Farewell, David Moyes

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Farewell, David Moyes

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am

Ironing Board wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/may/17/west-ham-hardball-approach-looks-risky-david-sullivan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting piece in the Guardian. Apparently Gold wanted Moyes, Sullivan was messing him about and interviewing other managers and Moyes phoned him up and told him to shove it!

Fair play to you Dave for sticking to your guns and telling the dwarf where to go..
somerset-hammer

Postby Absolutely Hammered! on Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am

Already mentioned in another thread that moyes is the exact type of manager that West Ham need at this moment in time. we are a side who are nowhere near settled playing home games, so whether it’s entertaining or not we needed another season with Moyes in charge to Lay solid foundations defensivly while adding that extra flair. Basically balance the side more. Unless we have £150m to spend a wholesale change in philosophy with our current set of players could hurt us. Might be fun viewing mind you.
Absolutely Hammered!

Postby MadMart on Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am

I never wanted him here, boycotted all home games and thought his football was dire at best.
However, he kept us up just, and remained dignified throughout his time here - in stark contrast to the owners - so thanks Dave - you're better off out of this place
MadMart

Postby Loftyhammer on Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am

Puff Daddy wrote:I take it Stuart Pearce and his cronies have also gone with him

Bit harsh....but yep
Loftyhammer

Postby Aceface on Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 am

I think we certainly would have gone down with Bilic so for that he deserves credit. And his remaking of Arnautovic is one of the smarter pieces of coaching seen in these parts for a while.

But I do believe the last two weeks – the dead rubbers against two teams in Everton and Leicester who were both playing for nothing and simultaneously keen to oust their respective managers, and his quasi-resignation – are obscuring some warning signs if he had been offered a longer contract. Most obviously we still had the worst defensive record in the entire league. And – true to the knock on his recent signings – brought in the unused Hugill and ancient Evra on £75k a week.

"Getting the players fit" isn't a good reason to hire anyone, it should be taken as read for anyone heading up a PL club – all it does is reflect poorly on the previous incumbent. That said, the main reason people thought players were unfit was the frequent collapses, which happened at the same rate post-Bilic as they did while he was in charge. That seems to have been lost in the PR push since his appointment.

He deserved to be interviewed for the role after his contract ended, and it appears he would have been. But I disagree that he deserved the role unchallenged. His pride on where he thought he comes in the pecking order wouldn't let him, but I'd expect his next gig will be managing in the championship.
Aceface

Postby Hayden on Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 am

I was a little undecided about whether we should keep him on but he did what we asked and he earned my respect. We could and will do a lot worse now, I think.

As with many others he was treated like a moron by Sullivan and I respect him even more for walking. My only sadness is him leaving with bitter feelings towards ‘West Ham.’ Look at all our longer serving ex-managers and players of old - they pretty much all still have a strong affinity with the club mainly because of the relationship with the fans. We won’t have that anymore because Sullivan poisons it.
Hayden

Postby woodford on Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 am

Hayden wrote:
As with many others he was treated like a moron by Sullivan and I respect him even more for walking. My only sadness is him leaving with bitter feelings towards ‘West Ham.’ Look at all our longer serving ex-managers and players of old - they pretty much all still have a strong affinity with the club mainly because of the relationship with the fans. We won’t have that anymore because Sullivan poisons it.

:lol: Mate seriously?? This bloke was slagged off on here and every other form of media since his name was first mentioned. I dont mind a bit of revisionism every now and then but to say he would've had a great relationship with the fans were it not for Sullivan is really picking one right out of the air.

Look at the Poll on this forum. Not now theres loads of crocodile tears about him going, but prior to that. There's a good argument to say that he wasn't offered a new deal BECAUSE of the opinion of fans and Sullivans half arsed effort at fan appeasement
woodford

Postby scatts on Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 am

In the short time he had I think he did a decent job. Unpopular as it is, some credit is due to whoever made the decision to hire him despite considerable negativity amongst the fan base at the time.

I would have been neutral about him getting a longer contract. Feeling we could have done better but at least it’s better than Pards, Fat Sam or a bunch of other options.

Exactly how I feel about his departure will not be known until I see who the upgrade is. Sam was better than Avram, Bilic was better than Sam, Moyes was better than Bilic so at least the trend line is positive.
scatts

Postby woodford on Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 am

bang on Scatts
woodford

Postby sendô on Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 am

It's amazing what a couple of wins in the sunshine in dead rubbers can do for your perspective.

The majority didn't want him in the beginning, the majority didn't want to keep him near the end, and the majority spend his tenure bemoaning his negativity.

The reality was he wasn't much better than Bilic had been - largely working with the same side. Our underlying issue remains the Chairman, not the manager. Nonetheless, for a practical manager that is known for making teams hard to beat, and given that he set up defensively most matches with 5 at the back, we've finished the season with the joint most goals conceded.
sendô

Postby SullySpecial on Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 am

Moyes saw how average the squad was (with a couple of exceptions), and set them up to play in a way he thought would assure safety. It wasn’t pretty to watch, but it was effective enough to ensure survival.

Sully needs to get the next manager right AND strengthen the squad. If a manager comes in and wants to play attacking football with the current squad, we will be ripped to shreds.

