Why This Welshman Will Be Supporting England In Russia '18

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: Why This Welshman Will Be Supporting England In Russia '18

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Faithless -

That's a great attitude to have -

What's a bit funny is you could get a group of people in a village community or some such like , they could be made of English , Welsh , Scots and Irish and they would all get on , help each other out etc but when it comes to football they turn into something rabid , something unrecognisable to their everyday lives .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Whitters wrote:
However all this ABE nonsense really gets my back up. My Dad and many friends and relatives don't subscribe to this, .
Good to hear , Whitters . :thup:

p.s. I just remembered I once met a Scotsman , don't where now , he was wearing an England shirt - I asked him whether he was wearing it as some sort of a joke but no turns out he was an avid England supporter - there you go , eh .
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I am apathetic when it comes to England due to the pain of years gone by, and abhorrent individuals who I loathed seeing in the shirt. I am a proud Englishman though and do want a group of players to find something extra and prove me wrong.
Rather like Wales did in the Euros.
I'll be hoping for an alignment of stars just like at every tournement, however I can't invest emotionally like I did years ago. West Ham takes all my emotional investment and thats quite enough! :)
Chimera
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chimera »

My Mrs is Scottish... she gets annoyed with the ABE crowd... she totally supports England in any sport as long as they aren't playing Scotland, which is completely fair. Made me grow up a bit, lose the attitude and now I'll cheer on any home nation. As a product of this, when her father found out I'd support Scotland if they weren't playing England, he also changed... and will support other home nations. Its an odd one, maybe it just takes someone to start a domino effect.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

The first World Cup I remember was 78. No England, so we all supported Scotland.
Amazing tournament, they had. Screwed up against Iran and Peru, then need to beat Holland (as we always called them then) by three goals, was it?
They came so close. I'll never forget Archie Gemmill skipping through the Dutch defence. May still be the best World Cup goal I've ever seen (not including Maradona, of course).
I'll always support British teams - extending to Ireland. It seems a bit tiny-minded not to.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: I wonder what kind of country Britain would be today had Hitler been victorious back in '45 ?
The Nazi Party would be striking a deal with the SNP to retain power in a hung Parliament.

Sorry, twas against the spirit of your post. I don't mind the anti-England thing as a bit of 'joshing'. It's a source of entertainment between meself and a Scottish mate. Recall phoning him the day after England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 and without a word he just started a long, low gloating laugh. Same with a Spurs mate I'ver known for donkey's years. Trade rivalry and insults, but never get angry about it. Think people who do have problems.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:The 2018 World Cup kicks off today in Russia - England were the only Home Nation to qualify and despite their Squad containing not one West Ham player I still feel that I should get behind the English in their fight to win what would be their second World Cup .
I don't really mind if people don't want England to win but gawd bless ya, TOMoS. :thup:
I do think it's bad form though when you're watching an England game in an English pub & the landlord is vocally, very anti-English. Don't you want to sell your products? :?
& yes, I do cheer on Scots, Welsh, N.Ire & Irish if they're not playing us.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Agreed Samba. During the last Euros I was right behind Wales and Bale, even allowing for the Spurs connection too. There’s something magical about watching a great player drag an average team well above itself, Maradona, Ronaldo and it was exciting getting behind Bale doing it for Wales.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

If England or not playing and it doesn't effect England in anyway,i will always cheer the other home nations, Norn Iron,Wales and Scotland in that order.
I don't mind the banter, but with some from outside England it gets near the mark.And as one poster in this thread said, very annoying when done in an English pub.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Like many, I think the last time I really felt heartbroken about us not doing well was either losing 2-1 to Brazil when we went ahead and then Seaman got done from Goofys free kick, or a very young Rooney getting injured at the Euros just at the point where he looked like he might win us the competition.

Since then the FA & successive managers have conspired to dampen any enthusiasm AND help to bolster just how preferential the premiership & Sky money is to players efforts.

Dare I say it because hopefully it’s early days in his appointment, but Southgate genuinely seems to have put a little bit of pride and enthusiasm into the idea of playing for your country.

The biggest hurdle he has is that none of those on his watch are really world class, it might also be his biggest strength too, as there’s less obvious players being relied on by all to then mess up.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
I'm not sure how you English would respond if Wales were the only representative in the World Cup , I suppose a few of you might cheer them on but many wouldn't . It seems to be a sad fact of life that no country gets on with their neighbours , humans like any other animal are territorial - healthy competition is all well and good but this hating for hating's sake is downright idiotic .
In my experience, almost everyone would be behind the home country, whoever they were and the same goes for Ireland. When Ireland qualified for the world cup in the USA I was living in New York at the time and was fully behind them and very proud to consider them our own, the fact that almost the whole squad was born in England and the manager was English helped a little there. :) This hate England thing is very much for the other home nations but not for us.