The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Samba »

Westcliffspur wrote:Yes, this is what I want to do with the rest of my life.
Really great post, Westcliff. Turning something bad into something good. :thup:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

Westcliffspur wrote:Yes, this is what I want to do with the rest of my life.
Samba wrote: Really great post, Westcliff. Turning something bad into something good. :thup:
Yes and yes.
Samba

Post by Samba »

somerset-hammer wrote:Sorry if this doesn't belong on here, I was going to start a separate thread, but when I started to think about it, the more I realized that at times this really affects my general happiness.
About 2 years ago, I awoke one morning with near total hearing loss in one ear, which was accompanied by quite severe tinnitus, the hearing loss was my initial concern, but as I have reluctantly learned to live with that, the tinnitus has taken centre stage, and without wanting to sound dramatic, it is like a form of torture.
Like I said sorry for hijacking this thread, but wasn't sure that it warranted a thread of its own.
Somerset, I think we'd all say that this is exactly the correct thread, so don't worry about that!
I have tinnitus, my own stupid fault like Dan's, which kind of makes it worse. You're not wrong to liken it to torture, it can be maddening. Also, you're so right, if you're stressed about hearing it, it will make it worse!
Sound distraction can help, maybe a radio on quiet by your ear, overnight?
Did you get fully checked out medically? 33, out of the blue & in one ear, does seem more unusual than just older age & noise abuse. Oh, just read your reply to Dan. Brain Tumour??? What a c*** for scaring you. Sorry to hear (no pun) you got nowhere.
Dr Venk's post (& the other people's good posts) is excellent. Interesting about the SSRI's. Funnily enough though, anti-depressant use has been linked to getting tinnitus.
This is a condition which I feel MUST have some kind of a cure soon. Obviously not sexy enough to spend much money on, despite how much people suffer..
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week.

Not sure if this could be of benefit to anyone today at 10:59.

https://www.headstogether.org.uk/mental-health-minute/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

DrVenk & Samba :thup:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Officer Dibble wrote:This week is Mental Health Awareness Week.

Not sure if this could be of benefit to anyone today at 10:59.

https://www.headstogether.org.uk/mental-health-minute/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heard this today, it's great that there's now a lot more awareness for mental health, it's about time.
Samba

Post by Samba »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Depression may well be something that some of us have to live with forever. But hopefully, with the right support and advice, we can all take the best steps to ensure that we are able to manage this condition and to not let it rule our lives.
Thanks for reading and be strong folks.
I've just read your post, iLL.
Sorry to hear you've had these difficulties in relationships. No wonder it all comes back in dreams as it does sound a bit unresolved. Did you manage to make that phone call on Mon night?
I hope your not feeling too stressed now.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Hi Samba,

Thanks for replying. I tried but she had period pains and was in bed so I thought it wouldn't be the best time. I figured it would be best to be patient and try my best to capture her in the best mood possible as I only have one shot at coaxing the truth out.

She said that she is busy most evenings this week so next week is best when we will arrange a catch up. I did suggest lunch but she suggested evening when her kids will be there so it could be tricky and I am not sure whether that means a phone call or a get together. Ideally it would be a 1 to 1 meeting with just the both of us somewhere. But I may just have to do it any way possible as it is dragging on and I need to know. It is a sensitive matter and I will try to broach it delicately. If she is still unwilling to engage in a chat then I will read between the lines and reach my own conclusion from that. If she has nothing to hide she will respond. If she responds then I am sure I will find out whether she is being truthful or not from my questioning. I am almost certain of what happened. I just need to hear it and for her to know that I already suspected.

