Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by the pink palermo »

With each passing day the dreadful nature of this deal becomes clearer and clearer.

I reckon we'll be ground sharing with another London club within a decade, and not at the OS either.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

As diabolical as that sounds, Pinky, that'd be progress.

It'd mean we'd at least be out of the shitpit and in a temporary, untenable situation prior to what you'd hope was a new, proper home.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Very mixed reviews of the stadium on Tripadvisor following the Stones gig. Complaints about acoustics (echoing in upper rows) £6.40 for Heineken. security checks causing severe delays and disorganisation.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:As diabolical as that sounds, Pinky, that'd be progress.

It'd mean we'd at least be out of the shitpit and in a temporary, untenable situation prior to what you'd hope was a new, proper home.
Couldn't possibly agree more. √√√
Barnet Steve
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Barnet Steve »

There is a faint rumour that Paul Allen is leading the consortium to buy out the agreement from the LLDC. If so, this could lead to him acquiring more shares in the club with an eye to possible succession.

Heard this from a couple of people who work in planning, and the talk is that the Thunderdome becomes a base for American Football, etc, with West Ham eventually moving into a bespoke ground.

Could all be balls, but only passing on a couple of things that came from two separate sources.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

For the London Stadium to be a base for American Football you'd have to tear most of it down. The lower tier is too shallow for the sport as you have 50-odd players and coaches at the sidelines blocking the view of the pitch.
RM9

Post by RM9 »

The stewarding at the Stones gig was laughable.

The ticket said to enter via one bridge, was turned away and sent to another bridge.

Guy in front of me had a camera - pocket camera, not some wide lense SLR. The initial search team refused entry as it was deemed to be a ‘professional camera’. After the guy kicked off, a supervisor said ‘on this occasion we’ll let you in’.

Women were turned away with larger than a5 handbags, yet some were let in with backpacks.

At the end of the gig, stewards were blocking all exits from the pitch up to concourse level and forced everyone to a bottle neck at the furthest end away from the stage. One set of stewards blocked me, after quite a few beers I warned them I needed a piss quickly. They wouldn’t have any of it, so fair enough.... if you’ve got to go, you have to go. Bubbles may have put a corner flag on the center circle, I did the next best thing. The next aisle along, the stewards tried to block me, I forced past them and was on my way.

Last year, the guns n roses gigs were managed pretty well, this year they ****ed it up at the Stones, lets hope they learn and improve for the Foo Fighters.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

strangest "security check" yet at the LS on friday.

Got to the front held my jacket in my hands, got the once over with the metal detector and waived through. Even offered my jacket to be searched but they ignored it.

Yet other people seem to have got the works
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

the pink palermo wrote:With each passing day the dreadful nature of this deal becomes clearer and clearer.

I reckon we'll be ground sharing with another London club within a decade, and not at the OS either.
for clarity, here is what I'm on about.

A grantor default is described partly as (my emphasis):
"(b) a breach by the Grantor of Clause 44 (Changes to the Parties and Amendment) and the
assignment. transfer, novation or disposal of any interest in its rights and obligations under
this Agreement to any person that is not a public body which does not have sufficient
financial standing
or financial resources to perform the obligations of the Grantor under this
Agreement for the Term;"
However, later LLDC's undertaking is described as that it must (again my emphasis):
"not assign. transfer, novate or dispose of any interest in its rights and obligations under the
Concession Documents and shall procure that the Grantor shall not assign. transfer, novate
or dispose of any interest in its rights and obligations under the Concession Documents to
any person that is not a public body or which does not have the sufficient financial standing

or financial resources to perform the obligations of the Grantor under the Concession
Documents"
That later inclusion of "or" changes the meaning entirely. Which is the 'correct' version? nobody knows.

So even selling the thing is potentially a legal minefield.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Depends how you interpret the later wording. To me it reads that any transfer of ownership must be to a government body, but that they must have sufficient funds as well. I imagine that's been inserted to stop a deal with a body which is later unable to meet it's commitments and needs bailing out. I would imagine the target is the local council, stopping them from taking over then a year down the line declaring the company bankrupt and selling off to interested parties. Only a personal opinion but it's how it reads to me
bengeo
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by bengeo »

goa127 wrote:Only a personal opinion but it's how it reads to me
I don't think it matters how it reads to you, me or anyone else here. It's a mess. Take capacity - it says a minimum of 53,500. I think we started with 54,000 and then got it up to 57,000. Brady is saying we should have 60,000 and she wants more than that. The lawyers should do well out of it .....
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bengeo wrote:The lawyers should do well out of it .....
They already have! £3m post-move from the LLDC (according to David Goldstone) and £500k from West Ham (according to Karren Brady) in fees for legal challenges regarding the agreement so far.

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=131795
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

goa127 wrote:Depends how you interpret the later wording.
That's exactly the point.

the amount of stuff 'open to interpretation' or not covered at all in the Agreement is exactly why the numbers UTJ provides are so high, and why they will continue to rise.
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

Interesting that Chelsea have paused their stadium development.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/ ... m=referral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Modern wrote:Interesting that Chelsea have paused their stadium development.
Roman getting ready to pull out?
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

This can't be a real surprise to anyone. The figures being bandied about for this were eye-watering, plus a 3 year relocation. Pie in the sky with gravy
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

E7Iron wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but if there is contaminated soil under the OS, can't they just dig it up and take it away? I am pretty certain that they did that for most of the Olympic Park?

Digging down is the only way that this can be fixed, short of a complete demolish job.
When all of the Olympic Park was wasteland there was a railway line specifically there to take away all of the waste material (and bring in materials) during the development for the Olympics. The railway line has now gone and most of the Park has been or is under development. You would have to move all of the waste out by road - potentially through residential areas.
griff123

Post by griff123 »

Surely they can use special barges to take the stuff away on the canal behind the stadium?
Last edited by Up the Junction on Thu May 31, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double quote removed.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

griff123 wrote:Surely they can use special barges to take the stuff away on the canal behind the stadium?
The LS could be made more suitable for football, and it's not waste or any other such bulls*** that will prevent it from being so. There's one thing, and one thing only........ £££££££

There is not a chance of the tax payer putting their hands in their collective pockets, and there's even less chance of GSB doing so.

New owners anyone? We can but hope......
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Just seen Abramovich has put Chelseas new stadium plans on hold, that and having problems with his visa issues not looking good for the rent boys