Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by fmgod »

Thought that just proved no matter how good you are, even the best in the world etc, time waits for no man, age will catch up with you, even Mayweather against Mcgregor was 1/3 of the fighter he once was
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Thank god it's over, I hope Bellew doesn't continue to dodge any decent boxers, he dodged all the decent cruisers and he's only fought a shot Heavyweight twice.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

fmgod wrote:Thought that just proved no matter how good you are, even the best in the world etc, time waits for no man, age will catch up with you, even Mayweather against Mcgregor was 1/3 of the fighter he once was
There are exceptions, Bernard Hopkins being an obvious one.

I wonder whether David Haye's much publicised "plant based" diet was a hindrance rather than a benefit? His body has let him down.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Watched the fight last night and Haye at no stage looked like a fighter who was confident of victory. He just didn't look up for it.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Bellew calling out Ward and Fury. He'd get absolutely schooled. He hasn't fought a top level opponent in years, and when he did he got KO'd.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Is he aware that Andre Ward is retired? And that Tyson Fury is huge?!!!
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

GGG finishing on Sunday morning is actually scary, most boxers are swinging he is so controlled, every shot landing like precision for 20 second straight, just an outright ruthless assassin, who then wins bows and is pretty calm, just a stone cold killer in a good sport way
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

fmgod wrote:GGG finishing on Sunday morning is actually scary, most boxers are swinging he is so controlled, every shot landing like precision for 20 second straight, just an outright ruthless assassin, who then wins bows and is pretty calm, just a stone cold killer in a good sport way
Absolutely fantastic, a complete mismatch but you can't take anything away from his power and precision. I'm not sure where he goes from here, I'd love to see him and BJS get it on, or Charlo, but there seems little point in him fighting Alvarez as only a KO will bring him victory.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Strong rumors Groves is out of the final due to injuries and it will be Eubank vs Smith instead
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

The final is a couple of months away though, July isn’t it?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

fmgod wrote:Strong rumors Groves is out of the final due to injuries and it will be Eubank vs Smith instead
FFS.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I'm not sure I could see that happening

I suspect the Sauerlands are too wise to discredit the tournament by doing that. The final of the tournament with no World Title involved would be a joke
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

They've just released the first of the next round of fighters in the WBSS. This time at bantamweight. The lineup is brilliant WBA, WBO and the IBF belts will be on the line

If they add Inoue into that lineup, aswell as Jamie McDonnell it has the best line up of all the weights so far
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

This is horrifying/amazing.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... d-champion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Mildly interesting on the BBC last night, Joshua and Klitschko meet a year on at Wembley to discuss the fight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... to-wembley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Hughie Fury knocked Sam Sexton out to win the British heavyweight title. I don’t think we can read too much into that one.
Last edited by York Ham(mer) on Sun May 13, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Cracking fight this, Linares vs. Lomachenko. Loma in the groove from the third but is dropped in the sixth! Linares down in the tenth after a body shot and the referee calls it off. Great fight.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Cracking fight, got in just as it started, the ESPN commentary was unbearable so pro Loma
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Great fight two World Class fighters giving it everything.

Hughie beating Sexton was no surprise, I'm not sure where he goes from here, he's not going to defend the belt against Joyce and has said he wants to go after title eliminators, I think he'd be better off getting in shape and fighting at Cruiser but obviously there's more money in the Heavyweight division, if you can get the fights.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Sod being in Leeds tonight, probably going to kick off big time when Lee Selby schools home fighter Warrington for 12 rounds infront of 30k pissed up Leeds fans with the Kaiser Chiefs playing as well, recipe for disaster Even kicked off yesterday.

Boxing Wales have confirmed Lee Selby and his team were attacked following the weigh in today and rumours going around his team bus was smashed up.