Canada , Mexico and USA win world cup 2026 bid

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Canada , Mexico and USA win world cup 2026 bid

Postby sicknote on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Rab C Nesbitts twin sister won't be having any of that, they will go with either iceland and ireland or the scandinavian countries,for a joint bid, that ones been muted before, she knows a finals with us will mean they dont get the final wembley will

that would proper turn her into one of the crankies
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby Puff Daddy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm

chalks wrote:Fortunately there is no way I will be alive for this.

I've just worked out I old I will be by then and I will be ****ing old, or too ****ing senile to understand what the **** is going on
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 pm

The World Cup should never be given to the US. The majority of the population know nothing about, or care about, the worlds no 1 sport and they can';t even call it by its proper name. It is an absolutely illogical and ridiculous decision. As another poster said, I won't be alive to see it anyway.
trevshead10may1980

Postby Cellar-door on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Parkeslife wrote:How can the USA, with a President who wishes to alienate Mexico from any sort of meaningful existence, including the building of a wall, be able to effectively joint organise a World Cup.

Because the US federation is entirely private, and it is impossible that Trump could be President in 2026, .

Overall, US makes the most sense of almost any host, huge so there isn't the issue of overcrowding 1 or 2 cities, dozens of state of the art new high capacity stadiums, and most importantly.... profit. The 1994 WC is still the most profitable in history, despite the field having expanded since then. Given the built in fanbases for just about any team, the ability to actually charge high prices for every single match it is a financial coup to have the WC in the USA.
Cellar-door

Postby vietnammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 pm

trevshead10may1980 wrote:The World Cup should never be given to the US. The majority of the population know nothing about, or care about, the worlds no 1 sport and they can't even call it by its proper name. It is an absolutely illogical and ridiculous decision. As another poster said, I won't be alive to see it anyway.

Bigger population? The percentages of football (Saccer) fans might not be great but that doesn't mean the numbers aren't. They have a pretty respectable history in international tournaments (kicking Italy up in the air in 2006 might be an exception - most physical WC match I've seen) so 'they' for the US is a bit too general imo. Japan and Korea didn't cause any problems by being in two countries, and neither did Poland Ukraine in the Euros (apart from a dirty great rainstorm).

Agree that it is, well anything is, a better move than Qatar. Don't see why future WCs shouldn't be continent-based rather than held in a single country. Aus. excepted.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby hammer1975 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Fifa seem to be more motivated by trying to widen their supporter base into new regions than anything else

I have the impression of a bunch of stuffy old guys in a room wanting to leave a ‘legacy’

Uk is a captured audience - they probably see no benefit of putting it here
hammer1975

Postby pablo jaye on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Parkeslife wrote:How can the USA, with a President who wishes to alienate Mexico from any sort of meaningful existence, including the building of a wall, be able to effectively joint organise a World Cup.

That might be quite effective against free-kicks.
pablo jaye

Postby mixture on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Guess I'm in the minority but I think it will be a fantastic event held over three countries who have what it takes to make it a very special tournament.
mixture

Postby vietnammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 pm

vmixture wrote:Guess I'm in the minority but I think it will be a fantastic event held over three countries who have what it takes to make it a very special tournament.

:thup: I'll be 67 by then, dunno about younger people who reckon they'll be dead. Wallow in your mid-life crisis!
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 pm

vmixture wrote:Guess I'm in the minority but I think it will be a fantastic event held over three countries who have what it takes to make it a very special tournament.

It'll be a great tournament.

94 was amazing.
Mega Ron

Postby Samba on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Fortunately there is no way The Donald will be alive for this.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Same vmixture, I think it will be superb and also makes it fun to have it at odder times, late at night with mates round, in the pub etc.

1994 was a sensational World Cup - probably my favourite ever. If it's anything close to that, then it'll be a winner.

Football in North America has come on leaps and bounds, not just in quality, but in the overall infrastructure and understanding of the sport.

... and people still get hung up over them calling it soccer? Seriously, how old are you? 15?
They already had a 'football' so it makes sense to call it something different, so they chose to call it what we were calling it before anyone else.

As Het-Field says - a refreshing option.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby Samba on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 pm

chalks wrote:Fortunately there is no way I will be alive for this.

Puff Daddy wrote:I've just worked out I old I will be by then and I will be ****ing old, or too ****ing senile to understand what the **** is going on

I always thought that we should have got it in 2006 as Jerry had had it 8 years after us, in '74.
If we don't get it in 2030 but it isn't Europe, I suppose we could see it here in 2034.
If 2030 is Europe but not us, f me, we might not get a chance until 2042 at the earliest :shock:
Let's face it, it might even not be until 100 years of hurt...
Samba

Postby Samba on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Mega Ron wrote:It'll be a great tournament. 94 was amazing.

Not for England..
Samba

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:27 am

I am not 100% sure, but I think that there were only two bids..

It wasn't as if the States, Mexico and Canada beat out a host of European countries (including England) to host the tournament.

My guess would be all of those who bid last time and got f**ked decided why bother. We gave them shedloads of money in our bids last time only for some stinking rich Arab country to fiddle a win, we went b**locks... no more.....

Have to agree though, 94 was a brilliant W.C. and most stadiums have been well upgraded since then..

New stadiums in 'ouston, Dallas, Atlanta and Minnesota to name a few.....no need for afternoon games to be played in blinding heat..

for instance today (and for the past 2 months) it's been 100+ feels like all the way until about 8 or 9 p.m.

Brutal to play in..........close the roofs and turn on the a/c

:lol:

Portland and Vancouver I think it is get great crowds.......
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Ofuzz on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 am

For what its worth......from a Hammer fan from Yellowknife, Canada (google map it). Canada is only scheduled to host ten of the eighty matches. We’re excited. Please research our history of hosting World Cups at ALL previous levels of football for both men/boys and women/girls. The support and orginization has been amazing from our country. FIFA Im sure had no problem with the Canadian portion of the bid as our record speaks for itself. No need to mention of our three host Olympic cities over the years but so far, we, as a country have proven to be a safe, gracious and welcoming host of world events. Im confident we’ll continue this for 2026. As for England fielding a team with Owen Hargreaves JR trotting out onto the pitch in Toronto/Montreal or Edmonton????? well piss off with that boys. Seen that movie before lol ......we’re keeping our own this time.
Ofuzz

Postby Moxy on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 am

I agree hopefully the republic make it and I’d be very happy to go.
Moxy

Postby James P on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 am

I think the hosts are fine. I’m just irritated that it’s been extended to 48 teams and hence the quality will be watered down even further.
James P

Postby Rays Rock on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 am

You know your face doesn't fit when Mexico hosts it's 3rd world cup and USA it's 2'nd since England only hosting in 1966.
Add to that Germany hosting it twice since 1966, that makes it 6 tournaments out of the 15 that have now been held since 66 that have been hosted more than once !

60 long years in the wilderness despite having the ready made footballing infrastructure to host immediately, Economy, No Voting collusion history, No mass drug scandal history, perfect weather conditions, no spurious political or religious views, no human rights issues etc, etc........

We get the message FIFA
Rays Rock

Postby StackerJJ on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am

If Qatar can win the world cup hosting without actually having any football stadiums worthy enough to host a non league game then there should be no question how the USA, Mexico and Canada can win it in a joint bid.

Mexico and USA specifically have great stadiums ready to host. Not shocked they beat out morocco at all to be honest. All 3 countries very very accessible for all the fans from all countries.
StackerJJ

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion