West Ham Utd 0-1 Wolves (01/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Wolves: match thread (01/09)

Post by simon1982 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^^ Re. Anderson. At one point yesterday he got the ball on the left wing just inside the opposition half, ran forward past two opponents nearly to their penalty area then stopped, did a one eighty and took the ball back to where he started. Who knows?
That was a joke! Pathetic, I’m saying it and don’t care if it’s after 4 games. He is going to be toilet. You could swallow it if he was 19/20 but he is 25 now. I can’t see anything from him that says match winner.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Everything we did right last week we we weren’t able to yesterday. Against arsenal we hit them on the break with pace and it bothered them.

At home where we have to take the initiative we struggle to break sides down. We still don’t have a player to pick holes in the opposition defence. Wilshire isn’t that player. To be honest lanzini isn’t either.

We look slow and ponderous. First instinct isn’t to play in behind the defence, it’s too look sideways or back, allowing sides to regroup. We have to play with a much higher tempo.

The bigger sides may allow us a bit more time and space but the likes of wolves are compact and will stifle and frustrate.

Plus points today were fabianski again who let’s face it saved us from a hiding. Thought Diop and balbuena showed promise at times too.

Snodgrass makes noble look like usain bolt and slows us down badly. Shouldnt have been sacrificed before Antonio though. My thoughts on him are elsewhere.

I actually think We’ll beat Everton. Hopefully it will spark us into life, but until we find the formula into making that Olympic stadium really ours and a place teams hate coming to we’re going to struggle
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Rio

said that on another thread...slow ponderous ball movement.....no balls to space, nothing between and behind defenders...everything played in front of them....makes it very easy to defend..

only cracking ball I can think of was Sanchez over the top to, I think, Antonio who had made a great run between and behind....

must have been in the first 5-10 minutes because Antonio disappeared after that....
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Rio

said that on another thread...slow ponderous ball movement.....no balls to space, nothing between and behind defenders...everything played in front of them....makes it very easy to defend..

only cracking ball I can think of was Sanchez over the top to, I think, Antonio who had made a great run between and behind....

must have been in the first 5-10 minutes because Antonio disappeared after that....
Yeah. We looked good for for those first 5 minutes. The rest left my son saying it’s the worst game he’s witnessed. And he’s seen a fair few candidates
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Those Wolves fans are pretty spot on sadly.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

“West Ham have destroyed themselves and the culture of the very club itself and all for what? Greed?

I don't like the hammers but I feel sorry for their traditional fan base, they've been shafted.”

“I know someone who is an arsenal fan but has a West Ham season ticket cause its accessible and cheap, I wonder how many others are doing the same!”

“Terrible stadium for football. It has no soul”

Ain't that the truth :cry:
fleetyfoot
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by fleetyfoot »

leer34 wrote:Any team that spends 100 million and snodgrass and antonio are starting has failed in their aquisitions.
Especially considering we could have had Joao Mario back.
Javram

Post by Javram »

That was a joke! Pathetic, I’m saying it and don’t care if it’s after 4 games. He is going to be toilet. You could swallow it if he was 19/20 but he is 25 now. I can’t see anything from him that says match winner.[/quote]

re: Filipe Anderson. if you haven't done so already take a look at https://www.whoscored.com/Players/93026 ... e-Anderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then tell me who in their right mind pays greater than £30M for those stats. did this transfer happen because MP wanted him? was any due diligence done on this guy? i mean 21 appearances last season alone with 12 from the bench speak volumes to me!
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

grade anderson on a curve. he's twice been the best player in the west ham shirt and wasn't noticeably worse than anyone else yesterday.

bloke needs lanzini as much as everyone else though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I reckon he had one good game...against L'Arse...

that's it...the rest he has been fairly anonymous.....

and he was played in a pretty much free role............yesterday they stuck him back on the wing....

madness..I guess 42M buys nothing these days......
Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig »

no amount of money can guarantee you a player who can transform a broken team into a functional one.

the fact lanzini can somehow do it makes me wonder what the bloke's ceiling is.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

well if they can't be a game changer here and there, then I guess it's money chucked away......

early doors I know, but I would like to think that he could at least get the crowd on their feet every time he gets on the ball - but he doesn't....like Payet used to..whenever he got the ball there was a buzz of expectation even if nothing came of it...it scared the living shyte out of the opposition.......
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

Really disapoiniting yesterday after the positives from Aresnal and Wimbledon.

Thought we slow and ponderous and our passing was awful whereas Wolves were cleaner, sharper and had better ball retention.

Wes still seem no further forward in finding our best starting 11 and the very tough games coming up. Think things are going to get worse before they get better.
Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:well if they can't be a game changer here and there, then I guess it's money chucked away......

early doors I know, but I would like to think that he could at least get the crowd on their feet every time he gets on the ball - but he doesn't....like Payet used to..whenever he got the ball there was a buzz of expectation even if nothing came of it...it scared the living shyte out of the opposition.......
that's cause payet was an absolute mercurial genius and one of the most natural footballers on the planet.

if we was 100% motivated for his whole career he'd be competing with messi and ronaldo for the balon d'or.
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

I travelled down with a Wolves fan (long journey home). He said that it is the worse they have played this season.

He was very unimpressed with our performance and commented how awful the atmosphere was compared to how intimidating UP was,
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I am not saying that he has to BE Payet-like, just someone who gets the crowd buzzing and the opponents shittingabrick...

He is so easily defended - I wonder what he brings.I have yet to see him beat a player with some trick..he's a smaller version of Antonio - push it past the opponent and beat them for pace..except he doesn't have Antonio's strength to hold them off..........

As I say early doors and hopefully he will show something "special" or we've chucked 42M down the drain...

15M for Shaqiri looks money better spent...and I wasn't specifically campaigning for him here....
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

As others have commented only slight positive was Fabianski. Without him could easily have been 3 or 4.
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

Too often we tried one twos that weren't on and tried running through players. Full backs and wingers just didn't link up well at all. And when we got forward into crossing positions too often we had to check back as no one was in the box.
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

was poor i though.

we lacked energy, we were second to every ball and they showed no attacking intent and instead were content with stroking the ball around. no urgency whatsoever.

fredericks looked out of his depth imo.

takes the piss a bit pelligrini making subs at 45 minutes, he did the same vs liverpool...almost like he doesn't know his first eleven.

onwards and upwards but don't hold much hope for the next three games.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

the pink palermo wrote:
Yesterday it was on the bench.

Who else is still left at the club who gives a toss ?
Of those who started yesterday there were just 3 players from last season's squad , Cresswell , Antonio and Arnautovic - there's no continuity from week to week let alone from the players that started last season - It's ok buying 10 new players but perhaps introduce them slowly into the side...on merit . It looks to me that he may have pissed off too many players all at the same time , I could be wrong but it's looking like it .
He should have discovered the spine of the team in pre-season then tinkered with the positions he was unsure of . The Captain should be playing alongside Sanchez , he hasn't done any worse than anyone else , Adrian played for a team that finished 13th last season , Fabianski's team got relegated so until our Goalkeeper deserved to be dropped he should have started as our No1 .

Adrian - Ogbonna - Cresswell [ I realise he wasn't fit at the beginning of the season ] - Noble - Arnautovic should be the spine , they should play week in week out until they deserve to be dropped - Too many changes too often , the team needs stability and it needs to have a proper Captain playing on the pitch .