West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (16/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: West Ham United v Stoke City: Match Thread

Post by Vic_Watson »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Stoke City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132389
Was cozmick's contribution really necessary?
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

4 Things for me from last night

1 There cant be a "better" team in the 92 than us for giving away possession

2 Michael Oliver HAD to see the Sumo wrestling on Andy Carroll yeah ?

3 How poor was Shaquiri ?

4 We cannot keep finishing the game with our best Eleven ... ie Fernandes gets sold to Newport or someone
marktea

Post by marktea »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Funny how so many on here are complaining about how negative we were, and yet from a Stoke fans point of view above:

'Why did we bang it away every time we won the ball back and allow West Ham wave after wave of attack?'

I personally think many are being far too critical of the performance. And Arthur... yes his crossing was poor yesterday, but overall I didn't think he was that terrible. Got the ball forward often, and passed it well.
I agree. The game was a tough watch because of the tension and the frustration of playing a dour time-wasting opposition that fouled regularly to break up play - a tactic that the ref just let go in the main. We also had the disallowed goals and just could not get the breakthrough.

On reflection though, there was a lot of good stuff mixed in with all the frustrations. Up to Stoke's goal we were the only team looking like winning and, although never getting close to our best, still looked too good for Stoke who were, remember, playing for their lives. And then we managed to get the point which looked gone after Hart's error. Don't underestimate that: we didn't fold like against Burnley, we kept playing and got the minimum we deserved.

So a tough watch and nowhere near our best, but by no means a disaster either and we can take something from that.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Vic_Watson wrote:Was cozmick's contribution really necessary?
You must be new to the OV.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Jay-Dee wrote:To be fair I think Hart had a very good game until the goal. The mistake almost cost us the game, but in general he's far better than Adrian. Prepared to give him another chance. Confidence isn't totally rebuilt in a couple of games. He will get even better.
He didn't have much to do. I don't understand why you think Hart's problem is confidence. Him regularly making big errors isn't a new thing. His issue is that he isn't a very good goalkeeper.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

EvilC wrote:
He didn't have much to do. I don't understand why you think Hart's problem is confidence. Him regularly making big errors isn't a new thing. His issue is that he isn't a very good goalkeeper.

Where would United be if they had him instead of De Gea? 10th?
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Up the Junction wrote:You must be new to the OV.
Why have a swear blocker on here and allow pointless filthy language on there? A straight (non-clever) answer will do, thank you.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Jay-Dee wrote:To be fair I think Hart had a very good game until the goal. The mistake almost cost us the game, but in general he's far better than Adrian. Prepared to give him another chance. Confidence isn't totally rebuilt in a couple of games. He will get even better.
He has 4 games left he can actually play in this season and has probably had about a handful of decent games for us tops. There is no way we should consider buying him in the summer, he's not going to recover his form from 5 years ago.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

So Chico subs the hapless Fernandez last week and scores and is totally fired up. Got a great idea, leave him on the bench and start Fernandez again.

The obvious set up was Arnie left, Chico centre, Mario right with Arthur & Zab running the side lines.

What is it with Moyes & Hernandez?!?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Vic_Watson wrote: Why have a swear blocker on here and allow pointless filthy language on there? A straight (non-clever) answer will do, thank you.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

JLCABA wrote: 1 There cant be a "better" team in the 92 than us for giving away possession
We are the team that keeps on giving..

2 Michael Oliver HAD to see the Sumo wrestling on Andy Carroll yeah ?
Was a strange one.

3 How poor was Shaquiri ?
Imagine if he could run further than 3 yards at a time? We might well have lost.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Hamburger wrote:.
So Chico subs the hapless Fernandez last week and scores and is totally fired up. Got a great idea, leave him on the bench and start Fernandez again.

The obvious set up was Arnie left, Chico centre, Mario right with Arthur & Zab running the side lines.

What is it with Moyes & Hernandez?!?
Fernandes scores this week (disallowed admittedly.), all Hernandez did when he came on was dive, take a heavy touch when the counter attack was on, and then score a goal that was disallowed also.

So a like for like substitution.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Marky wrote:Mario really isnt that good and neither is Fernandes. One good game in 6 for both?
I think Mario is improving as he gets used to the Premiership. He us not worth the transfer money yet, but it would be nice to think he keeps on improving and warrants that fee. As for Fernandes? I think he has potential and is still very young. Played ok last night and but for Arnie would have been a hero.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

mattyD wrote:With our run-in it was a potentially season defining game and about as must win as it gets. We played it like a friendly and the away team and let Stoke get into the game. No-one actually seemed to give a ****.
I disagree with all of that.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Just had a text from a mate, saying an 18 year old hammer was stabbed to death on the way home from the game last night? I'm hoping it isn't true, has anyone heard this?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Reading back quite a few pages (and some of the other threads), I honestly feel some people's perspectives are clouded by a preconceived and fixed view that Moyes is an incredibly boring, outdated and overly defensive manager.

Similarly, a few others seem convinced that we should be easily smashing sides like Stoke.

Personally speaking, I was very disappointed that Moyes didn't bring on Hernandez (or Lanzini or AC) sooner than the 75th minute, and the line-up was definitely weighted safety first than going for it.

However, I thought it was an entertaining 2nd half. We were far the superior side, going behind only to a rare Stoke attack and a terrible blunder from Hart, who must surely be finished now.

I thought Noble's distribution was outstanding, Cresswell had his best game of the season, and Rice has all the potential to mature into a superstar. He looks class.

Bearing in mind also that if Stoke lost this match, they would almost certainly be going down. On that note, this was never going to be as easy or as straightforward a game as some would like to think. Disappointed with the result, but I think overall the performance was decent.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Vic_Watson wrote: Why have a swear blocker on here and allow pointless filthy language on there? A straight (non-clever) answer will do, thank you.
I was reading the opps view and did have the same thought FWIW.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

somerset-hammer wrote:Just had a text from a mate, saying an 18 year old hammer was stabbed to death on the way home from the game last night? I'm hoping it isn't true, has anyone heard this?
Yes sadly it does look like it's true, a mate of his put out a tweet on twitter confirming that he died on the way home last night in Forest gate and asked for the club to remember him next home game. Another tragic waste of life. RIP to the poor lad. Must be heartbreaking for his family.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

****ing hell.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Vic_Watson wrote:Why have a swear blocker on here and allow pointless filthy language on there? A straight (non-clever) answer will do, thank you.
Because it's not our source material, which is quoted verbatim. (As stated in each and every OV).

It's simple really, Vic - if you find it offensive, then don't read it. :thup:

FWIW the OV, in its current format, is one of KUMB's most popular editorial features.