Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Patito »

MD_HM wrote: He isn’t better than Hernandez, Carroll or Sakho... our marker should be finding better players than we have or have had recently.

He is better than them by default due to the fact he can actually string a season's worth of appearances together.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

This is why we need a proper scouting network and an experienced director of football. Otherwise the pool is very limited. Buying recognised Premier League players also attracts a premium whether it is deserved or not. That premium may not always transpire in the transfer fee but can be attributed to Premier League wages. We are paying top wages for some very average players already as evidence.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

ryanrc wrote:Rodriguez just popped up with a goal. I've honestly been really impressed with him the last few weeks and think he'd fit in well here. If it wasn't for his injury record I think he'd be a really good signing and a player that gives it his all.

Foster and Dawson the only other players worth looking at from that team IMO.
I really don't get the fascination with Rondon I think he offers very very little.
I agree about Rodriguez , he looked lively and very useful yesterday - Foster also had an excellent game saving well from Lukaku more than once . I'm also in agreement about Rondon , he's very inconsistent /

Where I disagree is on the number of West Brom players who might benefit us -

Johnny Evans - Allan Nyom - Matt Phillips - Nacer Chadli have all impressed me at one time or another and James McClean put in some quality crosses from the left yesterday .

I like Phillips a lot , a hard working right sided midfielder / winger who helps out in defence - could be transformed into a RWB perhaps ?
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I would stay clear of the WBA squad. We moan about our players but they have been a different level of awful. Matt Phillips has been accused of not getting stuck in and bottling tackles all season.

WBA having one good game doesn't suddenly mean they are a half decent side.

As iLoveLasagne said all these relegated players come at a premium just because they have played in the Premier League.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Surely the premium is nullified if the team went down
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

You would think so, but unfortunately they usually still cost quite a bit and expect a decent premiership wage.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:Surely the premium is nullified if the team went down
The trouble is there'll be plenty of demand from clubs at around or about our level for any decent pickings. I'm sure ours won't be the only offer.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

If we went down it no doubt would but other clubs seem to be able to get top dollar for their relegated stars.

I wouldn't go near Philips, Nyom, McLean, Rondon and probably not Foster either. Dawson maybe, same for Evans, I have been impressed with Rodriguez though, he goes for it and dies very little wrong. Chadli could be quite handy too.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

If we went down it no doubt would but other clubs seem to be able to get top dollar for their relegated stars.

I wouldn't go near Philips, Nyom, McLean, Rondon and probably not Foster either. Dawson maybe, same for Evans, I have been impressed with Rodriguez though, he goes for it and dies very little wrong. Chadli could be quite handy too.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Only when we get relegated it seems!

TBH it depends on the player contract. Some like Evans will have release clauses some will be on big money so the relegated club will want to shift them due to FFP and the younger players the club probably wants to keep. All factors which govern price but you can’t assume all will be bargains.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

I like Rodriguez but his injury record and our record with injured players would suggest it is not a good move!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I expect if Southampton stay up, Rodriguez will end up back there
Otherwise he could be tempted by going back to Burnley
Patito

Post by Patito »

The home page has us linked with Plea from Nice (fill your boots)

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is absolute mustard and the quoted price of 25 million euros is a steal for someone of his ilk.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Patito wrote:He is absolute mustard and the quoted price of 25 million euros is a steal for someone of his ilk.
Agreed, which is why we won't be signing him.
Patito

Post by Patito »

You had to bring reality up in here didn't you?
djoe

Post by djoe »

Ruben Lofus-Cheek would be a good signing for our midfield.
Big strong guy with good feet, young, English. Would be a decent upgrade on Kouyate
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

djoe wrote:Ruben Lofus-Cheek would be a good signing for our midfield.
Big strong guy with good feet, young, English. Would be a decent upgrade on Kouyate
trouble is chelsea would ask about £30m for him, and there would be teams who would pay it

it is the sort of player I would like us to sign, but no way we will pay that much
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Loftus-Cheek is over hyped to hell, he is half decent but no one would bat an eye lid at him if he wasn't English, I don't think he even starts for Palace if Benteke was the Benteke at Villa. As your midfield three is Cabeye Milevjic(I really rate) McArthur, then Townsend or the Dane, Benteke and Zaha.

To be honest out of the current bottom three I would take Lemina, Romeu, Evans maybe and that would be it, there is a reason them sides are there.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

djoe wrote:Ruben Lofus-Cheek would be a good signing for our midfield.
His nan would be an upgrade on Kouyate
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

iLoveLasagne wrote:This is why we need a proper scouting network and an experienced director of football.
A proper DoF would also exercise real caution with defenders who look good in a team that constantly play 9 behind the ball, because we don't and they won't be afforded that comfort blanket here.

They'd also make allowances for attackers and creative players constrained by ultra defensive management.

It's like imagining that someone who looks great playing for Juventus or Real Madrid will enjoy the same success playing for West Ham.

Players have to fit the formation, style and ethos - and what works at one club, doesn't always work at another.