Formula 1 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Re: Formula 1 2018

Post by Bend it like Repka »

White Goodman wrote:Hamilton this season showing how average he can be when his team aren't miles ahead of everyone else.
That's a bold statement.
White Goodman wrote:For a multiple world champion he isn't particularly strong mentally to my mind. All ok when things are going well but pretty fragile when facing adversity .
I'll grant you that is true for the China GP, but given the amount of times he pulled out big results when his Merc was having issues while Rosberg's ran without a glitch I'd say that was nonsense.
White Goodman wrote:I think Vettel will crush him by a big margin.
I think Vettel might well win this year as the Ferrari looks consistent across all tracks. The Merc seems a bit of a diva again and with Red Bull in the mix points lost will be bigger this year.

However the biggest reason is that Ferrari all revolves around Vettel, whereas Red Bull and Merc let their drivers fight. Having a complaint number like Kimi gives the German a huge advantage.

Personally that is why I hate Ferrari and hope they once again win nothing this year. What they did to Kimi in China was a disgrace.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Have to agree there, the way Ferrari does things shouldn't be allowed as it gives them a huge advantage.

I guess there are worse things to be in the world ( as technically you are still a Ferrari F1 driver, albeit one that has no chance of winning the title)but being Sebastian Vettel's bitch is not a role I'd want , certainly not if I was a former World Champ.
LittleChris
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by LittleChris »

Be interesting if Danny Ric ends up partnering Seb at the Scuderia next year.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... nd-ferrari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Even before I read the article I thought to myself there no way he'll go there as a rolling road block to protect Vettel, he'll want parity. He and Vettel taking points off each other can only help Mercedes and even Red Bull.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Thing is , I would have said the same about Raikonnen but he's there toeing the company line.

I'd imagine being Seb's fluffer is deeply rooted in any No2 driver's contract, so I'd guess Ricciardo will end up somewhere else or just do as he's told.
Bend it like Repka

White Goodman wrote: I guess there are worse things to be in the world ( as technically you are still a Ferrari F1 driver, albeit one that has no chance of winning the title)but being Sebastian Vettel's bitch is not a role I'd want , certainly not if I was a former World Champ.
Kimi has this reputation as a bit of a dude, but he has gone down massively in my estimation for allowing himself to be shafted like this. He may argue that he is earning millions and he is still in a competitive car but as you say, he is a former WC and deserves better than what happened in China.

I always felt Schumi's star was dimmed by Ferrari's antics. Nothing wrong with team orders in that later part of the season but having drivers pull over from race 1 is wrong.

And Ricciardo will never go there unless he got parity.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

The thing is , Vettel is an immense driver.

I think that sometimes gets lost amongst the team orders, petulant behaviour (they are all capable of that).

I'm not saying it wouldn't be close , there's a hair's breadth between them but for me he's a more complete driver than Hamilton.

Talking of top drivers, I was watching the McLaren 4 parter on Amazon Prime last night and looking at Alonso with his 2 championships from his 17 seasons.

He has to take some of the blame for that massive underachievement
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I would disagree about vettel being a more complete driver than Hamilton. Vettel has never won a title without Adrian newey and certainly never managed one without the 'blown floor' that neweys genius created and maximised so well.

Hamilton has had far stronger team-mates than vettel has ever had yet beat them all (including world champs alonso, button & rosberg). Vettel has had solid citizens like webber or on-the-wane superstars like raikkonen. The only time he faced a top driver was 2014, when he had Ricciardo in the same team and Danny, frankly, blew his bloody doors off.

There is a widely held view in F1 that vettel is a very, very good driver but not one of the greats.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I'm not sure I've seen a better driver when it's raining that Lewis, and I remain convinced that is the ultimate mark of a top F1 driver. Didnt watch enough of Senna to know if he was better.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^^ try to find a video of Senna at the Donnington GP. Soaking wet, he just glided past the others like they weren't even there.
Bend it like Repka

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^^ try to find a video of Senna at the Donnington GP. Soaking wet, he just glided past the others like they weren't even there.
Two of whom were Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher, no mugs in the wet. While other drivers feel their way into a wet race, find where the grip is, he was on it from the first corner.

