Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

CNR

Wait, you want us to NOT count the 2 goals that Lanzini scored on Sunday ?????

Oh then Arnie's goal shouldn't count either ??? Was it or wasn't it a PL game and counts for us in points, and GD ?

You may want to discount his assists to prove your point...

6 by the way..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

No, you're welcome to count the friendly kickabout by all means, but in the same token, take into account Antonio's had about 8 games less during a season interrupted with injury.

I've not discounted his assists, someone else mentioned goals return and I raised the point about it.

You can carry on pretending Antonio has zero end product though.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Colours never run wrote:I agree, I feel Lanzini should be doing more, as indeed Antonio. That doesn't mean they have no end product, which was my point all along regarding Antonio.

To score as many as he has and assist along the way, whilst also having to play on many occasions in defence since he arrived isn't someone who has no end product. Under the right manager coming in, I'd be interested to see how he develops further.
I’d just sell him

Even when he has scored (not that it’s all that matters anyway), I’m of the opinion that we’ve played far better in the last 2 seasons or so without him. He only last about 60 minutes most games too.

Something hasn’t been right there since the moment he undermined Bilic about playing where he wanted to, and Sully backed him.

All those stupid dance routines and official site videos treating him like a god + various stories of him being a proper Billy big balls = I’d sell him.

Only if a club are stupid enough to not see all of the above though and just put a value on him being fast and English

Maybe Citeh will put him on their bench for 20 million
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I don't have a major issue with selling him, as long as we get close to £20m he's worth in today's market. Is it a priority though, ahead of so many other pressing issues needed to sort amongst the squad? It's not near the top of mine.

Do too much change, then we'll be asking for trouble making so many sweeping changes across the board. Revisit it at the end of next season or January would be how I'd go about it.
Last edited by Colours never run on Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Fredericks, Zouma, Carvalho, Wilshere, Mario loan, Maddison, job done. No need to eat into the budget with a GK.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

--------------------------------Adrian
---------Zouma (15-20mil)---Oggy----Rice
Fredericks(free)----Carvalho(25-30mil)---Wilshere(free)----Masuaku
------------------------Lanzini------Maddison(15-20mil)
-----------------------------Arnautovic

Hernandez, Carroll, Reid, Obiang, Noble, Zabaleta, Cresswell, Antonio, Mario(loan), GK, Fernandez plus youngsters.

25 man squad to rotate as needed.

Sell - Kouyate, Byram, Hugill, Snodgrass.

After sales only about 50 million for that lot max, that's nothing for an established prem team
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Antonio = g 3 mp 1358 - goal every 453 minutes 68% p kp 0.7
Lanzini = g 6 mp 2049 - goal every 341 minutes 87% p kp 1.6

Mario = g 2 mp 1575 - goal every 787 minutes BUT added 4 assists - the same in and out season as Antonio in a new league with new teams mates 81% p kp 1.2

Any way you look at it......he ain't all that.......not since (it seems) he made the England squad....

imvho that is...........
Colours never run

You're very hung up on his misgivings this season (without really taking into account his injury record and managerial change), yet skirt conveniently over what he did in the previous 2 season's (1 and a half when he finally got given his chance he grabbed with both hands).

Because if you didn't, you would realise he's been very productive by way of goals scored/assisted/chances created during that time he breakthrough to be an established 1st teamer which deservedly led to numerous England call-ups.

I'll prefer to look at his overall contribution to his time with us, rather than focus on a cluster f*** of a season.

Any way I look at it, he's definitely more than "ain't all that".
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

You cannot compare Lanzini and Antonio they are very different players, Lanzini and Mario are a closer match but even then Mario is more defensively savvy but Lanzini better going forward.

Shame is that Mario is not our player and likely will not be. For me he is the best of the 3, he settled very quickly into the English game at a totally disfunctional club. The vision with his passing was exceptional.

Fact is in the ideal world we would have all 3 happy to be in the squad even if they did not play every game. That would give us great flexibility in formation and tactics. For example I would be more inclined to start one of Lanzini or Mario away and probably not Antonio whereas at home Antonio would be my starting RWB certainly against weaker sides and I would like to see how Mario fared alongside a strong defensive midfielder, pretty much in the Noble role.

Thing is until we appoint a manager we do not know what style he will play and who will be in that managers plans.
Colours never run

I was only comparing the amount of goals they respectively scored. To which Antonio out scored Lanzini in the first 2 seasons and level going in to the final game kickabout under no pressure having played significantly less games.

But no end product...

I am however, more than happy to keep all 3.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

If Benitez comes I would hope he brings Shelvey and Lascelles with him.
I am not thrilled with any of the goalkeepers ex has named, they will cost more than they are worth and two of them are 32/33. I would much rather go for one of the goalkeepers playing in the playoff final. Both Johnstone and Bettinelli are 25 and would not break the transfer kitty.
In addition to a young goalie, I think we should go all out for Lewis Cook, and the likes of Ollie Watkins, Tammy Abraham, Patrick Roberts, Harry Wilson Josh Earle, Luke Shaw and if we were really looking to make a statement Marcus Rashford.. all great youn players who are 22 or younger. None will get into a top 6 starting XI regularly, but are more than good enough for us and if they continue to develop will be England internationals and at worst will be sold for a lot more than we would have to pay now.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

If the guardian are correct that Manson is available for 20m, We really should be all over that, 24 year old England internationals don’t grow on trees, and he is easily as good if not better that Maguire or Keane.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 84 days remaining

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Would anyone take Buffon for a season or 2?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

kenthammer1984 wrote:Would anyone take Buffon for a season or 2?
Might be difficult if he's retired.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Might be difficult if he's retired.
he is saying that he might change his mind now - he has had lots of offers in the past 15 days, on and off the pitch offers. now he isn't sure. all he knows is he won't be playing for Juve after this season (nor any other team in Italy)
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I would be interested to see how a new manager might use Antonio

Fully fit (a big if) in his correct position as part of a front 3 or 4 he is a massive asset

If he had stayed fit and we had continued to use him as we did for most of 2015/16, and not sticking him at RB, he would have made the Euro 2016 squad

He was very unlucky to not get an England cap back at that time

His career has stalled due to a combination of injuries and tinkering with his role.

Hopefully he can start afresh next season under a new gaffer, and get back to his best
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

kenthammer1984 wrote:Would anyone take Buffon for a season or 2?
He has reconsidered retiring, and had apparently had offers, on and off the pitch.

I reckon Sullivan has or will make an offer, would be seen as a coup and be unveiled as a legend of world football, and all that.
Still a decent keeper though, and free, although his salary would be top dollar.

I might of imagined this, but did Buffon say he had a liking for West Ham at some stage ?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I would be interested to see how a new manager might use Antonio.

Hopefully he can start afresh next season under a new gaffer, and get back to his best
This is true of a number of players who are on many people's "out" lists. In particular Antonio, Cresswell, Reid and Hernandez. All have been excellent PL players in the past – the first 3 have all been HOTY. Going to need to be a decision made pretty rapidly on whether they'll revive under new leadership and a more even squad, or if their decline is terminal.

Cresswell would be the one I'd have most concerns over keeping since his decline has been by far the longest – although his assists might save him.
nickstanley66

Post by nickstanley66 »

Buffon - Needs a new club, not retiring, people seem not entirely behind Adrian

Torres - If we get Benitez, would be great to reunite them
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

nickstanley66 wrote:Torres - If we get Benitez, would be great to reunite them
What is great about a 34 year old striker with a knackered knee that scored three league goals last season? Nothing, unless you are David Sullivan.