How far will England go?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Re: How far will England go?

Post by Rio »

Quarter finals.

We’ll unspectacular get through the group, narrow victories over Tunisia & Panama. Last 16 beat Senegal in a thriller. Then lose to Germany in the quarters
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

2nd round.

If they get a favourable 2nd round draw, then possibly quarters. But thats about it.

I think its a poor squad overall.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

hammers92 wrote:I find people’s willingness to tell everyone they hate England rather sad. It’s pretty simple, don’t watch them and take your wife shopping when they play. Everyone’s happy.
Never said I hate England :D
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

semis and anything can happen , i genuinely think that . we are going to be the surprise package of the tournament
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Thekorean wrote:This England team isn't Bobby Moore's team anymore.

And Harry Kane is a ****.

I got nothing but love for English fans (except Spurs and Millwall) but the rage when England lose is hilarious.
England fans have had low expectations for a number of years now. I think pretty much since the failure to qualify for Euro 2008 after McLaren's "Wally with the brolly" moment.

It never ceases to amaze me though how many foreigners seem to delight in us failing at major tournaments. Why does a Korean living in the US care so much? It's a bit weird.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Getting out of the group would be an improvement.

Getting to the quarters would be an achieviement.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

chigwells finest wrote:semis and anything can happen , i genuinely think that . we are going to be the surprise package of the tournament
I like the cut of your jib :thup:

Me, 1/4's at best.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last time a Tottenhamstriker led the line for Engerland, that happened
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

When you take a look at their group, you would be forgiven for thinking this should be a breeze for England, but any team, no matter how much talent they have, will still struggle to break down inferior opposition if they are well organised and disciplined, particularly in tournament football. We have even seen it all before, the more they take the game to them, the more they huff and puff and then leave themselves open to a sucker punch. Think Argentina v Cameroon at Italia 90. England were also expected to steamroller The Yanks and Algeria with our so called 'Golden generation', which don't forget was supposedly in its prime, at South Africa 2010, but could not bash down the doors of stoic opponents.

At the last World Cup, Argentina, with Messi at the top of his powers, battered Iran's reserve team for 86 minutes before they finally conjured up a rather fortuitous goal and at the last Euro's, Germany struggled to score against Northern Ireland and could only manage just the one goal. The matches against Tunisia and Panama, which are not gimme's, will be key to progression and if they don't beat either of them and lose to Belgium, they will be coming home. Should they make it through, however, I think the quarters will be where it will end
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Quarter finals. Out on penners
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

James P wrote:
Have you seen the group we're twinned with? It's been nicknamed "The Group of Life" :D
After seeing the warm up games and seeing how good a job Southgate has done with the squad and its togetherness so far I am confident we can get through to the Quarter Finals and from there who knows.

I am expecting 2 draws (Tunisia & Belgium) and a win (Panama) in the groups.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I think we'll make the quarters and then anything could happen. If we win that game, particularly if it's against Germany, I wouldn't rule out us winning the whole thing. Tournaments are all about getting on the front foot and maintaining momentum which we haven't managed to do since Euro 96.

I also think that Southgate has something remotely resembling a plan rather than simply picking the perceived best eleven players and hoping for the best which seems to have been the strategy for all of his predecessors since Venables.

I'm quietly confident that we'll probably do a bit better than we expect but, that we'll get overwhelmed by the hype if we get as far as the semis.
nt_hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by nt_hammer »

I actually fancy us to win our group.

From there on in is anyone’s guess as England have a shocking record in knock out games at the World Cup. Think we’ve only one something like five since 1966!

Therefore, I’d be happy with the quarter finals and playing some nice attacking football along the way.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Rio wrote:Quarter finals.

We’ll unspectacular get through the group, narrow victories over Tunisia & Panama. Last 16 beat Senegal in a thriller. Then lose to Germany in the quarters
Sounds very plausible and all too likely, though personally, I think we could draw with Tunisia but will beat Panama and Belgium
sendô

Post by sendô »

I was thinking about this the other day, and the likelihood is we will draw with Tunisia and Panama, needing to beat Belgium to go through - which we will of course lose.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote:I was thinking about this the other day, and the likelihood is we will draw with Tunisia and Panama, needing to beat Belgium to go through - which we will of course lose.
I think so, too.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

If we draw with Panama then we need shooting
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

I don't know what is worse: going home early or getting hammered by one of the big guns.
(I wonder how many Brazil fans wish that they'd never reached the final in 2014?)
As has been said already - our defence is not up to much so I don't hold out much hope.
I think we will struggle in the creativity department without Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Still,Glenn Hoddle will be creaming himself every time a Spurs player touches the ball so an early exit
has its compensations.
sendô

Post by sendô »

uptonparkhurst wrote:I(I wonder how many Brazil fans wish that they'd never reached the final in 2014?)
I'd imagine none of them, given that they were thrashed by Germany in the semi final.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I entered this World Cup competition the other day , I think I had England going out to the Germans in the Quarter Final . Got no affinity to this England side so it's hard to get enthusiastic about them .