Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Hammers Dad »

Every car I have owned has had a spider living in the wing mirror....why?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Hammers Dad wrote:Every car I have owned has had a spider living in the wing mirror....why?
Even spiders need somewhere to put their make-up on .

You'll find it was a female spider or one of those modern metrosexual spiders you're hearing more and more about these days - I bet you found a little spider make-up bag spun on to the wing mirror didn't you ?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Hammers Dad wrote:Every car I have owned has had a spider living in the wing mirror....why?
Do you reckon it’s the same one?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

DasNutNock wrote:

On reflection no
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

DasNutNock wrote:
Not sure, I'll ask next time I see it.
My daughter has one too in her mirror
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

ageing hammer wrote:
On reflection no
Good work.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I have a spider on my right wing mirror too. As it's our secondary car I don't get it cleaned as often as I should but they always come back after a day or two. My parking space at work is under a tree and in front of bushes so they must get in from there.

If it was on the left mirror it wouldn't be as bad but being my side the webbage (Yes, I'm sticking with that word!) Encroaches when I open the window. I just wipe it all off with my hand now. I'll let the little bugger claim the free rent.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Always amazes me when they're still there after a blast on a motorway.
That's some hanging on..
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Are there any land borders around the world where you go from driving on the right to on the left (or vice versa)?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Yes plenty. Thailand drives on the left and is surrounded by right driving countries.

I think there's generally cross over roads/bridges on busier roads, and just changing signs on smaller roads.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Samba wrote:Always amazes me when they're still there after a blast on a motorway.
That's some hanging on..
Spider's silk that they use to make their webs is amazing stuff. It's is five times stronger than steel of the same diameter and the tighter it is pulled, the stronger it gets. The most amazing thing about spider webs is that their design is such that if one strand breaks anywhere, the web remains intact and isn't weakened one bit.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Why can't you reprint train tickets ( in Ireland not sure in UK )

I was going to Dublin to catch a flight and my missus mislaid the train tickets. You cannot reprint them at the ticket machine and you cannot get more at the ticket desk either. The only option was to book more tickets and we ended up sitting across from our original seats that we had already paid for. We were lucky there was seats left as if we missed that train we missed our flight to Italy.

We could prove we had bought them as we had a receipt and email confirmation but no way will they leave you on the train without the ticket.

You can reprint a boarding pass for a plane ride so why can't you reprint a train ticket :eh:
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

ageing hammer wrote:Why can't you reprint train tickets ( in Ireland not sure in UK )

I was going to Dublin to catch a flight and my missus mislaid the train tickets. You cannot reprint them at the ticket machine and you cannot get more at the ticket desk either. The only option was to book more tickets and we ended up sitting across from our original seats that we had already paid for. We were lucky there was seats left as if we missed that train we missed our flight to Italy.

We could prove we had bought them as we had a receipt and email confirmation but no way will they leave you on the train without the ticket.

You can reprint a boarding pass for a plane ride so why can't you reprint a train ticket :eh:
Planes have allocated seating. There cannot be more passengers than there are seats.
Trains don't, so it would be possible for someone to sell/give their tickets to someone else, and then rock up with their receipt/email and say that they lost them.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

ageing hammer wrote:Why can't you reprint train tickets ( in Ireland not sure in UK )

Planes have allocated seating. There cannot be more passengers than there are seats.
Trains don't, so it would be possible for someone to sell/give their tickets to someone else, and then rock up with their receipt/email and say that they lost them.
WHU_Del wrote:
But my seats were allocated even had our names on the display above them, it was ridiculous seeing our names on two sets of seats and no one allowed sit in one pair of them. ( including us ) :D
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

If scaled up (or down) to the size of a person, which animal would be the most terrifying? I'm thinking maybe a spider, or an ant, or your mum.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote:If scaled up (or down) to the size of a person, which animal would be the most terrifying? I'm thinking maybe a spider, or an ant, or your mum.
A woman scorned any size it don't matter your ****ed
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

ageing hammer wrote: But my seats were allocated even had our names on the display above them, it was ridiculous seeing our names on two sets of seats and no one allowed sit in one pair of them. ( including us ) :D
Well, let's say me and the missus come and visit you and we decide to take a trip on the train.
You buy a pair of tickets, then give them to us. You keep the receipt and the email.
We all get on the train, we sit in the seats for Mr & Mrs Ageing, you sit somewhere else.
The guard comes along, we show our tickets, 'Thank you, Mr & Mrs Ageing' and then he goes down the train.
When he gets to you, you say 'Sorry, we lost our tickets, but I did pay, look here's the receipt and the email'.
If the guard doesn't charge you for new tickets, you travel for free.
Now I'm sure that you are an honest, upstanding citizen and wouldn't do that, but unfortunately plenty of people do.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Monkeybubbles wrote:If scaled up (or down) to the size of a person, which animal would be the most terrifying? I'm thinking maybe a spider, or an ant, or your mum.
Take your pick:
https://listverse.com/2010/08/09/10-for ... y-insects/
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Are there any land borders around the world where you go from driving on the right to on the left (or vice versa)?
I heard once that an HGV came off of the Woolwich Ferry & thought he had just re-entered continental Europe..think that he hit someone shortly after. :(
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

I've booked train tickets for the wrong date, the hassle trying to get that sorted out is unreal........