England Cricket Thread 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Re: England Cricket Thread 2018

Post by pablo jaye »

Shocking. Stokes gone to a very poor shot. Well done Pakistan though - deservedly on top.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Absolutely brainless from Stokes. Did he think it was fielding practise time or something?

I'm really enjoying this Pakistan side though. Their bowling attack is very good it seems. Lots of variety while we have 4 right armers all between 83-88 mph and yet another "let's give him a go" off spinner who's hardly played a match.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

I just don’t see where we go from here. Personally I would want to strip Root of the captaincy , but who else is there?

Stoneman and to a lesser extent Malan probably need to go. I know 30 isn’t old, but it would seem to me if they haven’t cemented a spot by this age, they never will. Why bother persistin with their mediocrity, by this point we may as well just pick younger players.

That said, I dont have the answers. I know there are names out there like Gubbins, Jennings, Livingstone, Clarke, Hameed etc but not likely they will transform the side overnight.

We just seem at a loss right now.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Buttler and Bess showing a bit of application. :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Well bugger me if we haven't somehow staggered into a lead.

4 of our top 6 with single digit scores this innings though.

Woeful.

Pakistan look good. They always come with good attacks, unfortunately at the moment we've not got an attack to match or batsmen to defend against them.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Sadly yet again the top order fails. Stoneman isn't the answer and Malan is never going to come in at number 4 and take the game away from the opposition.

Sadly there isn't much out there. How many openers have we tried since Strauss? 10 at least?

Great work from Bess and Buttler this evening.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I guess it's possible that we could get a 100 more and have something to bowl at but we will probably lose the first wicket in the first over.

We have massive problems in our team. I think Bayliss should step away from the test side of things but I actually don't blame him for this mess. Is Gooch still our batting coach? Time for a change there.

But the problem is we dont' have the players. On TMS they were talking about how good it is now that players are given a long run when they start. Well Stoneman has had too long. I'm fed up of hearing about how great his attitude is.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

2 down already this morning, will all be done by lunch unless Pakistan fancy getting bowled out on a flat wicket for 60
jacko wrote:Is Gooch still our batting coach?
Ramprakash is I believe
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

wolf359 wrote:

Ramprakash is I believe
Should be first out.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Garbage, fine the lot of them.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

All out, new ball devastated the tail.

Was looking forward to a day in the deck-chair with a book and TMS on low. Ah well.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Bend it like Repka wrote:
Should be first out.
I don't usually believe in changing coaches all the time but we have to question ramps. What is going on with our batting? It's been a disgrace for a long long time.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Is Root the worst captain we have ever had?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

jacko wrote: I don't usually believe in changing coaches all the time but we have to question ramps. What is going on with our batting? It's been a disgrace for a long long time.
In football we see managers and coaches sacked all the time when teams fail.

Cricket may not have that level of rotation, but clearly this England team is in a tailspin, and has been for a while.

Our batting statistics are terrible. For ages the bowlers were getting us out of trouble, but now we are not even doing that.

Both Bayliss and Ramps cannot survive this. We are failing in the same way game after game. Something major needs to change.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I think the issue is primarily with Bayliss. Whatever he managed to achieve at Sri Lanka is history. He can't see beyond the short game,he has to go. Plenty thought making Root skipper was a mistake, test match captains have to think on their feet for five days it's no job for an inexperienced youngster simply because he's your best batsman ( Brearley was a very limited batsman at test level,but such a great captain he was worth his place).
smuts

Post by smuts »

Just an absolute shambles all round.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Tenbury wrote:I think the issue is primarily with Bayliss. Whatever he managed to achieve at Sri Lanka is history. He can't see beyond the short game,he has to go. Plenty thought making Root skipper was a mistake, test match captains have to think on their feet for five days it's no job for an inexperienced youngster simply because he's your best batsman ( Brearley was a very limited batsman at test level,but such a great captain he was worth his place).
I’ve said this for a while about Bayliss. Limited overs stuff, fine, but he seems disinterested in Test cricket at the moment.

With regard to the the captaincy, maybe they should of given it to a more senior figure. But who is there available? Broad? Anderson? Was Cook such a bad captain? Seem to remember he had a few flaky results towards the end of his tenure but in the main we didn’t lose at home much. My main gripe with his captaincy st the time was he was far too conservative and I thought Root would come in and freshen it up a bit with new ideas and be a bit more cavalier, fair to say we haven’t seen much of this just dismal performances really.
smuts

Post by smuts »

There is no one else as the cupboard is bare. Cook had clearly had enough near the end.

It's a damning indictment of the standard of our coaching system when the last real batsman to come through and stamp himself into the side is probably Root. Stoneman looks the latest opener to be totally lost at international level and Malan is okay but he's not going to come and change the game like a number 4 should.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Anderson's ,albeit declining , excellence tends to mask the fact that the bowling problems aren't far behind.
I often wonder if Broad hadn't had a different name, whether he'd have been persisted with so long as this. Without doubt, his time is long past.( As an aside, there's a player who never fulfilled his early talent , he could have been a great all-rounder). Jimmy can't go on forever. Wood? Finn? Woakes ? (Maybe)

Having said all that, David Willey got a late call up to the IPL .....about 6 weeks work for £ 225K.......Q.E.D.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Root isn’t a captain.
We’re shifting back to the 90’s scenario of having plenty of players with talent, but not a cohesive unit of classwith the right temperament.
While the scattergun selection policy hasn’t reverted that era, it’s beginning to move towards that path.
Bowling wise as mentioned above. Jimmy can’t go on forever. Broad has been a consistent enigma for years, ranging for genuinely devastating and classy, to brainless and inept dependant on what side of bed he woke up on. Those waiting in the wings haven’t proved themselves and the likes of Jamie porter must have really offended someone.
We’re not had a decent spinner since Swann decided he couldn’t be bothered anymore. The Ali experiment went on far, far too long.
On the plus side we have about 4 quality batsman wicketkeepers.