Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:trouble is chelsea would ask about £30m for him,
...and we've earmarked that for Danny Drinkwater..... Image
ric92

Post by ric92 »

fmgod wrote:Loftus-Cheek is over hyped to hell, he is half decent but no one would bat an eye lid at him if he wasn't English, I don't think he even starts for Palace if Benteke was the Benteke at Villa. As your midfield three is Cabeye Milevjic(I really rate) McArthur, then Townsend or the Dane, Benteke and Zaha.

To be honest out of the current bottom three I would take Lemina, Romeu, Evans maybe and that would be it, there is a reason them sides are there.
Surely you wouldn’t turn down Butland and Shaqiri? Both have the potential to improve our starting 11. Evans, Romeu, Cedric Soares and maybe Ward Prowse would add something too imo. Not a fan of Lemina from what I’ve seen.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

ric92 wrote: Surely you wouldn’t turn down Butland and Shaqiri? Both have the potential to improve our starting 11. Evans, Romeu, Cedric Soares and maybe Ward Prowse would add something too imo. Not a fan of Lemina from what I’ve seen.
I think Butland is pretty average, same level as Adrian, Hart has a much higher ceilling(okay been poor last two years)
Shaqiri I can't stand, loves a dive, massively over hype name, who has constantly fallen down the ladder after every move for a reason
Evans yeah but that's only short term really
Romeu yeah
Cedric was sunday league against us
Ward Prowse doesn't even start for that diabolical Southampton team
Lemina is a quality footballer, would look far better in a working team
The Green Man
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

Wrong thread
ric92

Post by ric92 »

fmgod wrote:
I think Butland is pretty average, same level as Adrian, Hart has a much higher ceilling(okay been poor last two years)
Shaqiri I can't stand, loves a dive, massively over hype name, who has constantly fallen down the ladder after every move for a reason
Evans yeah but that's only short term really
Romeu yeah
Cedric was sunday league against us
Ward Prowse doesn't even start for that diabolical Southampton team
Lemina is a quality footballer, would look far better in a working team
Butland is a solid mid table keeper, on half the money of Hart and with Adrian not fancied by Moyes I think could be on his way out. Has potential to improve too given his age.

Shaqiri has 6/7 assists and goals this season. Not bad when he usually has Crouch and Diouf ahead of him. Potential Lanzini replacement should he go.

Evans for a few million would tied us over whilst Rice becomes the top quality centre back he is threatening to become.

Ward Prowse mainly for his potential and Cédric has been ever present in a previously very solid Southampton defence.

I think Lemina is a good player and v jealous when Southampton brought him but doesn’t look like he has adapted to the league. Would probably still command a high fee and thus too much of a risk given our meagre budget!

Footballs all about the opinions hey :wink:
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

bubbles1966 wrote:
A proper DoF would also exercise real caution with defenders who look good in a team that constantly play 9 behind the ball, because we don't and they won't be afforded that comfort blanket here.

They'd also make allowances for attackers and creative players constrained by ultra defensive management.

It's like imagining that someone who looks great playing for Juventus or Real Madrid will enjoy the same success playing for West Ham.

Players have to fit the formation, style and ethos - and what works at one club, doesn't always work at another.

This highlights the second largest failure of our transfer policy of the last decade. The biggest failure is a complete detachment from the reality that is the amount of investment required, but unbalanced, uneducated signings is only very slight second.
We DESPERATELY need a goalkeeper, a defensive midfielder and a right back who are much better than what we currently have. A proper DOF would realize, prioritize and deliver these, at the very least.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: A proper DoF would also exercise real caution with defenders who look good in a team that constantly play 9 behind the ball, because we don't and they won't be afforded that comfort blanket here.

They'd also make allowances for attackers and creative players constrained by ultra defensive management.

It's like imagining that someone who looks great playing for Juventus or Real Madrid will enjoy the same success playing for West Ham.

Players have to fit the formation, style and ethos - and what works at one club, doesn't always work at another.
Exactly this.
However, we are not the only club guilty of this. Look at Everton buying Michael Keane for £30m simply because he was the main player in Burnley''s miserly defence. It is lazy scouting in the extreme and why players at certain clubs i.e Southampton defenders, dont look half as good when they move elsewhere.
The skill is identifying good/ suitable players, even if they may not be doing well at a particular club
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Looking at Stoke last night, I was very impressed with Butland but really not fussed about Shaqiri or Allen.

Moritz Bauer really caught the eye though!

I'd have had Arnautovic tapping him up in the bar if it was me!
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Ditto on Bauer. I like Zab but he has been responsible for so many goals this season and is definitely the weak link, would be happy for us to upgrade with Bauer. Having watched Fredericks against Leeds I really don't think he's the answer, don't think he's up to scratch but Pearce was saying on SSN the other day that they're more concerned with a full backs ability to get forward and cross the ball.

I know he divides opinions but for me Mario is class, he just needs better players around him in the middle. We desperately need an Idrissa Gueye/N'Golo Kante type this summer and maybe one other to play with him.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Bauer and Badou Ndiaye looked half decent for them last night I thought.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

that Crouch chappy that came on could do a job for us but not impressed by the rest of the Stokies; no to Shaq, no to Allen and cant see the love for Bauer myself. That Indi lump at the back was their most impressive player last night tbh. If Diouf had a brain he'd be a player.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

we need a young right back , that bauer fits the bill perfectly , looked a good player to me

ps: us buying arnautovic this season seems to have consigned Stoke to relegation , lets make sure we keep
Arnie & hopefully Lanzini , although i expect one of those to force a transfer this summer window
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I've never really seen the enthusiasm for Allen. Tidy player, probably useful in a good team but not a dynamic force in midfield. Poor man's Mark Noble. Didn't do anything to change my opinion (Allen not Noble who was excellent)
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Patito wrote:Badou Ndiaye looked half decent for them last night
I just want him here so we can make a chant for him to the tune of Live & Let Die... :scarfer:
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

I was impressed with Kurt Zouma last night, playing Right-Side of their back 3. Arthur got no change out of him at all.

Only has 1 year left @ Chelsea when he returns from his Stoke loan, so shouldn't cost the earth. Still only 23 years old.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

WestHamIFC wrote:I was impressed with Kurt Zouma last night, playing Right-Side of their back 3. Arthur got no change out of him at all.

Only has 1 year left @ Chelsea when he returns from his Stoke loan, so shouldn't cost the earth. Still only 23 years old.

What were Chelsea thinking when they loaned him out this season, I would say he would be there best defender if he were still there.
BrownFatwa

Post by BrownFatwa »

^^^^^^^
that would be the Zouma who has shored up the worst defence in the division alongside such lightweight, inexperienced colleagues as Shawcross and Indy.
i think not.
Patito

Post by Patito »

WestHamIFC wrote:
I just want him here so we can make a chant for him to the tune of Live & Let Die... :scarfer:

Anyone who wasn't previously sold on him will be now
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

BrownFatwa wrote:^^^^^^^
that would be the Zouma who has shored up the worst defence in the division alongside such lightweight, inexperienced colleagues as Shawcross and Indy.
i think not.
Would Cahill, Rudiger or Christensen have done any better in that Stoke team?
BrownFatwa

Post by BrownFatwa »

somerset-hammer wrote:
Would Cahill, Rudiger or Christensen have done any better in that Stoke team?
with those odds of 3 to 1 i'd safely say Yes.