Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by delbert »

davids cross wrote:
On a similar note...(if I may)

Why do the farts of others smell so vile..

and yet..

Your own ones have a sort of "horrible yet really nice smell " thang going on..... :D
Because sub conscientiously you know you are breathing in the contents of their bowel, particles from their rectum is in your lungs and it got there through your nose
You may as well go suck on their puckered rusty hole.......... :(
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

You make it sound like a bad thing
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

DrVenk wrote:Do other guys size themselves up in the gents toilets or changing rooms in a non-sexual way?

I do. It's going quite well.
I thought you were dead, George....
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

A mate of mine had someone hit his motor whilst parked near Wanstead Station. A witness saw a black Range Rover hit my mates car and drive off. She described the number plate as being possibly-

KASHIFA

Now that doesn't look like a proper plate, so im thinking what could it be using regular numbers and yearly prefix/suffixes?

Help most appreciated Kumbers. :thup:
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

KA58 IFA
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I'm having a banana sandwich for lunch, I didn't have a knife to slice the banana so I just took a bite of the bread and then took a bite of the banana each time after all it is the same thing isn't it.

My question is it just didn't taste as good as when you slice up the banana and put it between the two slices of bread.

Why is that? :eh:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

ageing hammer wrote: so I just took a bite of the bread and then took a bite of the banana each time after all it is the same thing isn't it.
I love ageing... :D

I do this sort of thing.........it must be age.

On a side note, I have always loved banana sandwiches. I have them probably every day or every other day.

My big problem is that although I love bananas they always give me really bad heartburn, which I've always been susceptible to.

I take these regularly ....a godsend https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Coz the butter/marg aint on/in the banana, the banana / butter chemicals mix together immediately, changing the chemicals of said parts, thus changing taste slightly, it's all about the science innit 8-)

[i]I may have made some or all of that up though..[/i]
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are boss :thup:

They have to be on brown bread too.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

davids cross wrote:On a side note, I have always loved banana sandwiches. I have them probably every day or every other day.
My big problem is that although I love bananas they always give me really bad heartburn, which I've always been susceptible to.
Ah, that would be the immature or undeveloped seeds in the middle.
If you could be bothered with cutting the banana (long ways) into quarters & then scraping/cutting out this bit, you probably wouldn't then get the indigestion.
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

Not always wanted to know but are the Hells Angels still going?

I used to see the All England chapter around quite a bit in the 1980-90’s and had to make a quick exit on another occasion when Windsor visited a club I was in and were playing up.

All I see these days are mid-life crisis bikers on their Harleys heading no doubt to the Ace cafe whatever that represents.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Coz the butter/marg aint on/in the banana, the banana / butter chemicals mix together immediately, changing the chemicals of said parts, thus changing taste slightly, it's all about the science innit 8-)

[i]I may have made some or all of that up though..[/i]
It is about the science, but what actually happens is that the combination of banana, bread, butter/spread, the amount present, and the timing of mastication will have an effect upon the rate of the flavour molecules being released.

The fat in the butter/spread will bind certain molecules, suppressing their volatility, and preventing them from reaching the nasal epithelium when combined at source i.e. in a sandwich, but when eaten separately they don't, or they do but slightly later, by which time your brain has already processed the information and decided how it tastes.

Flavour is perceived in the brain, not in the mouth/nose, and what we perceive is a change in concentration of the various molecules. If nothing is changing i.e.at equilibrium, we perceive nothing. Think about it; when you walk into a room you can smell the ambient aroma - the air freshener used, or the carpet cleaner, or the smell of the people already there. After 90 seconds or so, you don't, but those volatile aroma molecules are still present, but since they are no longer changing, we do not perceive them.

If you take your favourite meal, a full english for example, and put it in a blender, it will have the same molecular make-up, the same nutritional value, the same average colour even etc but it will not taste as good as when you combine the elements your self, in your mouth - the mixture and difference in taste and texture between egg, sausage, bacon, fried bread etc is soooo good because of the changes happening in your nose and mouth. And how good does the tea/coffee taste afterwards?

If you're interested there has been some pretty heavy duty research and science on this matter. Seriously, someone gets paid to study this !!

:)
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Are the people that voted to remain, the same people that vote Lib dem and laugh at Michael McIntyre?
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Are the people that voted to remain, the same people that vote Lib dem and laugh at Michael McIntyre?
No. I voted remain and Lib Dem, but can't stand McIntyre.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are boss :thup:

They have to be on brown bread too.
Put some honey in it too. Best sandwich ever!!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

All this talk of banana sandwiches..

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Are the people that voted to remain, the same people that vote Lib dem and laugh at Michael McIntyre?
If they were, we'd have a LibDem government.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

David's Cross,
Have you had a check to see if you have a hiatus hernia? I do and take Lasoprazole every other day, I get them on prescription. Both of those I used to get from the USA when I lived in Canada. You can buy various heartburn tablets off the shelf in the USA but they were prescription only in Canada, about £30 or more for 1 months supply, about £20 for 2 months in the US. You should get tested.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Hammer.CA wrote:David's Cross,
Have you had a check to see if you have a hiatus hernia? I do and take Lasoprazole every other day, I get them on prescription. Both of those I used to get from the USA when I lived in Canada. You can buy various heartburn tablets off the shelf in the USA but they were prescription only in Canada, about £30 or more for 1 months supply, about £20 for 2 months in the US. You should get tested.
This is spot on actually. I have suffered heartburn for years and years and I was diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia.

I take the various tablets as well but I have found that my weight determines if I get heartburn or not.

My weight has fluctuated for 20 years , I am at my heaviest at 13 stone 7 pounds and my lightest is 10 stone 7 pounds ( I am only 5 feet 5 inches ).

When I am over weight I always get heartburn and have to rely on the tablets yet when I drop some weight ( usually after the first stone ) the heartburn disappears no matter what I eat I never get it.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Hammer.CA wrote:David's Cross,
Have you had a check to see if you have a hiatus hernia?.
No, I haven't mate...

I started having problems in my teens...........nothing serious but it would be uncomfortable sometimes. That's continued all my life. Doctor originally gave me some chalk like muck about 40 years ago. It worked though.

It's never reached the stage where I needed to talk to the doctor about it again.

Funny thing is, my mum has a hiatus hernia........Hereditary I wonder..