Arsenal 3-1 West Ham Utd (25/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread (25/8)

Post by Patito »

People are allowed to have their opinions. I Don’t think it’s a particularly extreme opinion either.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Arthur played 15 times out of 29 on the wing for Valenciennes and 18 times for us
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Regardless of where he plays, he doesn't have the decision making or final ball at this level. He's not a Premiership player really and never will be.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

If we are going to play 4-4-2, I think Masuaku is the ideal person to play on the left side in front of Cresswell. I really hope Snodtrass and Antonio have great 1st halves of the season so we can sell them and move Anderson to the right side, and push Masuaku up to left midfield, and bring in a more defensive left back to compete with Creswell
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Masuaku was excellent yesterday in my opinion. He’s a modern fullback. They’re all better going forward than defensively these days. It’s up to the midfield and centre halves to compensate and why the top clubs often deploy two disciplined and energetic defensive midfielders. Centre half and DM are also the areas we are weakest, hence why people tend to highlight our fullback’s deficiencies. I like him, he’s fun to watch.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Is he (Arthur) a modern fullback, a wing back or an old fashioned winger? Both in terms of a) what duties we give him and b) his best position? I like him but I can’t make my mind up how he should fit in.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Based on the fact that when he gets in the opposition half, he is utterly useless 9 times out of 10.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I thought we played well in the first half of the Bournemouth game and were Arsenal's equal for the entire game yesterday – albeit that equality also mirrors their negatives.

Talking about performances when the results are bad is often the refuge of the scoundrel, but I'd go along with it at the moment. We have some glaring weaknesses but there is a lot to like too.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

arthur was excellent going forward and did well for the most part at the back. arsenal relentlessly targeted that flank so the fact they got the best of him a few times was more a numbers game than anything.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Beavis Danzig wrote:arthur was excellent going forward and did well for the most part at the back. arsenal relentlessly targeted that flank so the fact they got the best of him a few times was more a numbers game than anything.

That may be true, but you could ask why they chose to target him. I didn't see the game so I won't pass an opinion on yesterday's performance.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Beavis Danzig wrote:arthur was excellent going forward and did well for the most part at the back. arsenal relentlessly targeted that flank so the fact they got the best of him a few times was more a numbers game than anything.
goa127 wrote: That may be true, but you could ask why they chose to target him. I didn't see the game so I won't pass an opinion on yesterday's performance.
They chose to target him as they perceived he wasn't very good at defending(along with many on here). He defended very well according to bubbs' stats and in my opinion.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Iwobi/Monreal played against Fredericks, Arfur had Mhikitarytan/Bellerin .

If you're an Arsenal player, which way are you going to play?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

bubbles1966 wrote:Iwobi/Monreal played against Fredericks, Arfur had Mhikitarytan/Bellerin .

If you're an Arsenal player, which way are you going to play?
Monreal scores more than Bellerin and normally setups more than him per season...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Arsenal have the lowest percentge of attacks down their left in the league. If the choice is passing to Mhikitaryan or Iwobi, it's similar to being offered the choice of Payet or Antonio.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

On the subject of Mkhitaryan....

Mkhitaryan got away with persistent fouling all game. Him and Xhaka must have notched up nearly a dozen fouls between them stopping us breaking.

No way we would have got that treatement from the officials.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote:Masuaku was excellent yesterday in my opinion. He’s a modern fullback. They’re all better going forward than defensively these days. It’s up to the midfield and centre halves to compensate and why the top clubs often deploy two disciplined and energetic defensive midfielders. Centre half and DM are also the areas we are weakest, hence why people tend to highlight our fullback’s deficiencies. I like him, he’s fun to watch.
This.
In a team like Palace he would be a superb fullback.
Van arnholt and that youngster they have a RB aren't the best 'defwnders' either tbf but get rave reviews.
Arthur is a great LB for where we want to get to in 3-5 years time so best to stick with him and work on his game.
He isn't good enough in the final third to be a winger but plenty good enugh to be an attacking full back
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

We looked "better" against Arse because they allowed us space and time in dangerous areas of the pitch. They are the worst Arsenal team in my lifetime, so I wouldn't get too excited just yet about a turnaround in form.

Like our previous 2 games we looked liked conceding a goal every time they got near our box.

Wolves looks like a make or break game in so many ways and we're not even 5 games into the season!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

^^^^^^^

You could be right Eggy, I tell you what though, I am more happy with our team than I would be of Arsenal.

We have had a terrible start and are only finding our feet, but there is a bit of light at the end of our tunnel.

I don't think the same about this Arsenal side they are going to be pretty poor this season( imo.)
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I finally got around to watching the highlights yesterday and although they never paint a full picture i thought it looked really positive. Anderson is electric with the ball, to have a player with that speed and balance with the ball at his feet is a massive bonus when we break on the counter. It looked like the team were more balanced though with Sanchez protecting and Arnie, Snodgrass and Anderson linking up well...Antonio looked a bit sloppy with his decisions but i can see why he would want his pace with Arsenal letting their full backs bomb forwards and leave gaps.

The chances we had in the first half, we could have been out of sight. We looked like we were unlucky, second season in a row Arsenal have got a very fortunate goal against us and a massive slice of luck. Can't really blame the defence this time and the third goal was purely because we were chasing the game. Fabianski also looked top class, some unbelievable saves.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

ageing hammer wrote:^^^^^^^

You could be right Eggy, I tell you what though, I am more happy with our team than I would be of Arsenal.

We have had a terrible start and are only finding our feet, but there is a bit of light at the end of our tunnel.

I don't think the same about this Arsenal side they are going to be pretty poor this season( imo.)
Its a tough job for Emery who needs the season to put his mark on things and needs a couple more transfer windows get the right players in. He has to instil his methods and completely overhaul a team thats been ruined the last few years by Wenger imo. He needs to change personnel as well as their mentality...i wouldnt be surprised if they finished outside of Europa places this season in all honesty. I think Emery is a great manager but he will need a lot of time to change that squad and get them playing his way.