I think Moyes deserved a full season. It’s a shame he’s gone, and I fear we may regret it, as I don’t trust GSB to pick the right man, or strengthen the squad.
SullySpecial

Postby eastsider on Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 am

Clucking Bell wrote: I think the club have really dropped a bollock and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take six points off us at his new club next season.

This is, in a nutshell my thoughts on the situation.
eastsider

Postby Coops on Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 am

I wasn't happy with his appointment and I am not going to change retrospectively and pretend that I voted to keep him in the poll.
My thoughts have always been that if we had owners who would give a manager free reign and a war chest that there are better managers out there. But they wont so a man like Moyes is probably the best we could hope for.
He got the players running, brought the best out in some of them and didn't take any crap from the others. He always handled himself with dignity.

It doesn't sit right with me that we have let him go so quickly. West Ham had had a long tradition of staying loyal to managers, that tradition seems to have been ended by our owners along with so many others. I do think that if he had stayed we could have pushed on and would have finished higher up the table, he did it with Everton and I reckon he could have done it with us.
I also think that letting him walk will come back to bite us on the bum. Sully doesn't know what he is doing, the trouble is he thinks that he does.
Coops

Postby westlondonhammer on Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 am

sendô wrote:It's amazing what a couple of wins in the sunshine in dead rubbers can do for your perspective.

The majority didn't want him in the beginning, the majority didn't want to keep him near the end, and the majority spend his tenure bemoaning his negativity.

97% wanted Pardew
36% wanted him to be offered a new contract?
On social media weeks before the end of the season the bigger West Ham accounts were all running polls for a replacement - he barely featured in people's responses

It's fair to say that the majority wanted him out. My view is that no matter how much i thought he was right for us going forward, he wasn't if he didn't have the backing of the majority of support. We can't be in the poisonous position where everyone hates the board AND the majority hate the manager... there needs to be someone at the top of the tree getting some support and giving us some hope.

This can't be pinned all on the board for me. How they handled it at the end can be... but ultimately he hasn't had the fans backing on the whole
westlondonhammer

Postby OFT on Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 am

Around January in the other Moyes thread(not the poll) when things were going quite nicely I wondered if anyone was concerned we might lose him as it seemed he was getting things in order.
Then injuries, Masuaku ban, Sullivan selling and barely buying made a difficult situation much worse. Somehow, from there the bloke has managed to keep this ramshackle club in the top flight only to find himself treated with contempt by Sullivan.
I think we've missed a trick here and at the worst possible time with world cup distractions etc. Moyes turned out to be a very lucky 'shot in the dark' and sully has, as usual it would seem, ballsed it up.

David Moyes has gone right up in my estimation.

Oh! and while we're at it, if Sullivan is so keen to react to/appease call it what you like, the verdict of fans forums, and polls...why doesn't he just **** off out of West Ham for good....That'd be popular.
OFT

Postby steveyrockstar on Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 am

Quietly won me over and I would've liked to have seen what he could have done with a full season. Wasn't perfect by any means, but felt a lot of the criticism regarding "boring" football was built more on fixed, pre-conceived views rather than anything we actually witnessed on the pitch.

I certainly thought we were more entertaining under Moyes than we were under Sam and Curbs, and that was with him working with a demoralised, paper-thin squad under the remit of avoiding relegation.

Good luck Moyes. Sad you're not staying. **** knows who we're gonna bring in now. Probably our 8th choice unheard-of Bosnian managing in the Turkish league or Marco Silva.
steveyrockstar

Postby Pop Robson on Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 am

Never slagged the club or the fans down as the previous incumbent did from the start
Pop Robson

Postby Smonnie on Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 am

sendô wrote:The majority didn't want him in the beginning, the majority didn't want to keep him near the end, and the majority spend his tenure bemoaning his negativity.

I agree the majority didn't want him in the beginning. I stop agreeing after that - I think it was a vocal minority that was complaining.
Smonnie

Postby Harry Hound on Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

Coops wrote:
It doesn't sit right with me that we have let him go so quickly. West Ham had had a long tradition of staying loyal to managers, that tradition seems to have been ended by our owners along with so many others.

The board only stayed "loyal" to managers in order to avoid paying them compensation. They're as tight as, and a trio of absolute shysters. From what I heard they hired Moyes essentially to keep us up because he was a lot cheaper than BFS who was their first choice but his salary demands were (according to them) extortionate. God knows who they'll bring in now but there's currently very little to feel optimistic about.
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby continental skills on Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 am

Moyes walking gives a great insight into the way that Sullivan does his business.
Get someone on the hook (in this case Moyes), make loud noises about how many better people you're trying to get in to take the job (Benitez, Fonseca, etc.), while wanting to keeping the first someone on the hook in case none of those bigger and better (shout it louder) names bite, work your way down a very public list while still keeping the first someone dangling, then when none of the bigger and better names are willing to come, make sure everyone knows you were chasing them while coming back to the first someone and offering him the job.
Moyes had more pride than to stay dangling. Good on him. But he's not the first to have reacted this way. Bacca did the same, for one.
I'm not saying we should have kept Moyes, but I do wish we had people doing the appointing (or signing players) who would go about their business quietly and efficiently for once.
continental skills

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion