West Ham Utd 0-0 Manchester Utd (10/05/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Spongthrush
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by Spongthrush »

I thought we played well, watching MUFC time waste was annoying but overall, as 0-0 draws go, it was OK. I recall taking my missus to a Stoke match at the Boleyn a few years ago which was a 0-0 and that really was awful.

Refs get a hard time, I thought Jon Moss had a good match overall, tricky to explain what I mean but more of the old style overall refereeing of the whole match rather than dissecting every single incident for consistency across the every match in every league. If you dissect each decision or just watch MOTD highlights, then you end up with

Noble vs Pogba = red card for Noble's reaction, certainly
Smalling vs Arnie = pen, perhaps

Which is what 'should' happen but as a ref and watching the whole match, he did ok, some 'peacock type' refs would have sent off Noble and booked lots more.....makes a change to see a ref using his football brain more than just be a robot. And credit to Nobes and Pogba for cuddling and laughing at the end.

Well done to Kouyate for keeping Pogba quiet. Adrian for the save from (Valencia?) which swerved all over the place. Luke Shaw....having watched some of his niggles and then time wasting....I'm sorry that your career is shot but your behaviour was pants.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

There were glimpses there in the second half of how well we might be able to play, when Mario, Lanzini and Arnie combined. If only we could regularly get more of the team up the pitch to support them, as it tended to be the 3 of them getting crowded out by 6 Man Utd defenders.

It was a fairly dull game. but then Man Utd came without a striker and seemed happy with a draw. No wonder their fans are always moaning, they've become too used to fast, flowing attacking football over the years. I don't think I could watch that sort of set up every week.... oh wait....
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

If only Carroll could of got on the end of Arnie's cross.

The link up between them both, was very promising.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I think the ref realised that it was a generally low tempo affair at the end of a season where some players are going to the World Cup and others don't want to be hobbling about on crutches in the Maldives with their holidays booked for three weeks' time.

If the Noble thing happened a month ago, it's a red but the ref called it perfectly in the context of this game and this point in the season.

Some very tidy possession stuff from our boys yesterday, and some nice countering but we lacked a bit at the end. Style-wise, it was a lot more Zola than Allardyce; the ball was on the floor and we were trying to pass it through, rather than play endless long balls and huge numbers of crosses.

Jones and Smalling? The best centre half pairing in the country? Must be close to it.

Man United really were a million miles away from what they were when they played us on the first day, let alone where Ferguson had them.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Can anyone say in their heart of hearts that Man Utd wouldn't have battered us if this wasn't a dead rubber game?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Also felt we played ok. Difficult game to judge as it had a the tempo of a friendly. They had a lot of possession in the first half but I felt we kept them at arms length resulting in them taking the type of long shot that is bread and butter for Adrian.

Second half saw the type of positive substitution that many have been crying out for. two strikers and a back four. It was clear to see why we don't play 4-4-2 regulalry. The loss of midfield body led to our defensive line dropping back to the edge of our box and strugged to get out. If they had of upped the gears this is where we'd have lost the game. Carroll once again displayed that he really is a valuable player when on the pitch and the link up play with Arnautovic was promising. We just couldn't engineer that decisive move/pass.

I thought Mario had a great game, showing some silky skills and link up play with Lanzini and Arnautovic. Masuaku was dominated by Valencia and Masuaku's one footedness was exposed by a defence who had him sussed.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Another point! not the best of games, but Adrian well deserved Man of The Match handling everything, was good to Noble & Pogba make up at the end, at least a referee who showed common sense, proof real money has to be spent at the end of the season, unsure Moyes is the right man to improve us? Hope from Carroll, yes he did not get injured, Arnautovic needs someone with his space not someone trying to get there! Hope we can get a point on Sunday, would be lovely to take the three points, live in hope.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Couple of points I took from last night:

Negatives

Mario bottles a tackle which leaves us under pressure.
Lanzini plays too deep to be effective.
Ogbonna isn't very good
Masuaku isn't a left back

Positives

Carrolls work rate. Have been impressed with him on his comeback
Noble seems to have found his position
Rice just gets better and better
Zabaleta reads the game better than any other player.

Special mention for Arnie who moans about everything and nothing is his fault, Never holds his hand up ever.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i dont think any of us have a problem with caroll , its just he's always knackered 75% of the season

zabaleta had a good game

lanzini was far too deep to do any real damage

thought luke shaw was very good for them , just looks like he's frightened to play for Mourinho/Utd
Ron_Greenwood

Post by Ron_Greenwood »

Good point at the end of the night, the boys did well in general.

Can someone please explain to me Moyes thought process when bringing on Carroll he takes off Masuaku, who is surely the most likely guy on the field who can actually get in the last third of the field and 'try' and deliver a ball to the back stick in a dangerous area for the big man?

Instead Joao Mario is moved to the left wing back position and has to keep coming back on his right foot and doesn't have the explosive pace and trickery to get past the fullback because it's not his position.

Baffling if you ask me and it's not the first time Moyes has done this recently. Keep your natural wide players on if you want to get the best out of Carroll if you ask me.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I think Arfur got the hook because he had a couple of ropey touches at the start of the half and then Valencia (?) got past him far too easily - Moyes also went 4-4-2 and played Carroll and Arnie as a pair.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Ogbonna isn't very good
Masuaku isn't a left back
Think Ogbonna has been consistently decent since Moyes has come in. He did chip a beautiful ball into touch last night but generally gets a lot more right than he gets wrong.

Masuaku...wasn't playing left back :eh:
Ron_Greenwood wrote:Can someone please explain to me Moyes thought process when bringing on Carroll he takes off Masuaku,
I think it was purely down to him having a rotter. Outplayed throughout by Valencia who pegged him back in our own half throughout and on the few occaisions he did get the ball upfield the were consistently turning him onto his right foot. I dunno why he doesn't try smashing a ball with his right foot, his left foot crosses are oftena bit hit and miss.

Very true that we ended up 4-4-2 but with Lanzini and Mario as our wide players..could blame Moyes, but look at the squad what were his options?
Ron_Greenwood

Post by Ron_Greenwood »

bubbles1966 wrote:I think Arfur got the hook because he had a couple of ropey touches at the start of the half and then Valencia (?) got past him far too easily - Moyes also went 4-4-2 and played Carroll and Arnie as a pair.
Even more reason to keep Arthur on if he's playing left wing instead of left wing-back and doesn't have as much defensive responsibility. Yes he did get beaten too easily by Valencia but surely we are thinking about trying to win the game at that point and he is capable of making something happen? Anyway, it's not the end of the world but I do find some of Moyes substitutions very frustrating. Cheers.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Things I took from last night:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Ron_Greenwood wrote:Can someone please explain to me Moyes thought process when bringing on Carroll he takes off Masuaku, who is surely the most likely guy on the field who can actually get in the last third of the field and 'try' and deliver a ball to the back stick in a dangerous area for the big man?
Masuaku was playing gash and offering nothing. Also, he had to take of someone who would enable him to maintain balance in midfield, i.e with Lanzini on the left and Mario on the right. Who would you have taken off instead? It was the logical sub.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B »

Ron_Greenwood wrote:Even more reason to keep Arthur on if he's playing left wing instead of left wing-back and doesn't have as much defensive responsibility.
There's a logic in what you say but Masuaku was having a poor game.

If not masuaku then you'd realistically be taking off Mario who was having a good game or taking off crowd favourite Lanzini who i think would've got the hook next if there'd have been an option on the bench
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Sloop John B wrote:
Think Ogbonna has been consistently decent since Moyes has come in. He did chip a beautiful ball into touch last night but generally gets a lot more right than he gets wrong.

Masuaku...wasn't playing left back :eh:
For me with Ogbonna, it's his lack of anticipation that lets him down. Masuaku was increasingly pressed into a left back role and performed abysmally at it.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Great to see Moyes finally make a change early enough to impact the game, shame he took off our only real outlet and crosser of the ball at the same time though.
Ron_Greenwood

Post by Ron_Greenwood »

sendô wrote:Masuaku was playing gash and offering nothing. Also, he had to take of someone who would enable him to maintain balance in midfield, i.e with Lanzini on the left and Mario on the right. Who would you have taken off instead? It was the logical sub.
I would've taken off Mario as he isn't a natural left winger. Surely Masuaku on the left offers more balance? I agree that it wasn't a good game from Arthur but keeping the team balanced is the key when Carroll come on. He needs left footers on the left and right footers on the right, getting into the last third of the pitch and delivering from there as early as possible. It's not rocket science. Mario was never going to impact the game from the left for Carroll.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I thought Zabaleta was very good last night. A proper professional he is. If only he was five years younger but then if he was he wouldn't be playing for West Ham would he?