Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by sendô »

The maths was fine, it was the distance across the known universe that I was guessing at from memory.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Our galaxy is called The Milky Way, english name of our galaxy is derived from its Latin name: Via Lactea. translated, that means “the road of milk.
There is an estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe or so.
It's mind boggling.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Question for the worm drowners on the forum.

I'm not a fisherman, never have been, but I do like watching some fishing programmes on the telly. One thing I've noticed is when the anglers are using light gear in rivers the line guides are underneath the rod, whereas when it's about big stuff in the sea the guides are on top. Is there a reason?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I'm not a fisherman, never have been, but I do like watching some fishing programmes on the telly.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Shy Ted wrote:Our galaxy is called The Milky Way, english name of our galaxy is derived from its Latin name: Via Lactea. translated, that means “the road of milk.
It's mind boggling.
you only have to get a decent set of Sky bins and point to a dark patch of the galaxy on a clear night and see the stars in that area, it is stunning
Burningaham

Post by Burningaham »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Question for the worm drowners on the forum.

I'm not a fisherman, never have been, but I do like watching some fishing programmes on the telly. One thing I've noticed is when the anglers are using light gear in rivers the line guides are underneath the rod, whereas when it's about big stuff in the sea the guides are on top. Is there a reason?
It’s about the type of reel you are using. In sea/lure fishing you might be using a multiplier reel, and need to control the depth of your lure by controlling the barrel of the reel that is set at 90deg to the rod. The easiest way to the do that is with your thumb, which you couldn’t do if the reel was underneath.

I should add that in ‘big game’ fishing where the rod is harnessed to you, the reel with often have two gears and that it helps to have the strongest hand doing the reeling - where as usually your stongest hand or warps mum would be holding your rod
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cheers :thup:
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Shy Ted wrote:Our galaxy is called The Milky Way, english name of our galaxy is derived from its Latin name: Via Lactea. translated, that means “the road of milk.
It's mind boggling.
FreeWheeling wrote:you only have to get a decent set of Sky bins and point to a dark patch of the galaxy on a clear night and see the stars in that area, it is stunning
I live in London. We don’t do clear nights.

Isn’t the mind boggling bit the gist of the Asimov story “Nightfall”?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's mind boggling.
That's enough to keep the Mrs going for the rest of her life, I should think
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

FreeWheeling wrote:you only have to get a decent set of Sky bins and point to a dark patch of the galaxy on a clear night and see the stars in that area, it is stunning
Even better, get the Star Chart app for your phone. It maps star constellations, shooting stars, meteor showers etc. It's based on your location and if you sit out in the garden at night and just look up at the sky on a clear night, and look at this app, you can see all sorts. I'd never seen a shooting star in my life until my missus told me about this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .starchart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Question for the worm drowners on the forum.

I addition to the type of reel outlined by Burningham (Multiplier on top of the rod / fixed spool or centrepin below the rod) it is also because the guides are whipped to the rod using thread. For large sea fish they are traditionally on top of the rod so the weight of the fish (potentially larger) pulls the guides against the rod. If they were suspended under the rod, as per coarse & fly fishing rods) there is a chance the whipping could fail as the pressure is away from the rod.

Daiwa (among others) have produced interline rods where the line runs up the middle of the blank.

All reel types are available in left and right hand wind. However, I am not sure which hand Warp's Mum uses.
Shy Ted

Post by Shy Ted »

view from the shires wrote: I addition to the type of reel outlined by Burningham (Multiplier on top of the rod / fixed spool or centrepin below the rod) it is also because the guides are whipped to the rod using thread. For large sea fish they are traditionally on top of the rod so the weight of the fish (potentially larger) pulls the guides against the rod. If they were suspended under the rod, as per coarse & fly fishing rods) there is a chance the whipping could fail as the pressure is away from the rod.

Daiwa (among others) have produced interline rods where the line runs up the middle of the blank.

All reel types are available in left and right hand wind. However, I am not sure which hand Warp's Mum uses.

Left Hooker I believe :wink:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If we are supposed to be descended from apes, how come there are still apes?.Sorry, I don't get it
Shy Ted

Post by Shy Ted »

Puff Daddy wrote:If we are supposed to be descended from apes, how come there are still apes?.Sorry, I don't get it
Taken from:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/ ... m-apes.htm

The intersection of the two lines represents something special, what biologists refer to as a common ancestor. This apelike ancestor, which probably lived 5 to 11 million years ago in Africa, gave rise to two distinct lineages, one resulting in hominids -- humanlike species -- and the other resulting in the great ape species living today. Or, to use a family tree analogy, the common ancestor occupied a trunk, which then divided into two branches. Hominids developed along one branch, while the great ape species developed along another branch.

And then there are Millwall supporters which did not have a common ancestor, and come from a low form of pond life.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

sendô wrote:The maths was fine
nnnope :D
Burningaham

Post by Burningaham »

[/quote]

All reel types are available in left and right hand wind. However, I am not sure which hand Warp's Mum uses.[/quote]

Tackle Tart.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

you should know she can manage without using her hands...
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by djbubbles »

In the bible Adam and Eve had 3 sons. Cain, Abel and Seth.

My question is, where did the next generation come from?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

djbubbles wrote:In the bible Adam and Eve had 3 sons. Cain, Abel and Seth.

Some old dude's imagination.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

djbubbles wrote:In the bible Adam and Eve had 3 sons. Cain, Abel and Seth.
Warp's mum.
(My first ever).