I feel I am coping quite well. I feel fine mostly. It is just 5% of each day when the thoughts over the events creep into my mind that I can feel anger and resentment and hate. So far I am managing but it seems like everything is simmering underneath ready to break out and small things

I am back to eating my clean diet and hitting the gym once more. The only good thing is that my body is taking shape despite several days of alcohol and various other binges followed by limited eating and meals consisting of takeaway. Exercise has always been vital to me and is proving to be something I rely on at the moment to keep myself sane. Hope everyone else is well.
Samba

Post by Samba »

iLoveLasagne wrote:Hi Samba,
Thanks for replying. I tried but she had period pains and was in bed so I thought it wouldn't be the best time. I figured it would be best to be patient and try my best to capture her in the best mood possible as I only have one shot at coaxing the truth out.
I am back to eating my clean diet and hitting the gym once more. The only good thing is that my body is taking shape despite several days of alcohol and various other binges followed by limited eating and meals consisting of takeaway. Exercise has always been vital to me and is proving to be something I rely on at the moment to keep myself sane. Hope everyone else is well.
We all fall 'off the wagon', with a healthy life style sometimes, mate.
I do hope you get to talk with her & find out what you feel you need to know.
In case it doesn't happen or (I hope not) it goes wrong, have you ever thought about somewhere like relate? I've no experience of them but know that anyone can go, it's not just for couples to go. It's a shame to hear you carrying around, sad, angry, difficult feelings, although you are definitely NOT alone on that score.
Keep us updated & posting when you need to, mate.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

No sign of ELH since his last login 31st January.

Doesn't feel good and I've checked with Mods on this site - no one has any contact details for him other than PM and the email function on here.

Tried looking into whether he is contactable by ISP details through due concern, but it's like banging your head against the wall.

Anyone know how you can go about this?
S-H

Post by S-H »

That's very worrying, I've been unable to get Eggys post from a few pages back, out of my head.

I know it's unlikely, but I can't even bring myself to type it..

I just hope that Christopher is ok, and found the help he deserved.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:No sign of ELH since his last login 31st January.

Doesn't feel good and I've checked with Mods on this site - no one has any contact details for him other than PM and the email function on here.

Tried looking into whether he is contactable by ISP details through due concern, but it's like banging your head against the wall.

Anyone know how you can go about this?
Can the Mods see if that IP address has visited the site (but not logged on)?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

somerset-hammer wrote:That's very worrying, I've been unable to get Eggys post from a few pages back, out of my head.

I know it's unlikely, but I can't even bring myself to type it..

I just hope that Christopher is ok, and found the help he deserved.
I could find out the name of the deceased. Or is that overstepping a bit?
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Would a thread on the GD help/be allowed? More traffic on there. Someone on KUMB who only uses the GD might know him or someone external might read it.

Very worrying. Well done to RARS for keeping tabs and trying.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: I could find out the name of the deceased. Or is that overstepping a bit?
Your call fella but if you did it could help.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Sorry if I cannot explain what I am trying to say below it's not easy to put in words for me sometimes.

Not knowing if something has happened to a KUMB member is a thing that has always irked me a little.

Unless someone else on here actually knows a poster in person and can check there doesn't seem to be any way of knowing whether a poster has just stopped logging on / posting or that something else has happened.

For example Iron Spine was one of my favourite posters, he did post he may be gone for some time but I have no way of finding out if he is still around ( sorry to be so blunt ).

It's the not knowing that gets me, say I died tomorrow ( God forbid ), there is not one person on this site will ever know I am dead. ( cue a David's Cross joke coming up ) :D

We are all friends yet are anonymous as well. I wouldn't want to know the details of someone on here who has passed away but I would like to know they are deceased out of pure concern because I consider them friends.

There doesn't seem to be any mechanism to find out if a poster has just left the site or has passed away.

That is not the fault of KUMB just seems to be the way it is.

I sincerely hope ELH is ok and comes on here to tell us.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Eggy PM'd me last night, the guy he was talking about wasn't called Christopher, which although a relief on one hand, doesn't make it any less tragic as another young lad (one of our own) has sadly taken his life.

As I said before, I just hope that Christopher is taking time away because he has found and received the support that he so desperately deserves.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

ageing hammer wrote:It's the not knowing that gets me, say I died tomorrow ( God forbid ), there is not one person on this site will ever know I am dead.
I think the standard of jokes would go up.... 8-)
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

:D
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

And the average age would go down.