West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (16/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Re: West Ham United v Stoke City: Match Thread

Post by MD_HM »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thought we played well and I enjoyed watching it.

I personally don't think we were negative at all.

We definitely had our fair share of attacking play too.
Wow.... just wow

That until the subs we were absolute defensive dogshit

Arnautovic was isolated on his own just as he was against Chelsea

Until they scored, it was a borefest... then dinosaur Dave hits the panic button and it got a bit more interesting
Matt

Post by Matt »

Anyone know what the big row was in section 248ish early in the second half, redheaded female going ballistic, stewards (eventually) involved, and looked like several people were led out (though not her)?
hatori

Post by hatori »

Wow.... just wow

That until the subs we were absolute defensive dogshit

Arnautovic was isolated on his own just as he was against Chelsea

Until they scored, it was a borefest... then dinosaur Dave hits the panic button and it got a bit more interesting
Agree with burnley... first half was tough because it was so fast paced but second half we attacked well. Problem was we had the wrong personnel.

Moyes gets a pass because other than hernandez players were coming back from injuries but now he has great options he has to use them.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Too much gnashing going on here. We are knew the the bottom 3 were in dire straits and they will be up for it this weekend, so a point here keeps us ticking over and increases the gap to 7 points(we also have a goal difference advantage on all those below us).

As far as I'm concern, the one game this weekend that has royally screwed us has to be Newcastle winning. That lost by Arsenal might just motivate their second stringers for next weekend when they would have all the excuses in the world to play poorly - with an eye to their all important clash with Alt. Madrid. It's a shame that Aubameyang is ineligible for the Europa League as we could do with one fewer threat next week.
Last edited by traxop on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Hopefully Hart has finally ripped up his plane ticket for the World Cup, woeful keeping yet again, Zabaleta also to blame for the goal and shouldn't be here next season.

Fernandes brings nothing to the the table whatsoever.

Arnie looked like he was trying too hard, thought that Nobes had a decent game, Mario looks like there is a player in there somewhere, but not worth the outlay if the quoted price is accurate.

Love Rice to pieces, looks a proper West Ham player.

Moyes too defensive and too slow with his subs for the umpteenth time.

Looks like we'll stagger over the safety line, but prospects for next season look bleak, as we have so few decent players on which too build
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Played ok mainly. Don’t buy that we were negative in any way, especially in the second half. A bit more quality from Mario, someone who can take a free kick, and Arnie having a slightly better game would’ve seen us win that. Hart can f*** off for good. Last week has been forgotten.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Far too much negativity on here. Personally I was entertained. I thought both sides were up for it and Stoke defended pretty well. Up until his gaff I even thought Hart was having a good game. Overall we deserved to win. I didnt think anyone played poorly and Rice, Ogbonna, Noble, Arnoutavic and Mario played exceptional. Well done big Andy, really pleased for him (and us).
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Getting really bored of people saying moyes is negative when we had the ball in the net 4 times and other chances. Earlier this season we weren't even getting one chance in some matches. I'm disappointed we didn't win & maybe the subs could have come on earlier but we're now unbeaten in 3 matches & we're playing some nice football at times . There's plenty of room for improvement but i cant believe some of the negativity on here from unrealistic fans.
Gazzaloz
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Gazzaloz »

I’ve been an advocate of Moyes because of the wok rate he has introduced but I have to say he went down in my estimation tonight.
To play at home to the side second from bottom with just one up front seemed like handing over the initiative. The only time we were a threat at Chelsea was when Chico came on to give their defence an additional problem. Tonight with Arnie so isolated up front we were reliant on midfielders getting forward to support him but they just didn’t have the legs. Even at 65 minutes with us struggling to threaten them Moyes sat on his hands.
Then they score and suddenly we have strikers galore on the pitch and what do you know? We start creating real chances and we’re unlucky not to win it.
I thought Moyes’ team selection showed a lack of courage or belief in his players. Who ever thought we’d see the day when we were labouring 0-0 at home to Stoke with a player like Hernandez stuck on the bench? Is Moyes stupid or stubborn?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

kitthehammer wrote:Getting really bored of people saying moyes is negative when we had the ball in the net 4 times and other chances.
Weren’t three of those times after he actually put a striker on the pitch?
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Strong bench we had tonight, shame it took us so long to use it. Still got five out injured.
Someone on the transfer thread said we need eleven first team contenders, I'm calling that statement bollox.
Declan Rice is a thoroughbred.
Andy Carroll is not a donkey.
Crouch is a giraffe on stilts.
Shaquri is a bollard.
Stick with Moyes and we will not get relegated unfortunately he will not add to our trophy cabinet.
I've drunk too much Woods rum.
Goodnight.
Last edited by only1post on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Weren’t three of those times after he actually put a striker on the pitch?
tbf, no
The two disallowed offside 'goals' were before we made the subs
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Fair dos. Had a lot to drink and was racking my brain trying to confirm what I was saying!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I quite enjoyed that - more than anything nicking 2 points from that lot and more or less sending them down.

I hate Stoke. A **** town in nowhere, with **** drivers and being famous for ****ing nobby china. For years they've perfected the art of percentage grimness and to see a big lump come off the bench and give it back to their big lump off the bench was lovely.

And their crap ground is next to an incinerator.

Bye :scarfer:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

only1post wrote:Strong bench we had tonight, shame it took us so long to use it. Still got five out injured.
Someone on the transfer thread said we need eleven first team contenders, I'm calling that statement bollox.
Declan Rice is a thoroughbred.
Andy Carroll is not a donkey.
Crouch is a giraffe on stilts.
Shaquri is a bollard.
Stick with Moyes and we will not get relegated unfortunately he will not add to our trophy cabinet.
I've drunk too much Woods rum.
Goodnight.
Best summary of the game, there's a job for you in journalism, keep it up..........keep drinking!
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Huth :scarfer:
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Adam :scarfer:
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Pullis :scarfer:
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Kamara :scarfer:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

No issue with the way we lined up and approached the game but just can't get my head around why it takes Moyes so long to roll the dice.

Had we thrown Carroll and Hernandez at the game for at least half an hour I have no doubt we'd have won it.

Learnt nothing from the Burnley defeat and we're very lucky to have kept Stoke at arms length in the table.