Arsenal 3-1 West Ham Utd (25/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread (25/8)

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Been thinking for the past 2 days now.... why didn't Snodgrass just lift it over the keeper? :?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

ageing hammer wrote:
We have had a terrible start and are only finding our feet, but there is a bit of light at the end of our tunnel.
There is a glimmer. It needs to be more than that come 5pm this Saturday afternoon.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I was a goal out with my prediction.

Improved performance, but we lost 3-1, the kind of thing that struggling sides do. I'm actually concerned a bit now, failure to beat a no doubt buoyant Wolves, also searching for their first win but fresh from holding the champions to a 1-1 draw, will see us in deep after just four games.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Been thinking for the past 2 days now.... why didn't Snodgrass just lift it over the keeper? :?
Honestly mate I was gutted when he missed it because I knew exactly what was going to happen. If he puts it in its a completely different game and we probably would have been able to get a draw at least.

It happens though!
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Been thinking for the past 2 days now.... why didn't Snodgrass just lift it over the keeper? :?
dink it you prick - was what i was screaming at the tv as i watched it in front of about 7 arsenal mates
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Baffled how people think Arthur had a good game.

I was at the game and he really doesn't have a clue who is around him and where he should be. His body shape is all wrong when defending against people, he stands square on and is always flat footfooted when defending.

The sooner we get him away from left back the better. The reason teams are targeting him is because he is the weak link. We've conceded 9 goals in 3 games and off the top of my head 7 have come down his side.

Going forward, he's better, I wouldn't say great, but he's better.

Thought we, as a team, played really well. We looked dangerous the majority of the times we went forward.

We'll be fine, I came away from Saturday a little unhappy with the result, but excited about how we played.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

We should've won.

Plenty of chances. Typical West Ham that their winner is a crap cross that hits a defender running back and deflects beyond the keeper.

Some great counter attacking football from us. Different defensive frailties this time though, which was nice I suppose.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Row X wrote:Baffled how people think Arthur had a good game.

I was at the game and he really doesn't have a clue who is around him and where he should be. His body shape is all wrong when defending against people, he stands square on and is always flat footfooted when defending.

The sooner we get him away from left back the better. The reason teams are targeting him is because he is the weak link. We've conceded 9 goals in 3 games and off the top of my head 7 have come down his side.

Going forward, he's better, I wouldn't say great, but he's better.

Thought we, as a team, played really well. We looked dangerous the majority of the times we went forward.

We'll be fine, I came away from Saturday a little unhappy with the result, but excited about how we played.
First Liverpool goal was crossed from the right to the left centre of goal, the whole defence was caught out for that. Masuaku was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Second Liverpool goal cam from playing a high line, cross from the right to Milner who crossed it back in.

Third goal was crossed from the right to the centre and was offside.

Fourth goal was cross from the right in from the left of centre.

Bournemouth’s first goal was Calum walking through out defence on the right side of goal. Someone one the Bournemouth thread found a way to put blame on Masuaku on that.

Their second was from a free kick conceded by Ogbonna with Masuaku in the 2 man wall.

Arsenal’s first was crossed in from the left to the right where Monreal wasn’t marked because Midfielders didn’t’t track back to help. Masuaku was left isolated while Bellerin, the fastest right back in the league, and Mkhitaryan were passing it around him.

Second came from a poor clearance to the centre of goal from Diop, passed to the right, then came off of Diop’s back.

Third was crossed from the left, no-one in central defence marking Wellbeck for a free goal.

So, yeah, I get that this site seems to have a 11 side blame die with 9 faces being Masuaku, but he’d have to be superman to be blameable for all of them, I’m not saying he couldn’t have done better in some situations, but I bet most here wouldn’t have even dared blame Cresswell for the same things.
Last edited by Stulaw on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cresswell has had pelters on here as well.

You are being very kind to Masuaku on some of those goals imo, Stu, particularly Liverpool's first.

(And I don't even mind Masuaku).