Why This Welshman Will Be Supporting England In Russia '18

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Why This Welshman Will Be Supporting England In Russia '18

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The 2018 World Cup kicks off today in Russia - England were the only Home Nation to qualify and despite their Squad containing not one West Ham player I still feel that I should get behind the English in their fight to win what would be their second World Cup .

So , why should a Welshman get behind England when most of my fellow countrymen and all of my adopted fellow countrymen will be backing anyone that England play wearing those silly ABE T shirts [ Anyone But England ] .

Well , first of all I have a beautiful English wife and our first born was born at Barnet General . Jennie's parents were the best In Laws a young man could ever have wished to have making me feel very welcome from the start .

I lived in England for 10 years studying [ well drinking ] at Hatfield Polytechnic then working and buying our first property at Potters Bar from '78 till '88 . I made some life long friends during my stay in what is Britain's most tolerant Nation .

Most of my fellow Kumbers are English - I've met four of them and they are truly the best people you could ever hope to meet , if the rest of you are half as good that'll do for me .

And lastly - I am sick to the back teeth of seeing Scotsmen and Welshmen have a go at the English for what went on 500 years ago [ and 50 years ago ] - as if they were responsible for what the British Government did to their respective countries . My Welsh Dad fought side by side with English , Scots and Northern Irish comrades , if he were alive today he would remember as I still do passing a car full of young Scots waving a German flag out of their car window after putting England out of the World Cup - I felt embarrassed and ashamed to be perfectly honest with you . I wonder what kind of country Britain would be today had Hitler been victorious back in '45 ?
Yes , I realise we're all Europeans today and that the Germans are a fantastic people but back in 1945 a lot of them weren't so nice . It isn't that long ago when this great country of ours was United , why can't it be so when one of our 4 countries plays in a World Cup ?

Anyway , enough of my talk - I'd like to wish England and my English Kumbers all the best for the 2018 World Cup . i
I hope you get past the Germans in the Quarter Finals and go on to win it . :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: Why This Welshman Will Be Supporting England In Russia '18

Post by sendô »

you'll be popular with the locals.
The Old Man of Storr

sendô wrote:you'll be popular with the locals.
I walked into our local a few years ago , it was full of people I knew and got on with well - Lineker was just about to take a penalty against Cameroon [ I think it was ] and he scored just as I got to the bar , I cheered the goal and got the dirtiest looks from everyone there - I just laughed at them and got myself a drink .

I'm not sure how you English would respond if Wales were the only representative in the World Cup , I suppose a few of you might cheer them on but many wouldn't . It seems to be a sad fact of life that no country gets on with their neighbours , humans like any other animal are territorial - healthy competition is all well and good but this hating for hating's sake is downright idiotic .
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Nice post TOMOS

It’s hard enough getting Englishmen to support England in recent years, let alone our neighbours.
The Old Man of Storr

James P wrote:Nice post TOMOS

It’s hard enough getting Englishmen to support England in recent years, let alone our neighbours.
Thanks , James .

Yeah , I've noticed that - I've lived in Wales , England and Scotland and although I love the Scots to bits I hate this ABE nonsense - England is a beautiful country and the English on the whole are brilliant people to be with .
SKY have destroyed a lot of what Football was about and there aren't any West Ham involved but this is your Country playing and they've reached the World Cup Finals - let's enjoy the football and be happy , there's enough misery in our lives without adding to it .
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

When I was Younger I was Heart Broken when ever England got knocked out or failed to qualify. Now I'm gutted when we win a corner.

In every other sport, it's England all the way. Just sadly not in Football.

In fact in Football, it's any one BUT England.

Crazy how far from alone I am in that as well.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

brothernero wrote:When I was Younger I was Heart Broken when ever England got knocked out or failed to qualify. Now I'm gutted when we win a corner.
Or you could just not watch?
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Just becasue I don't want England to win, does not mean I wont be watching the World Cup.

I still enjoy and love watching all Football.

I'm very much Looking forward to the World Cup, just Like I always do. Just not going to be supporting England.

Actually when it comes to Englands Qualifiers and friendlies, I very rarely watch them.
Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 »

The point I was making was, if you dislike England enough that you are gutted when they win a corner, maybe just don't watch England games.

Why do people continue to do things they don't enjoy, just so they can let everyone else know how much they don't enjoy them...
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

As I Said I don't watch England games, such as the qualifiers and friendlies.
If I do watch an England game, I will be cheering on the other team.

I will be watching as much of the World Cup as I possibly can. That's cause it's the World Cup and England being there means nothing.
Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 »

brothernero wrote: If I do watch an England game, I will be cheering on the other team.
Whatever makes you happy.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

It does thanks. :thup:

Loved the Iceland defeat, as did many others I know of or read about. :)
The Old Man of Storr

Are you English , Brothernero ?
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Yes.
The Old Man of Storr

Why the Anti England stance if you don't mind me asking - No West Ham players ?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

brothernero wrote:It does thanks. :thup:

Loved the Iceland defeat, as did many others I know of or read about. :)
That's a bit weird.

Many of us are a bit apathetic about the national side, but we still all want them to do well at the major tournaments.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Why the Anti England stance if you don't mind me asking - No West Ham players ?
Nothing to do with no West Ham players.

There are so many reasons, but to give the short version, it's a SKY generation, modern football, players attitude thing. Add to that the absolute god awful managers the FA keep appointing. Plus the FA itself.

Any other Sport, I'm England all the way, including the Women's football team. Just not the Men's national Football team.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

And many don't I'm afraid Sendo. Sad perhaps, wrong even, but very real and True.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Maybe it's because my Dad's a Scot, and although I always say I'm 51% English and 49% Scottish, I've always cheered on all the home nations, and to a lesser extent, Ireland.

However all this ABE nonsense really gets my back up. My Dad and many friends and relatives don't subscribe to this, but some are so rabidly anti-English I don't really care so much how the others fare these days, and respond to the anti-English 'banter' dished out on Facebook, etc.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: I'm not sure how you English would respond if Wales were the only representative in the World Cup , I suppose a few of you might cheer them on but many wouldn't . It seems to be a sad fact of life that no country gets on with their neighbours , humans like any other animal are territorial - healthy competition is all well and good but this hating for hating's sake is downright idiotic .
I supported Wales and Northern Ireland at the recent Euro's and Scotland and Ireland in previous finals (apart from against England ;)). Have always supported the home nations in any competition always have done. Might be cos I'm a "British" Englishman though, Welsh and Irish heritage: to be English is to be a mongrel :lol: