2018 World Cup - Dark Horses?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Re: 2018 World Cup - Dark Horses?

Post by sendô »

kielhammer wrote:My Belgians definitely are going to be the dissapointment of the tournament. And the waste of the golden generation will be a fact after 2020. Because we had a dreadfull manager in Wilmots,replaced him with Martinez because the federation claimed not to have the money to invest in a real top manager (does that sound familiar?) . We played dreadfull football in one of the easiest qualification groups. The players refuse to play big nations before the tournament because they don't see the use and the utility in that . All the while, the Spains,Germany,France, Brasil continue to play each other to test themselves. Whenever this team came up against a somewhat decent opponent they lost,and they will go max a far as the quarters .
Well luckily there's no decent teams in your group, so you'll likely walk that.
kielhammer

Post by kielhammer »

Martinez the clown just left out Nainngollan,and selected Chadli,Januzai and Benteke over him,so doubt we will get out of the group
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

kielhammer wrote:Martinez the clown just left out Nainngollan,and selected Chadli,Januzai and Benteke over him,so doubt we will get out of the group
There is not one manager I dislike as much as I do Martinez. Can't stand him. How can you leave out Nainggolan based on some personal feelings? I mean, Belgium actually do lack a bit of depth to their squad. You have some fantastic players...but when Boyata, Ciman, Chadli and Januzaj can make a 23, you can't be leaving out one the best midfielders in Europe.
Last edited by il_martello_di_genovesi on Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

kielhammer wrote:Martinez the clown just left out Nainngollan,and selected Chadli,Januzai and Benteke over him,so doubt we will get out of the group
Bloody hell, one of the top performing midfielders this season and a CL semi finalist.

Icardi left out of Argentina's squad too, despite top scoring in Serie A this season
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote:Senegal ?

To get quite far, I don't think they'll win it, QF's I reckon.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Patito wrote:
To get quite far, I don't think they'll win it, QF's I reckon.
England to be knocked out by a West Ham reject ?
nt_hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by nt_hammer »

Uraguay to go far I think, with notable mentions for Croatia and Denmark too!
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Tunisia looked pretty lively against Spain, they defended well and won the ball back quickly, matched Spain in midfield, looked very fast and dangerous going forward but lack composure in front of goal. I can't see them going too far as they're not clinical enough in front of goal but I think they'll make things hard for us in our opening game and could get to the QF stage.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Serbia should be a force on paper

Defence is a bit iffy but solid, Kolarov is good
Midfield is very tasty, Milivojevic, Tadic, Llajac, Matic of course Milkinko-Savic coming off a class season
And up top Mitrovic will always throw himself about, which will probably suit Milkinko Savic in behind
Patito

Post by Patito »

fmgod wrote: And up top Mitrovic will always throw himself about, which will probably suit Milkinko Savic in behind
Think he scored a hat-trick at the weekend as well
AAL86

Post by AAL86 »

I feel Costa Rica and Peru will get to the knockout stages.

Costa Rica are playing their best football, their 2014 campaign is no fluke and have got better and better. Keylor Navas (won the golden glove 4 years ago) is probably the best keeper in the world at the moment and he's just secured his third champions league trophy. Bryan Ruiz is their captain and also have attacking threats from Campbell and Urena… Also Celso Borges is a solid midfielder.

Peru are currently on a 15 game unbeaten run and go into the tournament looking to ruffle a few feathers. Paolo Guerrero and Jefferson Farfan are 34 and 33 but have around 190 caps and 60 goals between them but they also have Edison Flores and Watford' Andre Carrillo to chip in. Renato Tapia is a very very good midfielder and currently plays in the dutch league for Feyenoord. He has over 20 caps and just 22 years old.

Other teams to look out for are Sweden as they have built their squad from their successful European youth team and Morocco who are looking to make an impact as they are predicted to win the 48 team 2026 World Cup host bid over North American triple joint hosts US, Canada & Mexico.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Does 'dark horses' mean a team who could potentially win it despite being outsiders/not one of the big boys, or just an outsider team who you think might go far and surprise a lot of peple?
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

Defence is a bit iffy but solid, Kolarov is good
Midfield is very tasty, Milivojevic, Tadic, Llajac, Matic of course Milkinko-Savic coming off a class season
And up top Mitrovic will always throw himself about, which will probably suit Milkinko Savic in behind[/quote]

Serbia should make the second round. Have you seen their incredible goal against Bolivia???

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news ... y-20180609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

Think he scored a hat-trick at the weekend as well[/quote]

Mitrovi also assisted on the great team goal with a bicycle kick.
Patito

Post by Patito »

steveyrockstar wrote:Does 'dark horses' mean a team who could potentially win it despite being outsiders/not one of the big boys, or just an outsider team who you think might go far and surprise a lot of peple?
I meant the second one when I started the thread :)
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Uruguay
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Bookies aren't being overly generous are they with their prices - one of them are offering just 400/1 on Tunisia to win the World Cup !!!!!

Dark Horse - Iran .

I hope the Winner is the one that plays the best football .
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

I'm going with the American Baseball commentator the other day and his dark horse.

Queens Park Rangers. :thup:
Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:The Bookies aren't being overly generous are they with their prices - one of them are offering just 400/1 on Tunisia to win the World Cup !!!!!

Dark Horse - Iran .

I hope the Winner is the one that plays the best football .
I guess after Leicester they've learned to never say never! 8-)
Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound »

Mexico :D