Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 29 days remaining

Post by Gsbgsb »

The thing is you cannot simply “replace them” - yes the squad may appear thin but it is numbers limited.

It is the reason for the legitimate concerns about Wilshere. The injury is not such an issue with Lanzini as you know he will be gone until at least January, probably most of the season so you can buy someone or get a loan in to take his place in the 25. With Carrol and Reid’s “3 month” injuries they are still going to command a squad place as otherwise you cannot play them until at least January and if they are fit then what will you do with the replacements? To have 160k a week in wages or the better part of £7.5-8m a year not just out injured or sitting on the bench but actually incapable of ever contributing is not going to happen.

It effects all the planning as well, if we suddenly go for Rondon we may need to either abandon another non-homegrown target or sell one we already have (and Reid is no longer an option) over and above those we have probably planned for if the 3 further arrivals are correct.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Rondon ain’t a superstar but he nets 8/9 goals a season in a team permanently down the bottom of the league notorious for not creating chances. He puts himself about, makes runs inbehind and bullies defenders. He’s not ‘next level’ or anything but he’d do a job and be a decent signing for the right price. Wouldn’t mind him as back up to Arnie/Hernandez.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Any chance of getting Danny Ings either loan or loan to buy, Another Hernandez type poacher.
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

sorry double post
Last edited by Exiledin cardiff on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

HammerPDC wrote:Salomón Rondón ... deary me we are just finally starting to show a tiny bit of ambition why would we want a striker that doesn’t score goals and doesn’t provide assists :shock:
He's scored 1 in 4.5 in a Tony Pulis team compared to big Andy's 1 in 3.75. When managed at Malaga by our current Manager he scored 1 in 2.7 which ain't too shabby for a player we can pick up for around £10-15m Also unlike Mr Fitness he's usually available for selection.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

HammerPDC wrote: From what iv seen Rondón has played 108 Premier League games for West Brom and scored 24 goals with 7 assists?

Carroll and Hugill isn’t a great selection but Rondón an upgrade? Not a chance
That's more what you've read than what you've seen. His overall contribution come the end of the match is ALOT more than his goals.
I'm not saying he should be starting by any stretch but to fill Carroll void easily and yes he is better than Hugill no question.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

I'd be more than happy with Rondon. Always seemed a handful.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Get Ginge back for a year now Burke has gone too.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Teodorczyk available for £10m, supposedly, from Anderlecht. 15 in 40 for them last season, 30 in 53 the year before.

Be perfect as a Carroll replacement.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

good news Pell is not going torush they guys backif they are not ready
Whu_Law23
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by Whu_Law23 »

I like Rondon. 9, 8 and 7 goals in his 3 previous seasons for West Brom, who aren’t exactly the most attacking side in the world. Pretty solid return for a relegation battling team (admittedly they finished 10th one of those years, but you get my point)

Holds the ball up, good injury record, previously worked with Pellegrini, seems a nice bloke. Yes from me!
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

Antonio for £15m, they must be joking.
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... m-west-ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

If we get more than £15 million for Antonio I'll be amazed.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain

Post by Ted Fenton »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Carroll Reid , eh , talk of the devil , I'd be expecting the third man to join them soon .
Great, I'll get my zither
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

For Antonio read Sakho.

Take out his purple patch (Payet patch) and he has been stark average and injury ravaged. But he’s English so people tend to overegg how good he is.

15 goals in 2016, 3 in 2017, 2 in 2018.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

StackerJJ wrote: That's more what you've read than what you've seen. His overall contribution come the end of the match is ALOT more than his goals.
I'm not saying he should be starting by any stretch but to fill Carroll void easily and yes he is better than Hugill no question.
Iv seen him play too, he holds the ball up quite well I mean for that and the price West Brom would want for him it’s just not worth it

It’s one thing scoring 8 - 9 goals a season consistently for West Brom but that’s over 30+ games a season playing second fiddle to Arnie and Chicharito I doubt he’d ever really be threatening the opposition net making 4 - 5 starts a season injury permitting
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I hope I'm not giving him (and his team) too much credit but it feels like Allardyce, Bilic and Moyes were happy to throw Carroll and Reid in to the team then deal with the injuries when they happen.

Sounds like Pellegrini has actually ordered them to find out what's causing all of this and having surgery to try and prevent it happen again, rather than nursing them for a few games and them limping off.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I’m fairly sure Rondon has a fairly reasonable release clause in his West Brom contract. That would be the appeal. Cheap, proven back up that the manager knows well.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

HammerPDC wrote:It’s one thing scoring 8 - 9 goals a season consistently for West Brom but that’s over 30+ games a season playing second fiddle to Arnie and Chicharito I doubt he’d ever really be threatening the opposition net making 4 - 5 starts a season injury permitting
I understand your point, I'd counter that with it could well be Chicharito that sits on the bench he has a lot to do to prove he deserves a starting place for me.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

thejackhammer wrote:I’m fairly sure Rondon has a fairly reasonable release clause in his West Brom contract. That would be the appeal. Cheap, proven back up that the manager knows well.
He does, depending on reports it's between £8-16m. Guess we'll find out if Pellegrini still rates him or not soon enough.