Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Wiki says Carragher made his debut in 97 and as he was born in 78 that would make him 21.
rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:

Played, Cuenc :thup:
Now everyone can see why I am struggling to balance my budget..

:oops:

cheers lads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Ah, it's good to have you back old bean :)
The Claret Pimpernel

Post by The Claret Pimpernel »

Has one season left on his current contract , at 2,500 PW. After the season he has had, the board has offered him a mighty 10,000 a week new contract . Would be no surprise at all to see him gone in the summer, his head will definitely be turned :thdn:
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

The Claret Pimpernel wrote:Has one season left on his current contract , at 2,500 PW. After the season he has had, the board has offered him a mighty 10,000 a week new contract . Would be no surprise at all to see him gone in the summer, his head will definitely be turned :thdn:
He's still learning his trade and making plenty of mistakes in the process. Quality potential, but I think club's may be more tempted after another season.

I think £10k is about right. Hopefully it means he doesn't get complacent and also puts in the performances needed to justify a contract for a starting premier league player next season .
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

I think 10k is fair, the boy has just turned 19! Not a bad earner to be making half a mil at 19. Keep his feet on the ground and keep progressing Rice, I think he can make it to the top.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Problem is, Rice.will look at Reece Oxford, see he is on 20k a week and wonder why he is on half that amount.
What fool did that bit of business?
The Claret Pimpernel

Post by The Claret Pimpernel »

bowltorious wrote:I think 10k is fair, the boy has just turned 19! Not a bad earner to be making half a mil at 19. Keep his feet on the ground and keep progressing Rice, I think he can make it to the top.
Although I agree its a lot of money for a 19 year old , unfortunately it won't be enough to keep him in todays Premiership world. Especially one you think can make the top, because I'm sure your not alone and others will take the gamble.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

10K is way below his market value! You guys are living in the 90s!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I think the board have seen the attitude change in Reece Oxford since the new contract and have grown wary.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Yeah but he doesnt have to stay on the 10k, if he has a greta season again then tie him down to a 5 year deal and quadruple his wages or whatever.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

19 or not, 10K per for a starter in the PL is ridiculous.....

Rice played 26 games, Reid played 17, Ginge played 13

No brainer.......

if we think he's a starter again next year, pay him what a youthful starter earns.

wonder how many relegation fighters (or others come to that) started in kid in a back 3..alongside a bloke who can't stay fit (Reid) and a bloke who is old and can't stay fit (Ginge)....
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:19 or not, 10K per for a starter in the PL is ridiculous.....

Rice played 26 games, Reid played 17, Ginge played 13

No brainer.......

if we think he's a starter again next year, pay him what a youthful starter earns.

wonder how many relegation fighters (or others come to that) started in kid in a back 3..alongside a bloke who can't stay fit (Reid) and a bloke who is old and can't stay fit (Ginge)....
I think the issue is he shouldn’t have been a starter. Injuries and lack of investment led to us starting a 19 year old and a left back at centre back for most of the campaign.

Rice doesn’t need that sort of pressure on him this young.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Don't know why not jackhammer...

He has shown more reliability than either Reid or Ginge. He has come along great this season and should be considered a starter next season. imvho

The old addage applies..

If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Pay him at least half of what an "older experienced" starter should be on..

25K starting, plus appearances win bonuses etc. IF the new manager feels he is good enough to start that is..
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Don't know why not jackhammer...

He has shown more reliability than either Reid or Ginge. He has come along great this season and should be considered a starter next season. imvho

The old addage applies..

If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Pay him at least half of what an "older experienced" starter should be on..

25K starting, plus appearances win bonuses etc. IF the new manager feels he is good enough to start that is..
To be honest Cuenca I don’t think he’s good enough. He’s no doubt a massive prospect but we’re not good enough in midfield or defence to be covering for his errors. He should be getting some game time, both in midfield and defence, as well as substitute appearances, but if he’s a starter next season I think we’re in trouble again.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I think that he has performed fantastically ESPECIALLY as we have had shyte around and in front of him.

