what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by WHU Independent »

The Montague Pyke (used to be the Marquee) Charring Cross Road W1

A trip down Memory Lane for me, as I can remember all the bands I used to see at there aeons ago. The pub still tips it's hat to the venues past, with loads of memorabilia on the walls and it still has a bit of atmosphere. The Bar staff were very efficient, especially as it was banged out and particularly rammed at the bar. The selection of beers was decent too, but my Guinness was pretty poor - watery and thin, like it had been watered down. My mates ale was "enjoyable" and the others Grey Goose and coke was "good." 6/10

The Big Red, Holloway Road.

I like this place. Free in, free music, reasonable priced drinks, lovely bar staff and a decent atmosphere. The bands I saw were common a garden standard rock, but one band had a singer that could have given Ronnie James Dio a run for his money. He was immense and I think if Mr Blackmore heard him, he would give him a try out. Easy to get home from too with Holloway Tube being open 24 hours at the weekend and only 200 meters down the road.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

WHU Independent wrote:The Montague Pyke (used to be the Marquee) Charring Cross Road W1

A trip down Memory Lane for me, as I can remember all the bands I used to see at there aeons ago. The pub still tips it's hat to the venues past, with loads of memorabilia on the walls and it still has a bit of atmosphere. The Bar staff were very efficient, especially as it was banged out and particularly rammed at the bar. The selection of beers was decent too, but my Guinness was pretty poor - watery and thin, like it had been watered down. My mates ale was "enjoyable" and the others Grey Goose and coke was "good." 6/10

The Big Red, Holloway Road.

I like this place. Free in, free music, reasonable priced drinks, lovely bar staff and a decent atmosphere. The bands I saw were common a garden standard rock, but one band had a singer that could have given Ronnie James Dio a run for his money. He was immense and I think if Mr Blackmore heard him, he would give him a try out. Easy to get home from too with Holloway Tube being open 24 hours at the weekend and only 200 meters down the road.
Two pubs that I really like. The MP is a good pub for meeting up with people as it's pretty central and it's just round the corner from the CroBar which if you're into rock, it's a must visit.

The Big Red is a great pub. I know one of the girls who works in the kitchen and I've stumbled out of here roaring drunk some nights. I'd recommend that you eat in here at some point as they do some really great grub.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

The refurbished Cheshire Cheese by Fenchurch St.

A good selection of beers, even though half of them seemed to be "off". The Shipyard Pale Ale was good. The layout is still crap but plenty of TVs and friendly bar staff.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

The Royal Oak, Wotton-under-Edge
Spent a long weekend at a friend's cottage in this Cotswold town. Decent town pub with a large beer garden that was good for sitting in the sunshine. Selection of cask beers but all from big breweries - had a pint of Rev James (Brains) which I wouldn't have again, so then stuck with Pravha (the 4% version of Staropramen). Bar staff ok - not particularly friendly but efficient. Didn't eat but the food looked really good with a lot of fish specials. Sunday, sat inside to watch our game against Arsenal and got the 3 locals in the bar to cheer for us, although that didn't work out well! What did cheer me up was the roast potatoes that the chef put on the bar after they'd finished serving the Sunday lunches in the restaurant. Cooked in fat from the roast lamb which meant that our dog loved them and he then went hovering up all the bits on the floor from the messy eaters!
8/10 - would have been a 7 without the potatoes.

The Black Horse Inn, North Nibley
Walked to this pub up and down some big hills! Typical Cotswold village pub with mainly tourists in there in the afternoon. Excellent selection of beers and cider. Had a pint of Bob (from the local Wickwar brewery) which was excellent. Would have stayed for a few more but the thought of having to climb the hills to get back put us off. Very friendly staff that insisted the missus tasted the ciders first to see which she liked as they were all very different - I told her to avoid the scrumpy as I wasn't carrying her back. They even had treats for the dog. Definitely one to go back to.
9/10
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Victoria Arms, Ongar Road, Brentwood

The landlord of this establishment has got the message - if Wetherspoons open up 75 yards away, get your act together.

From being the secon most expensive pub in the town to the second cheapest is a hellua switch, but it's worked. He's retained his customers , nicked some from the Rising Sun ( used to be Brain Dears pub), and largely seen off the threat of the soulless hangar on the High St.

Good well stocked bar, excellent "top shelf", clean bogs, and decent grub on a lunchtime. Sport on 3 large tellys, and about 10% dearer than 'Spoons.

7/10, losing 1 mark because the Landlord is still a twat.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

The Coffee House

Situated in Marshall St, round the back of Carnaby St (not sure of the post code).
Its a Brodies pub so the beer is good, as is the food, which is the standard pub fayre these days i.e. beer battered cod and chips with triple cooked chips (why cant they be a little more imaginative?).
Anyway the prices are not bad for the West end, they also show the sport and the bogs are good (apart from twice bumping my head on the way in).

Talking of Brodies, I see they have flogged off the William 4th in Leyton. Shame.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

The Hammers in E6 has become The Red Lion which I understand was the original name. They’ve spent a fortune on it and it’s very nice. You pay the price for a pint but it’s a very smart pub for Newham. Miss London in some ways. I feel I have unfinished business here too.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

What's happened to the King William IV? Such a good range of Brodie's beers in there at very cheap prices too.

Why have they sold it? Are there plans to open up elsewhere?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

mushy wrote:Talking of Brodies, I see they have flogged off the William 4th in Leyton. Shame.
I remember going into a pub in Regent's Street (The Coffee House?) - tried all the Brodie beers in there one night, all were horrible from what I remember. All hoppy IPA types or dark coffee / smokey flavoured ales which weren't nice at all.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

WHU Independent wrote:The Peasant, St John's street, Clerkenwell.

Nice big open airy pub with large tabled and stripped back furniture. Wide range of ales on tap, as well as lagers, bar staff were friendly - apart from the potman who told us that we'd have to move all our rucksacks from chairs in the corner of the pub as the chairs would be used soon, despite the pub being virtually empty - and the Guinness was good.

Not sure about the prices as the beer was bought for me and we moved on. I didn't use the bogs either.

It's a decent enough pub and I'd go back 7.5/10
Not a bad pub,for a gastro effort.
Use to be the George and Dragon.
Ales are always in good condition.
WHU Independent

Been on the Lash this weekend, so a few of the better places to mention:

Signature Brew Brewery, Letyon E10 They had an open day (tix were free) with two bands and a beer launch. I stuck to Roadie at a reasonable £4,00 a pint. Slightly hoppy, but with a wheat beer like flavour, it's a favourite of mine. Two free bands too and a reasonably priced burger bar. The SB peeps are very friendly and approachable and a nice time was had by all, apart from the weather, which was f'kin freezing. Nice tour of the brewery too.

The Widow's Son, Bow E3. They has some live music on, which I always try and support, some Latin jazz/funk Ska fusion band. Not my cup of tea but worth a listen. Ma'Grass they were called, I remember now. Lagunas IPA was about £4.50 a pint and very nice it was too. I stayed a awhile but it was a bit hip for me so I left.

The Beehive Bow E3 I consider this my local. Free live bands (and 3 of them) reasonably prices beer (an IPA I can't remember the name of for £3.60 a pint), top bar staff, loud, lively,raucous and open till 1 am and within staggering distance of my gaff. I'll take that. Also saw a band that blew me away. They are called the Drug Store Beatles and are a two piece with a drum machine in the vein of Suicide and Throbbing Gristle. Raw, emotional,very personal lyrics, threatening and entertaining, i'd travel to see them again. There other bands were Crosswire and The Pit Ponies - decent enough but nothing that stands out. Top Bogs.

The Galvanisers Union, Bow E3 - How can you tell when a pub has changed hands - when the prices go through the roof! The nice people and staff that run this place have left and a new mob have took over and it's back to stupid prices again. I spotted Roadie on tap so I bought two pints of that - £10.80 for two pints. Fuk right off. Even the one beer they have at a reduced price for "locals" has gone up from £2.80 to £3.20. Now wonder it was 90% empty, especial when the Beehive is 100 meters round the corner. Money grabbing bastards. It's now ruined for me and until the prices go down I won't be back. Oh and really **** bogs btw.

The Princess Louise, Holborn Managed by a neighour of mines daughter, this is a proper pub. Decent range of beers, all vegan, reasonable prices (£3.80 a pint of IPA), comfortable, warm, top bogs, my mates had food and love it and a great atmosphere. I'm biased but even if it was run by a stranger it would be a top pub.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Wembley1966 wrote:Had a pint of Bob (from the local Wickwar brewery) which was excellent.

Wickwar do a loyalty card where if you buy six pints you get the 7th free. I like Bob but I prefer Falling Star. A lot of people do not rate Wickwar but I find their beers very much to my tastes.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I remember going into a pub in Regent's Street (The Coffee House?) - tried all the Brodie beers in there one night, all were horrible from what I remember. All hoppy IPA types or dark coffee / smokey flavoured ales which weren't nice at all.
Yeah. Coffee House and Cross Keys on Endell St are something to do with Brodies.

Hats off to Brodies for being an early, small London brewery, but their beers are really odd. A couple of the cask ones are OK, but remember trying a few of the keg ones in the Coffee House and some of them were horrible. As in undrinkable. And i'll drink Blue WKD at a push.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

My local was in TimeOut this morning.

Not that you should heed TimeOut's advice, but nice to see a proper pub get some publicity.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WHU Independent wrote:Been on the Lash this weekend, so a few of the better places to mention:

The Beehive Bow E3 I consider this my local. Free live bands (and 3 of them) reasonably prices beer (an IPA I can't remember the name of for £3.60 a pint), top bar staff, loud, lively,raucous and open till 1 am and within staggering distance of my gaff. I'll take that. Also saw a band that blew me away. They are called the Drug Store Beatles and are a two piece with a drum machine in the vein of Suicide and Throbbing Gristle. Raw, emotional,very personal lyrics, threatening and entertaining, i'd travel to see them again. There other bands were Crosswire and The Pit Ponies - decent enough but nothing that stands out. Top Bogs.
Ha, two of my mates are in Cross Wires :D
LincolnshireHammer

WHU Independent wrote:The Princess Louise, Holborn Managed by a neighour of mines daughter, this is a proper pub. Decent range of beers, all vegan, reasonable prices (£3.80 a pint of IPA), comfortable, warm, top bogs, my mates had food and love it and a great atmosphere. I'm biased but even if it was run by a stranger it would be a top pub.
An IPA in a Sam Smiths pub?!?!
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

As ever top class reviews from Mr Independent -and everyone else for that matter.

Am sat here puzzling as to how come I have never been in The Beehive in Bow.
I even had to google where it is.
WHU Independent

LincolnshireHammer wrote:An IPA in a Sam Smiths pub?!?!
Yup - it's made one, Can't remember the name, so I'll have to go back and check! Thanks!
WHU Independent

mushy wrote:As ever top class reviews from Mr Independent -and everyone else for that matter.

Am sat here puzzling as to how come I have never been in The Beehive in Bow.
I even had to google where it is.
Thanks Mushy. Go in the Beehive - it's a top pub. For the Love of god, don't go in the Angel of Bow (AKA The Liqueur Inn), it dreadful and VERY expensive!
LincolnshireHammer

WHU Independent wrote:Yup - it's made one, Can't remember the name, so I'll have to go back and check! Thanks!
Do let us know!