I've just read Damon Hills book, his discussion on how Senna was driving at Imola (what he was managing to do with the car) right up until he died is fascinating.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Hi there, i’ve always been a fan of F1 but i must admit it’s a bit of a hard sell even to me these days. What basic fundamental changes should take place to make it a) more competitive b) more fan friendly?
Something has to happen, no matter what merc and ferrari say !
Bend it like Repka

Rays Rock wrote:Hi there, i’ve always been a fan of F1 but i must admit it’s a bit of a hard sell even to me these days. What basic fundamental changes should take place to make it a) more competitive b) more fan friendly?
Something has to happen, no matter what merc and ferrari say !
After the last 2 races, not much!

If things continue with 3 teams battling for wins, we are in for a cracker this year.

The problem for F1 is when 1 car is dominant, and that usually arises after major rule changes. We are now in a period of stability hence the closing up.

A lot of people talk about more overtaking and closer battles in F1, but the reality is that doesn't ahppen in many years, and in many forms of Motorsport you get dominant teams. Even BTTC has stronger teams, it is only the effects of weight ballast and reverse grids that make racing closer.

I view F1 as the pinnacle of both driver and machinery. Spain last year was a brilliant race between Lewis and Vettel, they were rarely close together on the track, only 1 pass, due to different strategies. However watching and listening to 2 guys pushing every lap to the absolute maximum was superb.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

I’m just basing on a personal experience of rarely enjoying watching it these days.
I don’t feel it’s healthy that the teams with the 3 largest budgets are the only realistic contenders.
Not only that, but Ferrari especially seem to have a hold over the way that they want things to be run, Merc seem to be guilty of this now.

I would like to see some form of budget capping and more independents involved with more of a fair chance.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Rays Rock wrote:I would like to see some form of budget capping and more independents involved with more of a fair chance.
You're going to have to look elsewhere, then. No way will the big boys ever agree to give up their hegemony.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

DasNutNock wrote:I'm not sure I've seen a better driver when it's raining that Lewis, and I remain convinced that is the ultimate mark of a top F1 driver. Didnt watch enough of Senna to know if he was better.
Kevin Schwantz (albeit with a couple less wheels). That aside I agree entirely.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

DasNutNock wrote:You're going to have to look elsewhere, then. No way will the big boys ever agree to give up their hegemony.
That is the problem, people are and have switched off in quite large number around the globe, and i kind of have started to do the same. I certainly would never buy Sky's F1 offering.
I'm sure it is and always has been quite an insular and kind of bubble of a sporting community. but at the current rate we'll end up having a championship contested by merely 2 teams.
Constructor Champions / Decade
60's = 6
70's = 4
80's = 3
90's = 4
00's = 3
10's = 2 (So Far)

Ferrari and Merc will undoubtedly oppose any re-structure that will harm their influence or clout and threaten to form their own championship. I would be tempted to call their bluff on this and tell them to get on with it, as it's clear that a championship contested really by 2 teams is what is driving it's interest and popularity down, and effectively their own breakaway championship would just be a continuation of this trend.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Vettel on pole in Baku. Hamilton looking happier than in recent races.

Could be a corker tomorrow. Here's hoping.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

If pratice and qualifying are anything to go by, there'll be plenty of yellow flags and more than a couple of safety cars tomorrow. Track position is everything.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

At last, some good fortune comes Hamilton's way, well overdue. Tough luck on Bottas and understandably Lewis was muted with his celebration knowing that his team mate lucked out. As for Vettel, tough luck, should have just coasted home to second place and would have extended lead over Hamilton rather than end up 4 points behind, silly boy.
Might be just the bit of luck to kick start Hamilton's season.