The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Post by jacko »

pablo jaye wrote:
Someone mentioned that to me that England never do well after a Lions tour - however, it didn't really affect the Irish that much, so a pretty pointless excuse as far as I am concerned. Amongst other things, England didn't appear to have the desire, or the wherewithal to make decisions on the pitch to improve things when the chips were down. Well done Ireland and to the other nations for some cracking games - Wales v France, Italy v Scotland, to name a couple
You’re wrong here actually. I read an article that said sexton has played 600 minutes of rugby since the lions and Farrell has played 1200 minutes. The Irish clubs are looked after better. Jones messed up by not resting the lions players for the autumn internationals.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

pablo jaye wrote:
Someone mentioned that to me that England never do well after a Lions tour - however, it didn't really affect the Irish that much, so a pretty pointless excuse as far as I am concerned. Amongst other things, England didn't appear to have the desire, or the wherewithal to make decisions on the pitch to improve things when the chips were down. Well done Ireland and to the other nations for some cracking games - Wales v France, Italy v Scotland, to name a couple
You aren't comparing like for like....IRFU control exactly what their players do and when they do it. And more importantly, when they don't. Same for WRU and (I believe?) SRU.

The English clubs own & control the players...there is an agreement with the RFU re access; but it's a million miles away from any kind of control. I would be amazed if any of the Irish lads played much this coming weekend in Pro14, but can you imagine Sarries not playing Itoje, Farrell & Mako vs. Quins? Then there is Europe the week after...etc.etc.

Don't get me wrong, England have some fundamental issues and Ireland are very well deserved winners of the Grand Slam - but you can't underestimate the impact of proper control over players
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Loftyhammer wrote: You aren't comparing like for like....IRFU control exactly what their players do and when they do it. And more importantly, when they don't. Same for WRU and (I believe?) SRU.

The English clubs own & control the players...there is an agreement with the RFU re access; but it's a million miles away from any kind of control. I would be amazed if any of the Irish lads played much this coming weekend in Pro14, but can you imagine Sarries not playing Itoje, Farrell & Mako vs. Quins? Then there is Europe the week after...etc.etc.

Don't get me wrong, England have some fundamental issues and Ireland are very well deserved winners of the Grand Slam - but you can't underestimate the impact of proper control over players
Yep agreed. It's a hugely different set up and the effect of it can't be underestimated. The Premiership is intensely competitive with relegation and various European levels of qualification too. That level of competition doesn't exist in the pro 14.

That said Sarries have actually benched most of their England contingent with the exception of Wigglesworth. Quins are playing Robshaw, Brown and Care but two of those didn't start and they haven't got a European match to play next week.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Congratulations on Bristol making it back to the premiership. Good foundation to stay up this time.

Madigan and Morahan have been outstanding.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Brizzer,
I think the financial structure is the hardest bit. I know couple of people with strong connections to the Warriors, good ground,good side, good crowd, finances all over the place..
bristolhammerfc

Agreed. Interesting that our top player for next season is reported to be on a million a year which in rugby terms is crazy.
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

Try being a Quin, almost as bad as being a hammer. Congratulations to Bristol, a city that big deserves premiership rugby. I think Exeter have got it in the bag this year, but you never know with the play offs. I fancy Racing for the EC.
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

BromleyHammer wrote:Try being a Quin, almost as bad as being a hammer. Congratulations to Bristol, a city that big deserves premiership rugby. I think Exeter have got it in the bag this year, but you never know with the play offs. I fancy Racing for the EC.
It has been a truly awful season hasn't it. John Kingston = Glenn Roeder. Get the appointment wrong and relegation beckons.
bristolhammerfc wrote:Agreed. Interesting that our top player for next season is reported to be on a million a year which in rugby terms is crazy.
Completely unsustainable. Moneymen will ruin rugby in England before long in the same way premiership football is screwed. Congratulations to Bristol though should be in the premiership, although there no excuse not to get promoted with that team and no play offs!
bristolhammerfc

Disappointed with the re branding though.

Now Bristol Bears, all to appease the Americans and a younger demographic.

The city has no connections with Bears and the badge looks like a Panda.

All this AFTER I had spent a grand renewing season tickets for the family
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Hartley out of the SA tour, this concussion issue is quite a challenge. Whatever, a great chance for George, and who'll be the new skipper?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

OF will get the captaincy. Could see Itoje being given the VC position.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

I think that's exactly what Itoje needs. Probably one of the best young forwards in years, becomes established in the side, looked a bit jaded last season, needs that extra responsibility to go forward.
I feel sorry for Hartley, but ,as must be obvious, I 've never really rated him as a WC winning captain, and George ,for me, is a much more mobile number 2, and the best sides have forwards as mobile,skilfull in handling the ball and fast as top class backs were 20 years ago. Same as Otoje really, this tour is make or break for him.
I know as far as England goes the 6nations was pretty much a disaster, but I honestly feel that ,in that competition,they are on a hiding to nothing...it's huge for Wales,Scot,Ireland to beat them,and they always raise their game. The WC is the prize for England, I'm really looking forward to this tour.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Hartley was a vital figure in the transition from Lancaster to Jones. Under Lancaster, England had lost all their edge and had become apologetic and desperate to shake off the arrogant tag that's followed them for decades. Jones decided to bring that back, and Hartley was his figurehead on that front - confrontational, spiky and arrogant.

He clearly has his limits as a player, but there is absolutely no doubt how important he was in that transitional phase. I'd like Itoje to become the ultimate figurehead of this England side, and anything to get his mojo back should be encouraged. I think it's a bit of a myth that he's been "found out" by the opposition, he just needs to get his energy levels back to where they were when he first burst onto the scene.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

I 'm still agreeing.
The only thing to 'find out' re Otoje is he's a quality player! ( Quite like Simmonds too).
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Despite being soundly beaten we had a fantastic time @ the Final on Saturday. First time me & my son got to see the Chiefs in action. Amazing fans the Exeter supporters, the ‘Tomahawk Chop’ is so simply and yet so effective in creating an atmosphere that echoed all around Twickenham. My 11-year-old loved it, now begging me to take him on a Road Trip to Sandy Park next season!

Credit to Saracens – they were just too good on the day. But we’ll take solace in topping the league by 8 points and previously beating Sarries in the league both Home & Away :wink: .

We’ve got so much talent coming through the ranks, the future’s even brighter for the Chiefs!
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Fair play to the chiefs, they've built steadily year on year, and their progress has had a massive knock on effect for rugby in the SW. The Pirates,Launceston,Taunton etc, all progressive clubs.
Kendo Nagasaki

Post by Kendo Nagasaki »

Ashton’s hat trick against England was most amusing. Time to rethink this daft policy of blocking players from moving to France whilst still drafting in Samoans and Kiwis when it suits.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Ok , it was all a bit experimental and perhaps the game was devalued due to the amount of top players missing from both teams' line-ups but I'll take any win against South Africa .

Wales 22 South Africa 20 .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44312774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

Kendo Nagasaki wrote:Ashton’s hat trick against England was most amusing. Time to rethink this daft policy of blocking players from moving to France whilst still drafting in Samoans and Kiwis when it suits.
The rule isn't the problem. He'd still be in England is Jones had picked him, he just thought "eff it, I'll make some money if I'm not going to be playing for England again. I'd always like to see him in the squad. He's a bit of a turnstile in defence but peerless in picking the right attacking lines.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

I agree with Dan,what's the prob with players plying their trade in France etc? Seems to me that plenty of UK based fans are expected to, and do, travel over Europe for their sport, why can't the players?