That's why I think Adrian could do better with a better 6 in front of him..enough to that we don't have to spunk out 20+ M for a replacement.

Even worse case scenario, he is the 4th CB, he's worth paying that much. If we play 3 CB's we need 5. Ginge is gone, Reid hasn't been fit for over 2 years maybe more. So he will play more, not less.

Fonte was probably on 70K per, and someone of that ilk will cost similar in fees (at least) and salary. So we spent around 3.5M in wages and we got back half the 8M he cost, so another 4M lost = almost 8M for Fonte who wasn't much better than Rice with no upside.

25-30K per for a 4th choice CB if we play 3 with Reid unlikely to play more than 2/3rd of a season who can step in game ready, and can also sub in a DM...I bet if we got in someone like a Stoke/WBA/Swansea choice it would cost much more.

I bet getting in Jonny Evans for 3M plus a HUGE signing on fee plus 80K per would be a starting CB price. With no sell on and a limited shelf life. He would want at least a 3 year contract so by 33 we would still be on the hook for 70K per........Now Evans would start don't get me wrong, but look what happened with Fonte, who came with better credentials.

Rice is a full international for the Republic. No down side. Sign him up for a realistic wage. Oxford is on 20K and has played about 5 games. Rice has already played 26.

As I say, a no brainer......
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I think Rice has improved tremendously and is looking top class. BUT it's not uncommon for players at his age to have a kind of 'second season syndrome' and go backwards. I think £10k a week is probably about right, but if he has another season of playing well whack that up to something more realistic. At 19 he needs to still have something to aim at, or he'll slip backwards
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Not saying that your wrong..

go to Whoscored.com

Defensively - the only place where Rice is slightly behind Reid and Ogbonna is in clearances and I don't quite know if they boot it and he plays it...no clue..Only Ginge is ahead of all of them...again not quite sure what that means.

He's about the same Passing as Oggie and Reid, Ginge is behind all of them.

I would take those stats into the new boss and tell him - I am WORTH 25K per.......and I can prove it.

I did an online course on game analysis. City (and I expect the rest) send the analysis to each player in that stats that basically concern their position after every game, plus game clips of those areas where the excelled in and didn't. They then compare them with the league averages. So immediately after each game and in continuum as the season progresses where exactly you are. You know why you are dropped or why your can't get into the starting line up.

It's not for just us "peons."

When it comes to negotiating a new contract you can ask for a pay raise, ask for equal pay for players in the league at the top end of your position etc. Or equally why you won't get one or why they are letting you go. Very much money ball. And why the NFL use the same type of stats in their pay scale. Not rocket science these days.

So I look at these stats and think that Rice in his first season performed as well as or almost, Reid, Oggie and Ginge. And played more than Reid and Ginge.

As I say - a no brainer. 10K is an insult. 25K more in line, and make it also performance related. Bonuses for this, bonuses for that etc. etc. etc.

Just my 'umble opinion......

and worthy of debate.

:thup: :thup:
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

mushy wrote:Problem is, Rice.will look at Reece Oxford, see he is on 20k a week and wonder why he is on half that amount.
What fool did that bit of business?

we all thought Oxford was the next 'rio', hasnt turned out that way , but we can hope
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

thejackhammer wrote:I think the board have seen the attitude change in Reece Oxford since the new contract and have grown wary.
this :thup:

however you cannot tarnish Rice with another players alleged poor attitude, i wonder what Hugill is on ?
and he looks a million miles from a 1st team game
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

chigwells finest wrote:
this :thup:

however you cannot tarnish Rice with another players alleged poor attitude, i wonder what Hugill is on ?
and he looks a million miles from a 1st team game
I don't know anything about it, but my hunch is that Reece Oxford realises that staying in Germany is by far the best way to develop his career. Le'ts be honest, the coaching and facilities are a million times better than England, and youngsters do get more opportunities

There seems to be a growing number of young English players who are moving to Germany, and fair play to them. Will defo benefit them in the long run