughill - Oladapo Afolayan .

All those strikers were signed by our owners during or after the season Andy Carroll joined us , they are the quality of striker Sullivan signs if Carroll was here or not -
Yes , they signed Javier Hernandez but instead of playing him Moyes prefers to play a record breaking winger instead because no thought goes into our transfer targets as Sullivan would rather play at Director Of Football than employ a professional .

Since the season we signed Andy Carroll on loan we have signed 18 other strikers , 15 of them have gone , Andy's still here .
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

OMoS

He's only still here because we cannot get rid of him.....

imvho that is..

however the quality of other strikers signed by them ...well it reminds me of several roots canals that I had..

didn't bother me at all.........until the Novocaine wore off !!!!!!!!!

Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

I actually forgot about him too. Decent to have on the bench for the close of the season, especially v Arsenal who he would bully.

Please get rid at the end of the season. I am sure some clubs would match his wages if the fee was heavily reduced to say £5m.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

I think any improvements to the stadium would be papering over the cracks in the sense that the place just wasn't built to retain noise and atmosphere.
The Old Man of Storr

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:OMoS

He's only still here because we cannot get rid of him.....

imvho that is..

Well , yeah , there is that , and of course the 6 year contract our Director Of Football gave him .

Sullivan gambles on players - giving Andy Carroll a 6 year contract wasn't his best bet .

Anyway , could be back for Stoke .
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

it's always "He could be back for........." (insert name of team of the week)

remember when he was going to be out for 6 weeks one time....and missed the entire season and I think the start of the next...

DoF love 6 year contract..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Winston Reid got one too....

Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Andy Carroll has played 110 Premier League games of a possible 220 to date - 50%.
So in the 6 years he has been at the club he has only been available for 3 of those.....staggering when you think about it. .
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Overchuffed wrote:Andy Carroll has played 110 Premier League games of a possible 220 to date - 50%.
So in the 6 years he has been at the club he has only been available for 3 of those.....staggering when you think about it. .
To put it into context.....Abou Diaby played 51% of Arsenals Premier League games in his first 5 1/2 seasons with the gooners

won't mention just the 10% of games in the last 4 seasons
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Overchuffed wrote:Andy Carroll has played 110 Premier League games of a possible 220 to date - 50%.
That 3 doesn’t take into consideration how often during those his inclusion in the starting 11 signalled guaranteed dirge football. Whenever he’s had long runs it’s gone that way, under Slav & Sam there were times his name appearing on the match programme brought a palpable actual groan. Despite any and all the stats.

TOMOS - you’re lucky you live so far mate when it’s come to the rose tinteds towards Wor Andy - not all his fault - he’s an easy target & therefore PERFECT for premiership managers desperate for points